What do you do when your game falls apart?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'll let you after tomorrow. Going in with a positive mindset, done some good short game work this week and just going to play with a head devoid of swing thoughts and just hit it, find it and hit it again. What can go wrong?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'll let you after tomorrow. Going in with a positive mindset, done some good short game work this week and just going to play with a head devoid of swing thoughts and just hit it, find it and hit it again. What can go wrong?

Predicted perfectly. A woeful weekend, especially today. Started with a birdie, which seemed to be fatal and it crumbled from there. Abject but I can say I tried on each shot today as we have a "bitch" in the Sunday roll up who acts as the drinks waiter for the group, especially the winner and is whoever comes last. Missed it by two points. Onwards though and try again next weekend. The simple answer to the OP's question is to keep trying as best you can, not get too stressed and enjoy the company and the scenery. It's not the be all and end all

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Since being cut to 13 I have not been able to put a round together.

Last week I shot a 2 over front 9 for 23 points, it felt like I could every club as hard as I wanted and contact and direction were spot on.

Then the back 9 I fell apart and feel like I can barely hit the ball. Have to scrap together points by hitting knockdowns and rely on up and downs. Finished with 34 and just sit in club house feeling gutted.

Same thing this weekend, 21 out then 14 back, truly frustrating, golf is the weirdest game

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
After shooting a new PB at the end of the year I really thought things were moving

Picked up an injury a couple weeks later resulting in nearly 3 months with no golf
Been back ‘playing’ for about a month mostly pain free but just can’t get tee shots in play with any kind of regularity (most due to a huge slice but not unknown to putting it straight left when I over compensate and then actually manage to nail one)

Normally when I lose my drive or some other issue a range bucket or two sorts it out again when I’ll remember what I stopped doing in my swing, but so far not this time

I’ll keep playing & going to range because as frustrating as it is on my scores/lost balls I know it’ll click again at some point. In the meantime I’ll keep enjoying the company & the sunshine and just play 2nd hand balls

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
After playing well last few weeks and ‘thinking’ I’m getting there, I had an absolute shocker yesterday, had no answer on why I was playing so badly, just wanted the ground to swallow me up, yet no one else was bothered.
Had a few malts last night to ease the pain 😂

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
After playing well last few weeks and ‘thinking’ I’m getting there, I had an absolute shocker yesterday, had no answer on why I was playing so badly, just wanted the ground to swallow me up, yet no one else was bothered.
Had a few malts last night to ease the pain 😂

go see party marty;)

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I just try to have one main thought - game is not good when I go out with lots of swing thoughts. Also, I tend to take one club more and swing easier, as it's very easy to try & smash everything

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Had a few malts last night to ease the pain 

See post no.22

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
Keep smiling be happy and get through it had a shocker #ScratchEvent +9 front nine with 3 pars to end. game over before you start shot 86 never got any ryhmn and then 2nd 18 it clicked shot 79 tough day and holed nothing just shows its mearly one of those mysteries.

I like taking the P1ss out of myself kinda helps keep me sane

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
play a manageable big slice with the longer clubs and scramble like a gooden.

hold on, thats my normal game. damm. haha

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
...mine has almost - and so on Friday I had a lesson in our Swing Studio. Swing was videod - and golly - first time I had ever seen me swing a golf club. Swing looked better than my gut...:(

And as I suspected there is a significant flaw in my swing that I have to sort as it causes me to shank-it. To the untrained eye my swing looks good...but...

So I have a few things to work on to stop me doing what I am doing (it is on the downswing). A couple I can put into play - others are just for the practice ground.

What is seen from the vids of a very goodie and a very baddie is that the backswings and body strike positions are very similar - it's the path the club handle is taking immediately after the strike that is the give-away - momentarily it's going away from my body rather then tucked close and round - and I never knew...and I have a sway going back - not a big one - but enough...when linked with the other stuff.

Blimey - sorting the swing get's complicated when tech is watching you. Clever tech mind.

Last edited:

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Had a few malts last night to ease the pain 

Same here. I blobbed four of the first five holes and made nett bogey on the fifth, so had one stableford point after five holes. It was as if I was cursed. I could not hit a shot ... no matter if it was a full shot, a chip, a putt ... it was as if I had never even touched a golf club before. I was that close to walk off the course ... It did get a little bit better after that, I managed to hit a few nice shots later and even made par on one hole, but I blobbed another four holes on the back nine and ended up with 22 pts. I felt so deflated. Like a rubber duck run over by a bulldozer. But I didn't even come last (not that it would have mattered that much) and actually two of the other three guys I was playing with also ended up with 22 pts. But once we had all come to terms with the fact that we would not get a score together (probably after all four of us had blobbed the 4th hole), we started to see the humour in it and actually ended up having a really good time.