What do you do when your game falls apart?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Self analysis.

If you are duffing/thinning/topping, you're swaying.
Keep your head still.

If you are having problems with direction, your swingpath/clubface are wrong.
Check your grip and swing more smoothly.

If its both of the above, go fishing with Smiffy ;)

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I have a few "emergency measures" that sometimes fix my swing on the fly: keeping my backswing shorter often helps, slowing the swing down, or concentrating on keeping the upper body still and focus just on the ball strike. If everything fails, I just stop keeping score (unless I am in a comp, in which case I somehow ride it out) and try to enjoy the occasional good shot or the weather or the company.

If the problem persists over several rounds, I film my swing and usually I can see that one of my familiar long term issues has crept back in. Once I know what it is I am doing wrong, I am usually able to fix it.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’ll use my 4 hybrid more and more. Just know I can get most kinds of shots from it and go from there .. Try to max my points

Carpfather1

Head Pro
Visit site
Ive had 3 stinker rounds on the bounce,but Ive kept soldering on and then today bang shot a 78 =2 under my handicap so landed,could play tomorrow and be awful again but that’s golf

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Had low 20's in the roll up the other week. Every part of the game out of sorts but kept ploughing away. It happens (more than I'd like) but as long as the company is good and it isn't pouring down then there are worse things to do at a weekend. If one area really falls away, I would go and get a lesson but as I understand my swing better now I can work it more and I'm trying to reduce my lesson time and work with what I have, and on what I was shown by Paul Foston now I'm injury free and in better health. Tried some of the points warming up and was going well but couldn't take it on the course. That for me is always the issue

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Played an absolute mare today. Nothing working. Threw my driver up a tree on the 12th tee. Sad thing is, it fell back down.

Bombed it down the long par 4 14th. 52 degree wedge in. Cue fat, thin, thin, thin, putt, pick up.

Finished birdie, par, par.

It happens.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Press the reset button.

But only if your game has gone completely humpty-dumpty and you need all the king's horses and all the king's men to put it back together again.

Which is what I am in the prcess of doing (starting year 3 of it)

But on a day-to-day basis if it goes a wee bit wonky I tell myself to 'trust my swing' because when a shot goes horrid wrong I know that I will have forced something because I wasn't trusting my swing (and the club). And that is working for me at the moment (well it did today)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Press the reset button.

But only if your game has gone completely humpty-dumpty and you need all the king's horses and all the king's men to put it back together again.

Which is what I am in the process of doing (starting year 3 of it)

But on a day-to-day basis if it goes a wee bit wonky I tell myself to 'trust my swing' because when a shot goes horrid wrong I know that I will have forced something because I wasn't trusting my swing (and the club). And that is working for me at the moment (well it did today)

And today I did this all the way round from the word go - and yup - 'no nasties' and 35pts. That the three doubles I had in my 9 shots dropped were down to poor decision making and a couple of slices of rotten luck rather than poor shots was good. I'll take the three doubles as I know I can eradicate them - and if I just play as I did the rest of the round - steady not dramatic - then portents are good for the summer and getting down to 6. And that is from the verge of chucking it 3 years ago as things were just soooo dire....

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Swung so poorly today. Tempo shot from the outset and so many moving parts. Managed to get it round which is something I don't always do and played within my limitations. It was ugly and frustrating but functional. I selected the easiest shot possible even if that was a 9 iron to move it 120 yards onto the short stuff. It's something I'm starting to learn from the better players who post an ok score when they aren't playing well

D

Deleted member 21258

I just carry on, try different thoughts out whilst swinging and if that fails just swing as hard as I can to get the frustration out !

Also helps to believe your next shot will be your best shot ever.

lex!

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I thought I played my best ever 3 weeks ago or so, for 37 points, where one mistake in that round prob cost me the win. Then scored 20 points in a recent comp. Mostly rubbish.

Far too many swing thoughts, all about what arms and shoulders and wrists, should be doing, instead of remembering that it's a bat on ball sport and you have to hit one with the other.

So I go back to left arm only swings, feeling club head weight, returning club to start position at impact and seeing the bat ball contact.

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
Totally lost my mojo with my new irons. 3 great shots will be followed by 5 shockers, 1 good one, 3 shockers and so on. Every part of the club face except the middle, just horrible. Have booked a lesson with my club fitter/pro to see if we can sort it out, all the fixes I have tried are providing no consistency. Interestingly I have always had an issue with getting good weight transfer, and now I think I am probably overdoing it, so casting to try and hit the balls as I am too far past it. Anyway, we will see.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Totally lost my mojo with my new irons. 3 great shots will be followed by 5 shockers, 1 good one, 3 shockers and so on. Every part of the club face except the middle, just horrible. Have booked a lesson with my club fitter/pro to see if we can sort it out, all the fixes I have tried are providing no consistency. Interestingly I have always had an issue with getting good weight transfer, and now I think I am probably overdoing it, so casting to try and hit the balls as I am too far past it. Anyway, we will see.

From post no.22

If you are duffing/thinning/topping, you're swaying.
Keep your head still.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Was back out this morning, first time since Friday's horror show. Glad to report I played what was mediocre golf but a long way removed from last week's total ineptitude. Scored 25 points which I would normally have been gutted about, but was actually quite pleased in the circumstances :D

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
This is getting painful.

Went to the range yesterday afternoon. Trying to make some changes to swing path to hit better drives, on the whole worked well. Hit 100 balls from driver to 9 iron and was happy with 90% of them.

Played this morning, duffed 9 tee shots in a row trying to deploy the new technique. The rest of my game started falling apart after about 4 holes, in sympathy with the tee shots. Duffed my drive on the 10th, and was on the verge of slinging my driver into the trees. Walked off to leave my 2 mates to it.

Totally pig-sick and haven't got a clue where it's going wrong. Think a lesson is my only hope.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This is getting painful.

Think a lesson is my only hope.

Ouch, that's rough man but listen it could be something really simple and a good pro will have you back to hitting it wel again. If you were hitting it on the range it can't be that far away. One tip I heard recently to take you range form to the course which has worked for me is "Turn". I tend to get quick and not turn my body in the early tee shots, it isn't til Ive loosened up/relaxed into the round that I start doing what I'd normally do at the range. The early tee shots are all arms and result in hooks usually. Small trigger and you'll be back, no panic.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Ouch, that's rough man but listen it could be something really simple and a good pro will have you back to hitting it wel again. If you were hitting it on the range it can't be that far away. One tip I heard recently to take you range form to the course which has worked for me is "Turn". I tend to get quick and not turn my body in the early tee shots, it isn't til Ive loosened up/relaxed into the round that I start doing what I'd normally do at the range. The early tee shots are all arms and result in hooks usually. Small trigger and you'll be back, no panic.

thanks for the advice. as you say, if I was hitting it well yesterday, it must be there somewhere!