What do you consider as an "up and down"

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Reading golf54 after a recommendation on here and really enjoying it.

One of the chapters suggest playing a game within the game to help try and focus on just the next shot. So from the book up a points game with +1 for FIR, +1 for GIR, +1 for up and down(no matter what the score ends up), +1 for a par, +2 for a birdie, +1 for a 1 putt and -2 for 3 putts or more.

Going to try and test it as I probably do get ahead of myself in games- also can be played competitively with friends to make it even more of a test.

Just got me thinking what would you consider an up and down? I'd probably say within 30 yards to middle of the green (say using my gps watch) but could 50 yards, 80 yards or any 2 shots be considered really? Obviously within this type of game it doesn't really matter as long as you stay consistent with it

Craigg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
That's far too much thinking for me in a round of golf. I have enough trouble counting all my shots! :eek:

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I.M.O. the final score for the hole isn't necessarily relevant, it doesn't have to be exclusively a par.

Come to think of it, distance is fairly irrelevant as well...

So, my definition is getting down in two when you are not on the green.

You can have an up and down to make a bogey for example.

Can, Worms... anybody?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I.M.O. the final score for the hole isn't necessarily relevant, it doesn't have to be exclusively a par.

Come to think of it, distance is fairly irrelevant as well...

So, my definition is getting down in two when you are not on the green.

You can have an up and down to make a bogey for example.

Can, Worms... anybody?

Totally agree. As long as it's one chip or bunker shot and a single putt I'd class that as an up and down

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That's far too much thinking for me in a round of golf. I have enough trouble counting all my shots! :eek:

It's actually meant to be the exact opposite mate... how often do you start a par 4 and think about getting a par on the tee? It's really to break down the hole and focus solely on getting the next point/objective... it's all psychology- forget everything else that's happened before or after your next shot be in the now.

The rest.... yeah one putt makes sense so will need to maybe rethink my points strategy as already have a 1 putt objective in there... or maybe still keep it as it's all about the thought process on next shot. Not sure will ponder

jamielaing

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
It's not anything resulting in a single putt or almost every birdie would be classed as an up and down. It's any time you get down in two starting with a chip/pitch. If you want to define that I'd say anything half swing or less.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Anything that is a shot that isn't a tee shot or a putt on the green and is followed by a holed single putt.

Hole out is anything that isn't a tee shot that goes in.

Two putt "X" ie two putt par is self explanatory.

Three putt pars are the worst of that bunch!

I can admit i have holed out for par from 150 yards