What defines a Golf Shoe?

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Re: What defines a Gold Shoe?

Anyone fancy these?

pDSP1-8184959p275w.jpg

UK customers are recommended to buy half a size bigger to accommodate wearing with socks (I made that bit up:D)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

These pimple sole designs aren't new. They were around in droves in the late 70's and start of the 80's and no-one batted an eyelid. The only variance I can see is the tongue that was en vogue then has gone and garish colours have been added. Nothing else has changed

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site

Would you run in golf shoes?
No, because they're not designed for running
Would you play cricket in golf shoes?
Would you play golf in cricket shoes ?

In the 1980s i used to play golf in my running shoes
I used to play cricket in my running shoes
i used to go running in my school shoes.
They were all the same pair of shoes - a black pair of Patrick shoes (which you might call trainers - they had no other colours on them, so probably dont meet half of your defintion of trainers). we were allowed to wear them - they were called school shoes, as long as they were all black.

They are onlt different types for different sports because it's marketing and persuading people to spend more than they need to. i dont recall Fred Perry doing too bad in his Dunlop Green Flash.

if you can demonstrate that a particular construction of a pair of shoes damages a golf course, then you have a basis for "banning" them . We know that trainers dont damage courses or greens (especially around the hole) because caddies wear them and if they did then the tours would be up in arms, but the're not, so they dont. I imagine a particulalry damaging type of shoes might be those that have big metal or plastic bits sticking out of the bottom :)

If it's style that one is are complaining about, then it's purely one's subjective perception and judgement about what a golfer should look like, and believe me you would be wrong, purely by reading the range of views on this subject on here.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site

Anyone fancy these?

pDSP1-8184959p275w.jpg

UK customers are recommended to buy half a size bigger to accommodate wearing with socks (I made that bit up:D)

Note the brand here, that iconic golf shoe manufacturer, and they do have soft spikes on the bottom - I know because someone gave my son a pair of junior ones. He wouldn't wear them though, not surprisingly. Not because they weren't fit for purpose, but because they don't have any street cred....

Someone posted the definition of a shoe here earlier in the thread. The word used to describe training shoes is "trainer", a shortened nickname. A training shoe was originally pretty generic and designed for playing sports. Over the years, the training shoe has been developed to have different characteristics for different sports. One could even argue that many of the golf shoes on the market are just evolved training shoes designed for purpose.

Does it really matter though? If a shoe company designs a golf shoe that doesn't have spikes, or is a different colour, or is a different style? I mean really, kids are being murdered in Syria, thousands are still homeless in Japan after the Tsunami, there's a million other problems in the world far greater than whether this shoe or that shoe is right for golf.

As far as I am concerned, if a shoe manufacturer (recognized golf manufacturer or not), comes out with a brand of "golf shoe", as specified by them, with the purpose of being designed to play golf in, with or without spikes, plain or with bright colour, then as far as I am concerned, it's a shoe for playing golf in. It then just boils down to whether I (that'll be me) like them and feel comfortable wearing them. If I do and I can afford them and want to buy them, again that's up to me. If I then choose to make said purchase and wear them on a golf course to play golf in, that is still totally my choice.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site

Strangely, these new 'street' golf shoes would not be allowed at my club but the golf sandals would. I am not sure that these new shoes were in mind when the dress code was created but it states that the shoes must have metal or soft golf spikes. These new shoes with the dimpled rubber soles would not fit in the definition. I think the rule was worded so as to be clear what was classed as a golf shoe and has been in place for several years but it has also inadvertently banned these new, more casual, shoes.

sydney greenstreet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Strangely, these new 'street' golf shoes would not be allowed at my club but the golf sandals would. I am not sure that these new shoes were in mind when the dress code was created but it states that the shoes must have metal or soft golf spikes. These new shoes with the dimpled rubber soles would not fit in the definition. I think the rule was worded so as to be clear what was classed as a golf shoe and has been in place for several years but it has also inadvertently banned these new, more casual, shoes.
What was classed a golf shoe by your commitee not by the golfing world, if Rose and Els wear them and they were made with the intention of playing golf in them then they are golf shoes, but your club has the right to have a dress code.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site

What was classed a golf shoe by your commitee not by the golfing world, if Rose and Els wear them and they were made with the intention of playing golf in them then they are golf shoes, but your club has the right to have a dress code.

I really do not think that the intention was to ban them but to provide a clear definition of what they meant by golf shoe for visitors, societies etc but by putting the need for spikes in the definition then they have done so inadvertently. I will send them an email out of interest to see what their comments are.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site

If they reply that it's because of the "look" of them, that would be funny. A mate of mine went out in an England shirt (the last incarnation with collar) which couldn't be banned as it was a collared shirt. He got some really angry/disgusted looks from the old farts :D

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

To answer the OP. The two outer pairs of shoes shown are made to play golf in and the middle pair aren't.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

If they reply that it's because of the "look" of them, that would be funny. A mate of mine went out in an England shirt (the last incarnation with collar) which couldn't be banned as it was a collared shirt. He got some really angry/disgusted looks from the old farts :D

and you didnt put him right,.... shame on you:whistle:

squeak2199

Hacker
Visit site

They are onlt different types for different sports because it's marketing and persuading people to spend more than they need to. i dont recall Fred Perry doing too bad in his Dunlop Green Flash.

if you can demonstrate that a particular construction of a pair of shoes damages a golf course, then you have a basis for "banning" them . We know that trainers dont damage courses or greens (especially around the hole) because caddies wear them and if they did then the tours would be up in arms, but the're not, so they dont. I imagine a particulalry damaging type of shoes might be those that have big metal or plastic bits sticking out of the bottom :)

If it's style that one is are complaining about, then it's purely one's subjective perception and judgement about what a golfer should look like, and believe me you would be wrong, purely by reading the range of views on this subject on here.

+1

IMO, what defines a golf shoe is whatever the latest marketing fad is.

sydney greenstreet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I really do not think that the intention was to ban them but to provide a clear definition of what they meant by golf shoe for visitors, societies etc but by putting the need for spikes in the definition then they have done so inadvertently. I will send them an email out of interest to see what their comments are.
Do people still wear spikes ? i mean pointy metal ones not soft.

SAPCOR1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Ah Messers Els, Rose and Couples, welcome! What an honour it is to have you three golfing legends come to play at our club.

Oh, wait a minute, I'm sorry but you cannot play here as you are wearing dimpled soles......

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site

Yes... A friend who has a disability still uses them as he believes they give him a better 'purchase' both on turf and in bunkers...

i wear / use the hybrid type spikes in winter - ie. soft spike with a metal spike in teh middle - works really well when the soft spike gets really clagged up with mud

Actually i would have killed for a pair of those sandals on sunday, after i had ripped off my big toe nail on saturday and couldnt get a golf shoe on