What defines a Golf Shoe?

sydney greenstreet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Re: What defines a Gold Shoe?

I don't know hence my original question. I would say that these new street shoes are Trainers and not golf shoes. Take for example the classic Adidas Samba, they have now put some studs on them and are selling them as golf shoes. Surely they are simply studded trainers and not shoes by any stretch of the imagination?
Trainers ARE shoes.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

Do trainers traditionally have a rigid sole? My shoes are rigid, my trainers are very flexible and soft soled.
Not saying anyone is right or wrong here just IMO trainers of any sort on the course should not be allowed for aesthetic purposes.

My swing shouldn't be on the course for aesthetic purposes but its there all the same ;)

la_lucha

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Ok enough with peoples opinion. I want to know what DEFINES a golf shoe not what you or I think defines one?

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site

First why the fuss now. Golf shoes with the dimple soles have been around for getting on for 15/20 years! Not all shoes have a ridged sole. Think Hush Puppy type shoes. The selling point was the fact you could roll them up. So if it says golf shoes on the box, its golf shoes in the box. Sorted.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site

I don't, personally, agree with them so don't have much more to add to the debate.
Over the years IMO, trainers have become something separate to shoes. Yes at the technicality level they are the same thing at base level in the same way that somewhere along the line all Ferraris are Fiats.
So as the Dragons say, I'm out.

la_lucha

Tour Rookie
Visit site

according to who, there is no such definition hence all the opinions

If there is no definition then what stops me rocking up in a pair of flip flops and claiming that they are made for golf? Surely the R&A must have some rules on footwear?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

If there is no definition then what stops me rocking up in a pair of flip flops and claiming that they are made for golf? Surely the R&A must have some rules on footwear?

Why would the rules of golf define what footwear is allowed? Only rules are to be found in clubs dress codes, hence why I said earlier I think you may find a few revise their codes in the near future

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

Ok enough with peoples opinion. I want to know what DEFINES a golf shoe not what you or I think defines one?

Ah now for the answer to that you'll need a committee!

Regardless of the question its never been about what defines a golf shoe instead it always about who defines a golf shoe!

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com

What defines a golf shoe?

Is it that it goes on your feet? ....it would otherwise be a glove or a hat :thup:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

Would you run in golf shoes?
No, because they're not designed for running
Would you play cricket in golf shoes?
Would you play golf in cricket shoes ?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

I think that for me the golf manufacturers/brands and ultimately the tour pros are defining it, i fully expect some clubs to bring out a clarification of what is a golf shoe in their dress codes in the foreseeable future but at the moment if its made for golf by a golfing brand then its a golf shoe in my book

agree with the first/last part of your post, but not the middle bit!

ultimately it's impossible to produce any meaningful definition beyond that in place currently. no-one should be pulled up on any of the shoes above alone - but the middle ones with nylon tracksuit bottoms might just get attention (actually so would FJ Classics).

you may well see some 'case law' and precedents at some clubs but to attempt to define 'golf shoes' in a way theat would seperate the 3 examples given sort of goes against the balance of your post IMO.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Surely these new trainer shoe adicross jobbies go against every piece of marketing that golf shoe makers have rammed down our throats for the past years

Take the atv 360, foot joy xps - designed with a superior chassis for stability and anchoring bla bla bla bla bla

The " sorry that's total crap.... Just buy style "

Jury shows manufactures fill us with what ever crap they think we will beleive and buy into

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

I find this thread really funny.
The slippery slope of crazy golf club dress codes.

Does it really matter what you wear on your feet whilst playing golf?

Cricket shoes, golf shoes, trainers, what is really the difference.
Years ago they had plastic shoes called greensneekers. Ok to wear them sir?

I can visualise lengthy heated committee meetings discussing this issue. {While the assistant pro continues to fiddle the green fees, the bar manager sells Tesco's finest out of the grouse optic, and the greenkeeper fills his car up with the mower petrol.}

AHA I have the answer. You need to keep your purchase receipt to prove to the dress police they are golf attire.