What can you do when a laser rangefinder fails?

Mark_Aged_42

Assistant Pro
Visit site
A new one is too expensive for me, but second hand is not.
If I bought a second hand unit and it dies, is that game over, chuck it in a skip, or are they repairable?
Is a repair likely to be economically sensible?
What is the expected lifetime of a laser range finder - will I be able to leave it to my children in my will? :)

Any info greatly appreciated.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
check the battery!!

Check the battery connections are not dirty.

Check it when it is warm ie take it home and keep it in the house for a few hours

I had one fail after about 2 years and just bought another one but both units were less than £100.

Cost of repair would be manufacturer dependent and if a top quality unit ask them, may be a fixed price repair.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
As stated in another thread, I bought my Bushnell V2 7 odd years ago 2nd hand...Still going strong.
I doubt a repair would be realistic given you can get other lasers for 100 notes - it would cost that to ship it and have someone open it up to see what the issue is....
Obviously you need to be careful buying 2nd hand.
New lasers can be had for 100-150 or even less..

Mandofred

Visit site
It's seems to be the way of electronics these days....often easier/cheaper to just buy another one. I have a laptop that is only a couple of years old, but every once in a while I think it might be having some issues. If it does, I won't repair it.....I'll just buy a new one and donate the old one.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
As stated in another thread, I bought my Bushnell V2 7 odd years ago 2nd hand...Still going strong.
I doubt a repair would be realistic given you can get other lasers for 100 notes - it would cost that to ship it and have someone open it up to see what the issue is....
Obviously you need to be careful buying 2nd hand.
New lasers can be had for 100-150 or even less..

My bushnell was bought June 2015 and I’m waiting for it to die so I can buy an improved version. No point is selling as I’d get less value out of it than using it until it goes now.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Bushnell used to have phenomenon customer service and after sales. Had two units replaced, one was just because the rubber eye cover fell off. The company that took over could care less it appears. My pin seek vibration stopped and they were not the slightest be interest. Even though it was only 2 years old. I won't be buying another bushnell if I can help it.