What are your biggest etiquette irritations?

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I found a coin (had to search) to mark my ball in my first competition in a long time on Wednesday - used it on first green to line my ball up nicely on two of my four putts - stayed in the pocket after that. Was a novelty having money on my person for first time in over a year.

Mad really isnt it! I literally cant remember the last time I went to an ATM?!

Mark the ball with your credit card or apple watch instead :)

Exactly! My apple watch sits perfectly flush with the turf! :ROFLMAO:

sunshine

Visit site
It is strange that my children's concept of money is beeping my phone on a reader. My youngest doesn't recognise the different coins.

John Dewey

Visit site
Leaving the green before the group has putted out
Please help me understand why this bothers you.

I actually encourage some golfers to leave the green as soon as they putt out.

I lead an organization of 45 senior golfers. We play on weekdays at a busy municipal course. Pace of play is critical. Some of our golfers walk, and I ask them to start moving to the next tee as soon as possible. Others have physical issues which cause them to walk slowly. I ask these golfers to start back to their carts as soon as they can.

Would you consider these actions - aimed at improving our pace of play - to be rude?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

I lead an organization of 45 senior golfers. We play on weekdays at a busy municipal course. Pace of play is critical. Some of our golfers walk, and I ask them to start moving to the next tee as soon as possible. Others have physical issues which cause them to walk slowly. I ask these golfers to start back to their carts as soon as they can.

Would you consider these actions - aimed at improving our pace of play - to be rude?
If I've putted out first I usually walk towards my bag at least, so I can putt my putter away and I'm ready to move on. No point standing there gawping at someone while they hole out - you can still see them putt from over 10 yards away.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Simple answer is no.
But as long as they think about the players still putting.
No slamming clubs in bags, talking , in the eyeline of pps putting out.
But the main one is if they are marking their card they should watch the player putt out.
Apart from that ready golf is great.

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Yes. If I have stood quietly and patiently and allowed my PPs to putt out without distraction I bloody well expect them to offer me the same courtesy rather than wander about in my peripheral vision or start moving their bag and trolley. By all means move to the most efficient part of the green to exit it, mark cards etc... just do not distract me.

If your society are happy with it that’s fine, I would say something, in the same way I would if someone was disappearing up the fairway before I hit my tee shot.

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
Yes. If I have stood quietly and patiently and allowed my PPs to putt out without distraction I bloody well expect them to offer me the same courtesy rather than wander about in my peripheral vision or start moving their bag and trolley. By all means move to the most efficient part of the green to exit it, mark cards etc... just do not distract me.

If your society are happy with it that’s fine, I would say something, in the same way I would if someone was disappearing up the fairway before I hit my tee shot.

I agree in part.

As long as everyone is still and quiet when i'm about to make my stroke. It's fine. I'd rather people line up and make reads whilst i'm practise swinging, otherwise it's painfully slow.

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I agree in part.

As long as everyone is still and quiet when i'm about to make my stroke. It's fine. I'd rather people line up and make reads whilst i'm practise swinging, otherwise it's painfully slow.
I agree, my etiquette point was leaving the green, which those lacking in self awareness believe makes them invisible and inaudible. Most players behave perfectly well on the green which is why they shouldn’t be leaving it early.?

John Dewey

Visit site
I agree, my etiquette point was leaving the green, which those lacking in self awareness believe makes them invisible and inaudible. Most players behave perfectly well on the green which is why they shouldn’t be leaving it early.?
Sorry, but I just cannot agree that golfers “shouldn’t be leaving it early”. Pace of play is a critical problem on almost all public golf courses in the U.S. The course where we play - and others I’ve played at - will make slow groups skip a hole if they fall behind. Having slower golfers move to the next tee as soon as they can definitely helps our aged golfers maintain pace.

Our golfers are conscious of moving in close proximity to a putting golfer. But once they are 40 feet away from the putter and the hole, I cannot require them to cease movement. That is, as long as they are quiet.

Mandofred

Visit site
Etiquette....the world of made up ways to be offended. On our course there are plenty of people who will get upset if someone talks.....but on several holes we are real close to a gun range, that doesn't bother them.....and alongside a road with cars zipping by.....or the tractor mowing grass.....or squawking peacocks etc etc etc. People are offended because they are looking for ways to be offended. How??? can random and regular gunfire NOT bother you.....but someone whispering does? How can someone walking off the green to head to the next tee bother you.....but the group moving around and talking on another hole only slightly further away NOT bother you? Etiquette.....madness.

Someone is now thinking....that SOB is saying that it is ok to talk!!! No...I'm not.

If a group I am in is having trouble keeping up with the group in front, we regularly tell the people who putt out first to head to the next tee and get ready to save some time.....and keeping up with the group ahead is etiquette. But....no.....don't move......etiquette.

For those people who are sooooo easily distracted (squirrel!!)......golf must be really hard with so much random noise happening (birds, gunfire, talking on other holes, planes flying by, bugs, squirrels!!, any movement from anything anywhere...).

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Sorry, but I just cannot agree that golfers “shouldn’t be leaving it early”. Pace of play is a critical problem on almost all public golf courses in the U.S. The course where we play - and others I’ve played at - will make slow groups skip a hole if they fall behind. Having slower golfers move to the next tee as soon as they can definitely helps our aged golfers maintain pace.

While our golfers are conscious of moving in close proximity to a putting golfer.
We will agree to differ ?, after all the rules etiquette are often cultural. If someone asks you not to do something do you accommodate them if it is not unreasonable of course you do. My statement is based on how I play golf, the people I play with and the courses I play. If I joined your group and you said “I am trying to herd a bunch old boys around a course in an acceptable time or we get moved along”, I would say fine. If you played in my group on a course which typically has no long distances between green and the next tee it would not go down well.
So long as we agree screaming mashed potato is wrong in any environment we will be fine.

John Dewey

Visit site
We will agree to differ ?, after all the rules etiquette are often cultural. If someone asks you not to do something do you accommodate them if it is not unreasonable of course you do. My statement is based on how I play golf, the people I play with and the courses I play. If I joined your group and you said “I am trying to herd a bunch old boys around a course in an acceptable time or we get moved along”, I would say fine. If you played in my group on a course which typically has no long distances between green and the next tee it would not go down well.
So long as we agree screaming mashed potato is wrong in any environment we will be fine.

Thanks for the response.

“Trying to herd along a bunch of old boys around a course” is exactly my biggest challenge.

FYI, we absolutely love our north Texas golf course. But Byron Nelson did design it to maintain the natural geography, and there are long distances (150-200 yards) between many of the greens and following tees.

Mandofred

Visit site
Thanks for the response.

“Trying to herd along a bunch of old boys around a course” is exactly my biggest challenge.

FYI, we absolutely love our north Texas golf course. But Byron Nelson did design it to maintain the natural geography, and there are long distances (150-200 yards) between many of the greens and following tees.
It is kind of strange how different areas design the courses differently. In Wash St I pretty well never saw courses designed with much distance between hole and next tee. Florida....quite often plenty of distance. In certain places I can understand why they like people (at times even require) to use carts....especially in the warmer areas of the country.

John Dewey

Visit site
It is kind of strange how different areas design the courses differently. In Wash St I pretty well never saw courses designed with much distance between hole and next tee. Florida....quite often plenty of distance. In certain places I can understand why they like people (at times even require) to use carts....especially in the warmer areas of the country.[/QUOTE
It is kind of strange how different areas design the courses differently. In Wash St I pretty well never saw courses designed with much distance between hole and next tee. Florida....quite often plenty of distance. In certain places I can understand why they like people (at times even require) to use carts....especially in the warmer areas of the country.
Not sure if this is the reason, but Texas, Florida, and Arizona have many, many new golf courses. (Ours is not one.) It seems to me that designers of newer courses are more conscious now of environmentally sensitive areas. Courses are designed to preserve the existing water bodies and nesting areas. Decades ago I remember seeing golf course constructions where vast acreage was just bulldozed over to meet the playability desires of golf course owners/designers.

Swango1980

Visit site
Players hitting their shot when it is not their turn in Match Play. OK, not really etiquette as it is a Rule of Golf and I can ask them to replay their shot if I wish. However, I'd personally feel uncomfortable doing that for fear of being labelled a busy body, so instead I secretly despise that they did that and put me in that position :(

So, purely etiquette wise, people that make noises just as I'm about to address my ball and play my shot. Whether that be having a conversation, rustling about in their bag or ripping off their glove. I then am partly thinking have they fully stopped, or will they start messing about again as soon as I start my swing.