What are your biggest etiquette irritations?

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Pitch marks not being repaired,
Bunkers not being raked (pre covid) after use but the absolutes beast is not being called through when the group in front have lost pace on the group in front.

It makes the vein twitch and the p155 boil.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
3. People who officiously police other groups / players. Favourite phrases from these people include:

"I can see that chap 500 yards away is talking on his phone!"
"A one ball has no status on the course."
"Shirts should be tucked in at all times."

People who have a problem with a one ball are unfathomable to me, the amount of times I've played behind a four late on an evening and they just avoid catching my eye. I could play 18 holes in pretty much half their time and they wouldn't see me after the first two minutes

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
This is nothing to do with this but, while it's in my head, people who call Wentworth 'the BMW' are as equally unfathomable

Mandofred

Visit site
etiquette

Really....just that. Something somebody made up....because that's the way they wanted things to happen. Every country seems to have different etiquette about just about everything....that to me indicates just how unimportant it is. Yet people are horribly insulted if etiquette isn't followed. What if someone really doesn't care if white socks are worn with shorts? Ban them from the club? Stone them? Really....all about white socks? Think about it....people incredibly upset because of.....grey socks.....oh, the horrors.......

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
etiquette

Really....just that. Something somebody made up....because that's the way they wanted things to happen. Every country seems to have different etiquette about just about everything....that to me indicates just how unimportant it is. Yet people are horribly insulted if etiquette isn't followed. What if someone really doesn't care if white socks are worn with shorts? Ban them from the club? Stone them? Really....all about white socks? Think about it....people incredibly upset because of.....grey socks.....oh, the horrors.......
Yeah I see where you're coming from. I think etiquette should only mean things that may directly affect someone's actual golf - i.e. standing in their eyeline or treading on their line (if they're concerned about that). Showing courtesy in that sense. But not about what they're wearing or where they've changed their shoes - that can be filed under pomposity.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Yeah I see where you're coming from. I think etiquette should only mean things that may directly affect someone's actual golf - i.e. standing in their eyeline or treading on their line (if they're concerned about that). Showing courtesy in that sense. But not about what they're wearing or where they've changed their shoes - that can be filed under pomposity.

ooooooo pomposity! Somebodies been in the dictionary! ;)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Players not shouting fore, some prat nearly took my head off last Friday with his drive that was 40 yards off line. There wasn't much of an apology either.
Let me guess, did he say "I didn't see you there" or words to that effect? I do find that annoying. If you hit onto the wrong hole just shout anyway just in case. You don't lose anything by shouting.

sunshine

Visit site
Let me guess, did he say "I didn't see you there" or words to that effect? I do find that annoying. If you hit onto the wrong hole just shout anyway just in case. You don't lose anything by shouting.

You do lose something: your pride. You are admitting that you are so bad at golf you have hit the ball on to a different hole. Some people can't accept the dent in their ego. It's the same people who bluntly refuse to let anybody play through.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
People that don't recognise the skills and artistry involved in the well executed "lob" of a club, (usually the putter), and accuse you of throwing them in temper. I have very rarely lost my rag on a golf course, but believe me..... if I do, you will definitely recognise the difference. Get a grip, you whingers.

Mandofred

Visit site
You do lose something: your pride. You are admitting that you are so bad at golf you have hit the ball on to a different hole. Some people can't accept the dent in their ego. It's the same people who bluntly refuse to let anybody play through.
17 holes hitting really good tee shots....then on the 18th, friggin push/fade....I'm starting to yell "fore" and then kind of kill it....nobody over there which you can see through the trees. I'd rather yell admitting a crap shot than kill somebody......and....I'm American.....shhhhh

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Unrepaired Pitchmarks.

Between 3 of us a couple of weeks ago we repaired 24 on one green. Just a total lack of respect for the course from selfish so and so's* who probably went home an whinged about the course not being in Masters like condition after having no one play on it for three months.

*It makes me so angry I really feel like incurring an infraction by describing the folks by using a swear word obscured by asterisks but chose not to.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Pitch marks, slow play and not letting people through.

Surprised to see comments on people being infront of someone playing there shot.
That’s how we have adapted with ready golf at ours. You hit your ball and move up to where you hit more or less acting like a single player unless directly infront, then we walk up the side in line of our ball. always infront of the person playing.
Makes for seamless golf.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
People that drop flags onto the green instead placing them down.

People who turn on their heels on the green, especially when walking away from the hole.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
etiquette

I played a couple of courses in NSW in the 1990s. The Ozzies seemed to have no dress code as such. The policing of any really daft clothing was done by relentless mickey-taking by all on the course. They had one strange quirk - you should not lay the flagstick on the ground. You had to hold it and pass it to someone else when it was your turn to putt. Seemed a pretty pointless ritual to me. When the course was rammed with fourballs, on a par three you all would walk off the back of the green before putting to allow the players behind to play their tee shots, then commence putting. Never seen that one done here by convention. Would make sense sometimes.

D

Deleted Member 1156

people who refuse to play their shot because "the group in front are still in range" even though the group are 250 yards in front, and said player is lucky to hit more than 150 with any club in their bag. so you wait for five minutes for the group in front to finish, then the player duffs it about 20 yards.
In the grand scheme of things as long as you are keeping up with the group in front it doesn't actually affect the time it takes to complete your round.

eddie_1878

Visit site
people who refuse to play their shot because "the group in front are still in range" even though the group are 250 yards in front, and said player is lucky to hit more than 150 with any club in their bag. so you wait for five minutes for the group in front to finish, then the player duffs it about 20 yards.

Second shot on a par 5 today, group in front were putting. Had 220 to the front of the green, my 3 hybrid has never gone over 200 and my intention was an easy swing. Sure enough I landed on green and went off the back...luckily the lads in front were making their way off by the time the ball landed there.

I get what you’re saying but my point is you never know!