What are you concentrating on over winter?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Everyone who is oractising chipping/putting and short game. Do you really think it's worth it in the winter months? when the practice greens are rock hard, bumpy, poorly cut etc??

Mostly the practice is about quality of strike and I'm happy to accept that the end result may not be what I want.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm concentrating on winning the Winter Eclectic that our swindle all take part in over Winter. 1/2 handicap's so I'm off 7 and currently -10 after 3 weeks of competition. 1 bogey still to improve on and 4 birdies so plenty of areas for improvement. Just need to make sure I cash in when we get a friendly temporary or forward tee as we move through the winter months.

Having lessons as part of a Winter Performance Package that the coach at my club runs and seen some big improvements after just an hour and a half tuition which is nice, pushing to get down to 10 or less next season.

D

Deleted member 21258

Everyone who is oractising chipping/putting and short game. Do you really think it's worth it in the winter months? when the practice greens are rock hard, bumpy, poorly cut etc??

For me this is the first time I have practised at home putting on the carpet to any great extent, in the hope to sort out my putting stroke and alignment for those less than 6 foot putts, which I keep missing.

Chipping practise is when playing on the course, dropping various balls and taking extra chips flying the ball low and higher with the same club and trying to ensure the backswing isn't too long for the length of flight of chip I am aiming for(not to worried about length of run as this various all year)

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Absolutely, my short game was so poor. Just making sure I have the basics right, quality of strike more important than what happens when it bounces.
I can practice my putting at home, we have a rug 8' x 4' it has squares on it, so ideal for making sure I stand square etc. I use my putting mirror to check stance and a couple of imitation plastic holes given out years ago by golf monthly to roll the ball over. This has really helped me on the shorter putts and groves a stroke for the longer ones.

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Made some time to go to the practice area yesterday. I deliberately went later in the afternoon. That way it got dark and I had to come home :D if not I would just have stayed and kept on pitching and chipping. I bought 9 garden canes, you can just see them on the photo. These were set up at 10 yard intervals from 20 yards onwards. Just working on my technique, trying to get i t more natural and a feel for different distances.

Last edited:

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Made some time to go to the practice area yesterday. I deliberately went later in the afternoon. That way it got dark and I had to come home :D if not I would just have stayed and kept on pitching and chipping. I bought 9 garden canes, you can just see them on the photo. These were set up at 10 yard intervals from 20 yards onwards. Just working on my technique, trying to get i t more natural and a feel for different distances.

Were you aiming at the sticks? It might be the picture playing tricks but those divots look like they're pointing left to me

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Were you aiming at the sticks? It might be the picture playing tricks but those divots look like they're pointing left to me

Those divots weren't mine. Had put the alignment sticks down roughly for the photo, but the ideas was to have the rhs one on the target line and the lhs one open to it.