What are you concentrating on over winter?

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Currently working on putting in the house. Have my arc putting mat set out, a couple of sleeves of balls for a gate for start line. Working mainly on grooving the path, and tempo. Been doing this 4 night so far this week and will continue as the winter goes on.

Full swing wise, i had a lesson at the end of the season and have been working on those changes. Mainly straighter left arm, more hip turn through impact and checking the face isn't closed on the takeaway. I have seen a massive improvement on shots with these changes, need to go back for another lesson. Tried to get one in December but all the dates i could do, my coach couldn't. So will get one in January at some point.

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
lessons every 2 weeks until Spring. Reshaping my swing.

£600 for 10 hour sessions, hope they are worth it :cheers:

D

Deleted member 1740

lessons every 2 weeks until Spring. Reshaping my swing.

£600 for 10 hour sessions, hope they are worth it :cheers:

For me a 30 minute lesson is enough, I think my head would be battered if I had an hour.

Best of luck though mate, keep us updated with progress :thup:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
royal ascot looks in great nick for this time of year.

parklands are so soft and wet in ireland.

couldnt believe you were hitting pitch shots and they were bouncing a couple of times before landing on the green.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
royal ascot looks in great nick for this time of year.

parklands are so soft and wet in ireland.

couldnt believe you were hitting pitch shots and they were bouncing a couple of times before landing on the green.

Same yesterday and the greens were so true and fast for the time of year. Really is in good nick. Plan to do some more pitching challenges from 30 and 50 yards, two distances I do struggle from

94tegsi

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Removing a hip slide on backswing, which in turn should give better depth of hip turn.
Hands a bit more forward on setup to help with a bit of a flippy action.
Bit more vertical wrist cock, with a flatter wrist for better impact.

Bash enough balls over winter to make the above feel natural for when the weather gets better. Been having good range sessions doing this, got to get it on the course.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Went from 13.2 to 14.5 this season, All courtesy of a closed club face causing a lovely duck hook. Absolutely destroyed me. Currently working on a swing change to keep the face square. Going to be a long cold winter on the range.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I am happy if I get out to play 9 or 18 holes each weekend. Short game area and practice green are closed. Driving range is very exposed to the elements and I just can't be bothered, to be honest. At home I sometimes roll out the putting mat.

I go to the gym two to three times a week during winter, working on core strength and mobility mostly. That's not solely about golf, though. I just need at least a little bit of exercise after sitting at a desk all day.

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Better posture and the takeaway. This is just to tidy up some stuff I've been working on all summer to rescue a very poor year. Ideally I'd now work on chipping but winter golf isn't conducive to that so I'll wait for spring on that front. Will use a few rounds over winter to sharpen the mental skills and consolidate the other improvements. That and lots of stretching to keep my shoddy joints moving.

D

Deleted member 21258

Chipping and putting, been terrible since returning to golf.

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Decided that my flexibility, or lack of, is having a major impact on my swing and my consistency. It's something my coach an i have been discussing for some time but never really properly addressed.

I've lifted weights for since my 20's and am probably lifting as much weight, if not more, now I'm approaching 50. Net result is I have a lot of tightness in the shoulders, hips, chest and back. I know if I play the day after a heavy weights session my swing really suffers.

So over the next 4-8 weeks I'm going to be doing a lot of stretching to improve my flexibility and also incorporate more stretching post workouts as well.

There's some TPI golf flexibility tests I've been doing and I'm not going to bother with any lessons until I have a decent range of movement.

D

Deleted member 23270

Getting down to +5 by the spring and winning the British amateur next year.

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Everyone who is oractising chipping/putting and short game. Do you really think it's worth it in the winter months? when the practice greens are rock hard, bumpy, poorly cut etc??

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Only practice I will be doing is a bit of putting on lounge carpet. New carpet is about the same pace as a winter green.;) Aim to play as much as weather permits.