What advantage new wedges over my 4 year old Ping Glides?

Kennysarmy

Visit site
I have had since new 3 Ping Glide wedges, bought some time during 2015.

I game Ping E1 irons with a PW loft of 45 deg.

My Glide Wedges are 50 deg, 56 (bent to 55) and 60.

Shafts are REG AWT 2.0 (I'm pretty sure)

My ideal distances are 90 yards with the 50, 75 with the 55 and 60 with the 60

Last edited:

User20204

Visit site
I've just bought 3 new Vokeys and tbh I'm struggling with them. Different lofts and bounces to what I had but my confidence is shot and I was fitted for them. They say new wedges should in theory spin better but when you're knifing them the way I am just now I wish I could turn back time.

Kennysarmy

Visit site
I've just bought 3 new Vokeys and tbh I'm struggling with them. Different lofts and bounces to what I had but my confidence is shot and I was fitted for them. They say new wedges should in theory spin better but when you're knifing them the way I am just now I wish I could turn back time.

Less bounce than your previous wedges?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
4 year old wedges would not give the same levels of spin as brand new ones unless they are hard cast.

e.g. I have never seen any wear on a set of Ping eye 2s

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Still using my Gorge wedges and aside from dings from stones in bunkers the face and grooves are still in great nick. I hit loads of practice balls working on my short game and haven't seen any decline in stopping power. Of course they aren't as sharp and reactive as brand new wedges but I like that as there feels to me as though there is more reliability knowing it won't zip back miles and playing chips and runs will actually release

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Of course 4 yr old wedges will have worn and spin less than anything new, and yes most Vokeys are cast too. I would suggest it's more a weight/ feel issue over anything else. Keep practising and you will get used to them:)

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
More. I have a steep AoA so the fitter suggested more bounce, which I'm ok with, it's just got in my head a bit.
Are the shafts different?
Is it just feel or can you tell there’s a difference in weight.?
Thinking of new wedges ,play Macdaddy forged but they have stopped making them.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I wanted new ones you can’t tell what your getting second hand.
Might get my old ones refurbished.

It is a gamble but I got my Ping irons with a head description of 7 and they were almost totally unused. Bear in mind they do also operate a 7 days return policy so if the head quality isn't as wanted send them back. Just putting the option out there!!!

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Dont be fooled by much of what is claimed by wedge manufacturers. Spin rates dont change much through wear on the face, actually grooves dont even alter spin rates unless the face is wet or there is grass between the ball and clubface. It works like tyres on a racing car, in dry conditions slick tyres give better grip, in wet conditions the tread wicks away moisture between the tyre and road thus stopping it slipping, its exactly the same with golf clubs.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Still using my Gorge wedges and aside from dings from stones in bunkers the face and grooves are still in great nick. I hit loads of practice balls working on my short game and haven't seen any decline in stopping power. Of course they aren't as sharp and reactive as brand new wedges but I like that as there feels to me as though there is more reliability knowing it won't zip back miles and playing chips and runs will actually release

I wish - don’t think I’ve ever seen a shot of mine do that 🙃

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I wish - don’t think I’ve ever seen a shot of mine do that 🙃
Only time I have had a ball zip back is when it pitches on the very front of the green, and then rolls down a run off. Less zip and more dribble.

I have an old Mizuno mp t10 sandwedge, that does stop a lot quicker than the new sandwedge that came with my Taylormade set. I carry both though, as Taylormade one is great for longer sand shots, and I can use it for full shots around 80yards. I assume old style grooves are still legall for amateurs ?

Not practicing probably helps preserve grooves. ?