PW v GW

Huwey12

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I use a Gap Wedge, in fact it's one I tend to use more than the others. I find it a very versatile club, either for full shots, half shots or pitching.
I'm with you Robster I use my gap wedge all over the course up to about 80 yds, I suppose it's a confidence club

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I've got the Ping Glide Forged 50° GW and really lke it (have the 56° SW bent to 55° and the 60° LW too) and have always had non-set wedges once I joined a club and got serious about golf.
The latest Ping Glide Forged Pro are forgiving as I understand it, with 10° bounce. The Glide 4.0 is 12° bounce which I found wasn't for me when testing the previous model.
I have found that wedges are far different to irons in feel and suitability. I could likely get on with most irons, but some wedges were truly awful in my hands. The Vokeys being the obvious ones. People rave about them, but I just couldn't make them work.
Spin is also very different across wedge brands. I got 11,500rpm off the Cobra wedges and about 8,000rpm off another set. Settled for 9,500rpm in the Pings.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I carry a 50* too. What has happened over the decades is OEMs have jacked up the lofts on irons. Most sets do not have three irons because the four iron's loft is what used to be a three. Back in the 70s a PW was around 50*. Now most are 44* to 46* leaving a gap since most sand wedges are around 56*. Hence the name "Gap" wedge although some companies call them "Approach" wedges.
Ah, wedges and their lofts.
"Serious" golfers nowadays have another subject they can learn about and use that knowledge to impress themselves and others.
It was much simpler when (1960s/70s) a PW was 50* to 52* and a SW was 56* to 58*. You chose your full set of irons accordingly and these 2 wedges were included.

If we go back a lot further, the first numbered sets were usually 2-8 and if a putter was made as part of the set it was 9.
Names for each club (cleek, mid-iron, mashie etc) had been abandoned.
But now we are at the state of affairs with names for irons catching up and overtaking the numbered ones in the bag.

I am unconvinced that this general progression to stronger lofts for equivalent numbered irons has been customer driven or represents any real benefit to the average amateur golfer.
I've played several times this year with a chap who has a PW then 48, 52, 56 and 60 wedges, irons 5-9, driver, 3-wood, hybrid and putter. The new normal, as I understand.
He simply has a set of 3-SW and a 60* extra wedge.
Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose.

Last edited:

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Ah, wedges and their lofts.
"Serious" golfers nowadays have another subject they can learn about and use that knowledge to impress themselves and others.
It was much simpler when (1960s/70s) a PW was 50* to 52* and a SW was 56* to 58*. You chose your full set of irons accordingly and these 2 wedges were included.

If we go back a lot further, the first numbered sets were usually 2-8 and if a putter was made as part of the set it was 9.
Names for each club (cleek, mid-iron, mashie etc) had been abandoned.
But now we are at the state of affairs with names for irons catching up and overtaking the numbered ones are in the bag.

I am unconvinced that this general progression to stronger lofts for equivalent numbered irons has been customer driven or represents any real benefit to the average amateur golfer.
I've played several times this year with a chap who has a PW then 48, 52, 56 and 60 wedges, irons 5-9, driver, 3-wood, hybrid and putter. The new normal, as I understand.
He simply has a set of 3-SW and a 60* extra wedge.
Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose.

As said before. The number stamped on the bottom is irrelevant. The loft is what matters. You can have 14 clubs so all that matters is you have manageable gaps and the wedges you have suit your requirements.

I play Ping i500 irons 4 to U. They might as well be called 4 to 11 iron as they are used for full shots.
My 54 (high bounce) and 58 (low bounce) are what I consider to be my wedges which are used for partial shots, chipping and bunker shots.

It doesn’t have to be complicated.