PW v GW

dronfield

Visit site
My current iron set has a 45 deg PW - I also carry a 55 deg blade SW that I only feel confident using in bunkers. A lot of people on forums suggest that due to modern strong lofts, a 50 deg Gap Wedge is invaluable.
My home course is quite long off white tees and there are several par 4/5 that I can't reach in regulation, meaning that my 3rd/4th shot is often in the 30-70 yard range.
Genuine question - as these length shots are not full swing, and i will need to grip down/half swing with either a PW or GW, what advantage would using a GW bring for these shots?
I am not often faced with what would be a GW full shot 100yds, so unclear as to whether buying a GW is sensible.
When do other FMs use their GW ahead of PW?
Rich

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
The gap is big, I would definitely get a 50 GW.
Then hold your PW at the bottom of the grip, swing half way back and half way through. Hit 10 balls and get a yardage.
Then do the same with your GW and SW.
That will give you a guide

dronfield

Visit site
The gap is big, I would definitely get a 50 GW.
Then hold your PW at the bottom of the grip, swing half way back and half way through. Hit 10 balls and get a yardage.
Then do the same with your GW and SW.
That will give you a guide

Thanks Bob for your advice here - i have seen several people advocating a 3 wedge "clockface" approach, but was wondering if i could get by using just the PW. I'll look at getting a GW that matches my existing Ping set.
Re using the SW from the fairway, my current one is a non set blade model which i guess is not as forgiving as the Ping set model. If i sourced the Ping set cavity back 54 degree SW, would that be more useable from the fairway - any downside to using that in bunkers against my current blade SW?
Rich

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Thanks Bob for your advice here - i have seen several people advocating a 3 wedge "clockface" approach, but was wondering if i could get by using just the PW. I'll look at getting a GW that matches my existing Ping set.
Re using the SW from the fairway, my current one is a non set blade model which i guess is not as forgiving as the Ping set model. If i sourced the Ping set cavity back 54 degree SW, would that be more useable from the fairway - any downside to using that in bunkers against my current blade SW?
Rich

That depends on what your bunkers are like, hard/fluffy.
If they are hard, I would stay clear of any wedge with a lot of bounce.
Your best bet is have a chat with your local pro.

Jason.H

Visit site
Personally I like having the gap wedge. Not a fan of matching up with the set rather match the blade 55 you have already. Forgiveness not so much required in the wedges depending on player ability of course.

dronfield

Visit site
That depends on what your bunkers are like, hard/fluffy.
If they are hard, I would stay clear of any wedge with a lot of bounce.
Your best bet is have a chat with your local pro.
Thanks Bob - our bunkers are generally harder sand, and the Ping G series SW is 54 deg with 13 deg bounce so may not be right choice here.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I prefer a 52 as it is more versatile club than a 50. I often use mine out of hard pan sand so it will cut in to the sand and give loft and will generally produce loft for greenside shots. Easy to close the face down for chip and runs.

I never ever seen a need to match wedges to the other irons in a set or to match each wedge.

dronfield

Visit site
I prefer a 52 as it is more versatile club than a 50. I often use mine out of hard pan sand so it will cut in to the sand and give loft and will generally produce loft for greenside shots. Easy to close the face down for chip and runs.

I never ever seen a need to match wedges to the other irons in a set or to match each wedge.
Jim what bounce is on your 52 degree - looking at the Ping G series 50 degree U wedge the bounce is 12 degree which seems a bit high?
Rich

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Jim what bounce is on your 52 degree - looking at the Ping G series 50 degree U wedge the bounce is 12 degree which seems a bit high?
Rich
I have several 52 wedges the ones I use the most are 5 degree and 8 degree

The Vokeys I have are standard 52/08.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Love my gap/utility wedge for shots of around 100yds. steady PW does 115; 54 sand does about 85yds and 58 lob does 70yds.

Pre these wedges I'd have manipulated my swing to hit a PW 100yds, but I MUST get rid of swing manipulation, and so GW is perfect.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My current iron set has a 45 deg PW - I also carry a 55 deg blade SW that I only feel confident using in bunkers. A lot of people on forums suggest that due to modern strong lofts, a 50 deg Gap Wedge is invaluable.
My home course is quite long off white tees and there are several par 4/5 that I can't reach in regulation, meaning that my 3rd/4th shot is often in the 30-70 yard range.
Genuine question - as these length shots are not full swing, and i will need to grip down/half swing with either a PW or GW, what advantage would using a GW bring for these shots?
I am not often faced with what would be a GW full shot 100yds, so unclear as to whether buying a GW is sensible.
When do other FMs use their GW ahead of PW?
Rich
I have a Mac daddy 52 in my shed. It’s been bent to 50*
In pretty good condition.
You can have it free if you cover the postage.
You can then try out a forged wedge before you make up your mind.
Let me know.

D

Deleted member 3432

Love my gap/utility wedge for shots of around 100yds. steady PW does 115; 54 sand does about 85yds and 58 lob does 70yds.

Pre these wedges I'd have manipulated my swing to hit a PW 100yds, but I MUST get rid of swing manipulation, and so GW is perfect.

What do you do closer than 70 yards or in between yardages if you don't manipulate something?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I use a gap wedge if I need to get over a bunker at 50/80 yards but on an open green I prefer to make an easy 9 iron shot, it's so reliable

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
What do you do closer than 70 yards or in between yardages if you don't manipulate something?
If I have to clear something I just swing a bit less or open up the clubface. My 'manipulation' is (or was) all about trying to vary things through hand speed and arms and I try and keep that out of my thinking. For shorter shots with no obstacle to clear I'll often go 'linksie'.

Hoganman1

Visit site
I carry a 50* too. What has happened over the decades is OEMs have jacked up the lofts on irons. Most sets do not have three irons because the four iron's loft is what used to be a three. Back in the 70s a PW was around 50*. Now most are 44* to 46* leaving a gap since most sand wedges are around 56*. Hence the name "Gap" wedge although some companies call them "Approach" wedges.