What’s the point of competing?

WIL.I.AM

Visit site
So now ive been playing golf for around a year and a half my handicap started out at about 38, ive won plenty of comps since then but its been increasingly harder now as im playing off 18.
Ive not yet shot under 90 but if my calculations are correct I’d have to shoot mid 80’s to score in the low 40’s in stableford to get anywhere near the top on our comps in our club.
So what is the point really to have a lower handicap and even entering comps?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So now ive been playing golf for around a year and a half my handicap started out at about 38, ive won plenty of comps since then but its been increasingly harder now as im playing off 18.
Ive not yet shot under 90 but if my calculations are correct I’d have to shoot mid 80’s to score in the low 40’s in stableford to get anywhere near the top on our comps in our club.
It’s personal satisfaction and trying to get better.

If it’s winning your after you’re going to be very disappointed.
Most comps in golf you don’t win.
But when you do it’s great.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
In a competition field only one can win. So if there are 100 in the field you have a 1 in a 100 chance of winning. But the winner is the one who on the day plays best against his handicap. That is the challenge. Get better, win, reduce your handicap and repeat.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Like Clubchamp said above, it’s about personal pride and trying your hardest to get the best score that you can each time you play. Some days it feels easy, yet the next day your score would suggest you have never played golf before. Golf is hard. If you think you will win every time you tee it up it ain’t going to happen. The better you become the harder it is to score lower. Wait until you get to very low single figures, as winning handicap comps that include all handicap ranges is almost impossible. A nett 63 won the competition at our club last Saturday. For me to win I’d have had to shoot a gross 65 (par 70) and it is never going to happen.

It’s not always about the winning. just get out there and enjoy your golf with your mates.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Wait until you get to very low single figures, as winning handicap comps that include all handicap ranges is almost impossible. A nett 63 won the competition at our club last Saturday. For me to win I’d have had to shoot a gross 65 (par 70) and it is never going to happen.
Noooooooo.
The experts will tell you that's wrong and they can prove with statistics that everyone has an equal chance of winning.
Utter nonsense of course.
Unless you're talking about winning your division.

The sad thing is, previously it was the low guys who felt they had no chance of wining a comp and therefor stopped entering them.
Now it's an 18 handicapper who's saying the same thing.
Something is wrong somewhere.

If you want to win lots of competitions, get loads of money and give up your job then you are in the wrong sport.
Wow, didn't read that in the OP

NearHull

Visit site
That says it all.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Noooooooo.
The experts will tell you that's wrong and they can prove with statistics that everyone has an equal chance of winning.
Utter nonsense of course.
Unless you're talking about winning your division.

The sad thing is, previously it was the low guys who felt they had no chance of wining a comp and therefor stopped entering them.
Now it's an 18 handicapper who's saying the same thing.
Something is wrong somewhere.

Wow, didn't read that in the OP
Was just trying to point out that winning competitions isn’t the only reason to play golf.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
The fact is that when young, fit people start playing their high handicaps are likely to come down faster than the system can adjust them. In the old days we had a rule that anyone playing in a board competition had to play off a maximum of 20. This was sensible, in my view. Nothing wrong with having minor, divisional competitions with no restriction, but not major ones.

The attraction of golf, for me, is the fact that a person's performance can be measured, something it is not as easy to do in, say, tennis, football etc. It's just you against the course, and the elements. Ideal for a non team player like me.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
18 handicap is fine. One day you'll surprise yourself, your game will come together and you'll shoot an 84. If you ever get to low single figures then you're really stuffed.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
18 handicap is fine. One day you'll surprise yourself, your game will come together and you'll shoot an 84. If you ever get to low single figures then you're really stuffed.
Our weekend medal
Winner Div 1 - Net 66, 71, 72 .... Caps +1, 9, 4
Winner Div 2 - Net 69, 70, 72 .... Caps 15, 16, 16
Winner Div 3 - Net 65, 72, 72 .... Caps 19, 24, 18

1/3 of players in each division

Pretty consistent

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I’m playing in our Thursday rollup this morning…51 entered, forward tees and majority (36) HIs >13. I’d normally be thinking that I’ve got no chance of getting in the frame as I know one or two of the many higher guys will score 40+, and off our forward tees I’m off 5 (hard for me even when playing well…which I’m not).

But the course is playing tough..and recent stableford comps have seen much lower scoring. I don’t have great expectations but I’ll do my best…to at least post a decent score for my WHS record. And you never know…well I kinda do (40pts needs a one over gross…and I’ve never done that 🙄)

No matter…it’s a beautiful morning to be alive, kicking and playing golf in sunny Surrey 😘

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Our weekend medal
Winner Div 1 - Net 66, 71, 72 .... Caps +1, 9, 4
Winner Div 2 - Net 69, 70, 72 .... Caps 15, 16, 16
Winner Div 3 - Net 65, 72, 72 .... Caps 19, 24, 18

1/3 of players in each division

Pretty consistent
So if the guy off +1 wanted to win the overall comp, he would need to shoot gross 63?

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It's pretty straightforward, you put in plenty of general play cards to ensure your handicap goes up for your competitive rounds.
If you can't win in a competitive round ensure you return a high score.