Non raked bunkers, how can clubs police/address the issue?

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Other than the obvious outcome of avoiding our sandy destinations, what options do clubs have regarding bunkers that have not been raked? Can a club implement any form of local rule if landing in a non raked area?

Our club is made up of 60% members 40% p&p and as such sees a lot of casual golfers especially in the afternoons. The problem is with 27 holes I’d estimate we have around 90 - 100 bunkers across the three loops so the man power to rake every morning is not an option.

The members are under no illusion that some offenders will be within the membership but if not playing in comps or the swindles are not pulled up as we saw a huge spike in newbies who joined and maintain playing in their cluster in which they joined.

Any suggestions welcome.

Last edited:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
How about putting temporary signs by any bunker that seems to be worst affected. A pain, unsightly, but perhaps necessary for a while until things improve. Psychologically that sort of thing can be quite effective.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Sure the players need to take the blame throughout the day, but why does the club have a 27 hole golf property and doesn't have the staff to maintain it for routine daily tasks?

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Other than the obvious outcome of avoiding our sandy destinations, what options do clubs have regarding bunkers that have not been raked? Can a club implement any form of local rule if landing in a non raked area?

Our club is made up of 60% members 40% p&p and as such sees a lot of casual golfers especially in the afternoons. The problem is with 27 holes I’d estimate we have around 90 - 100 bunkers across the three loops so the man power to rake every morning is not an option.

The members are under no illusion that some offenders will be within the membership but if not playing in comps or the swindles are not pulled up as we saw a huge spike in newbies who joined and maintain playing in their cluster in which they joined.

Any suggestions welcome.
Fill in some of the bunkers until they have enough staff to cope every morning. Doesn't help in the afternoon of course though.
A letter to every member.
Pro shop to remind visitors when they arrive to pay.
Gun turrets and dogs in place to deal with offenders.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I once spoke to a group in front and kindly asked them to be mindful of what it’s like to land in a bad bunker lie and to start raking bunkers. They apologised and agreed but then left the very next bunker unraked. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Our Course must have the least bunkers on a course in the country which includes fairway and greenside. The practice bunker is a thing of beauty. The course bunkers are rammel. One of the bunkers last week had thousands of animal footprints in it. It is hard to police. That said, the footprint bunker was better than the one that had a 20 foot phalanx in it what the kids had a marked out a couple of years ago. 😳👍

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Obligatory caddies.
Nothing like having a lad along hoping for tuppence at the end of the round as long as he puts in the effort to restore any visited bunkers.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Sure the players need to take the blame throughout the day, but why does the club have a 27 hole golf property and doesn't have the staff to maintain it for routine daily tasks?

It has a great staff team that prioritises other duties. We have possibly the best greens and approaches/fringes in the area, there is only so much a team can do without passing more costs on to the members. Also with three loops how many additional staff would be needed, two at least.

Have others have said it’s all well and good them raking pre round but once play commences the situation returns.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
It has a great staff team that prioritises other duties. We have possibly the best greens and approaches/fringes in the area, there is only so much a team can do without passing more costs on to the members. Also with three loops how many additional staff would be needed, two at least.

Have others have said it’s all well and good them raking pre round but once play commences the situation returns.

Wasn't meaning to criticise, really an observation
Although if two more GKs are needed for daily tasks and the issue is bad enough then yes subs and green fees might have to go up to fund them so that bunkers start the day in the expected/desired condition

A similar bunker issue frustrates me from time to time at my home club too and there's 30 GKs there

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
One simple solution is to have bunkers like at my course which are so hard packed they don't need raking.
They typically have about 2mm of sand on top of what feels like concrete.