Does your club allow non medal play from the whites?

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Blues are our medal tee's & we are not allowed play off them only in comp , we use whites for alot of our other comps & we can use them anytime .. our club matches are off the whites .. i ALSO HATE THAT MEMBERS ONLY CRAIC , we played society outing in a club a couple of years ago, 3 members of the society were club members here , they went & sat in the members bar after the round , muppets .. society is a bit of craic , no need for that cra*... good post mate .. could moan for hours on this subject ,,

jammydodger

Tour Winner
Visit site
The club i've just moved from was whites or yellows , it was up to you. Mostly it was people playing off the yellows though as they were seniors and liked the shorter course , or visitors who were required to use them (no idea why).

I also get arsey when told to play off yellows at other courses ,i've paid good money and can play the game pretty well so I want to savour the full course not a pitch and putt. Most times I just tee off the 1st on the yellows and then move on to the whites for the rest of the round :eek:

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Whites are only for the use of members in competitions or matches at our course. If there is neither on then the white markers are not even put out. They tend to be on the same tee boxes but alot further back. I have never understood this either. I am trying hard to get my handicap down but it does not help that I am playing a different course on a Sunday to a Saturday. If it was not so competitive in my Saturday 4 ball I would play shorter clubs off the tee to simulate the position I would be in during a medal round but nobody wants to lose that £3 and be the butt of the banter for the week.

Also disagree with the decision that visitors cannot use the white tees. I also do not agree that everyone should be able to use them. I think it should be assessed based on the experience of the group in question.

When I've questioned other clubs or committee's in the past I've been told its to "Save the Tees" :D
what a lot of these beaurocratic golf committees dont seem to comprehend is that if you spread the usage and wear and tear over 2 tees you will have less traffic on the yellows which usually are disgraceful for the paying members, plus in reality you'll find its only lower handicaps or visitors or the curious who'll play the 'medal' tees regularly.

Maybe a compromise to committees is that only handicaps of 9 and below (includes visitors) can play the medal tees anytime

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Maybe a compromise to committees is that only handicaps of 9 and below (includes visitors) can play the medal tees anytime
wouldnt give that the low handicappers an advantage then on medal day, as 10 & up could not practice off these tees .. on some courses there is very little difference & this wouldnt realy matter , but on the ones with considerable distances it would be unfair surely ???

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
There's about 300 yards difference at ours and I play off the whites every chance I get these days. It certainly helps me when I have a card in my hand knowing that I'm playing on the same course I play in practice and, more importantly, it's a course I know I can play.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I played at ours on the wedding day. There was myself (10), my regular partner (15) and 2 guests off scratch and 3.

We were not allowed to play the whites because "it would slow play down too much" :D

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think I have played of the yellows no more than 20 times in the 5 years I've been a member and most of those have been social scramble events. I want to test my game each time I play and to do that I want to play the full length course

jammydodger

Tour Winner
Visit site
A story my club captain told me once. Back years ago when he was a junior off 3 he was at some posh Surrey course. His dad was off 2 and his brother was off 1 , they also were playing one day with some assistant pro from another course. Now the course secretary (who was a bit pompous) came out and reprimanded my mate because they were playing off the white tees. His words were " Erm Keith you do realise we only like single figure golfers to play off the white tees" , The answer was " If you add up all 4 of our handicaps we're still off sinlge figures , is that good enough for you ?" Made us laugh :D

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
In the winter we only have yellow tees, but the rest of the time we play off whites. Only time i have played off the yellows, when whites were out, was in the final of the winter foursomes in May, and we had to play off the same tees that all the other matches had been played from.

FourPutt

Head Pro
Visit site
I think I have played of the yellows no more than 20 times in the 5 years I've been a member and most of those have been social scramble events. I want to test my game each time I play and to do that I want to play the full length course

I agree, and I mainly play the white tees on our course. I do like to occasionally play the yellows though, as I find it gives me different clubs into greens etc and sometimes brings different hazards into play. It's quite good for practicing shorter irons that way. There's a lot of holes at our place that I'm hitting 4/5/6 iron into greens where off the yellows I get to dust off the 7/8/9 irons occasionally! :D