WGHS : BUGS AND DESIGN ISSUES

Mozza14

Visit site
Finally got access to the system and have spotted a few things which are either wrong or design issues.

1. I think it is misleading that the current Handicap Index is not shown in the table of scores and differentials. In my case my HI of 6.0 is highlighted at the top of the screen but the latest score entry shows 5.4 which was the Index on which that round was played rather than the result of that round.

2. The graphs tracking performance are similar. You cannot see the final Handicap Index.

3. On my record, the graph for last 50 scores is incorrect. The Handicap Index is displaced by the last 3 scores. On my wife's record the same issue is present on the last 100 graph.

4. I am surprised that the system does not have a sort facility or summary of the best eight differentials with the total or average calculated. I think that would have helped golfers to understand their HI calculation.

Any comments?

Feel free to add your own issues as you spot them.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I spotted 1. myself and made comment but I think we need to wait until November 2nd to see if that is resolved anyway. I know there are scores in the system other than those shown in the list of scores.

The graph is immediately above the list so quick and easy to check through actual HI over a period using the list.
In the list of scores the 8 used are highlighted by a green dot and a line on the list shows where the last 20 starts
On the graph counting scores yellow dot and actual HI is the green line with green dots

Personally I only checked the last 20 and they are all accurate as modified by desloping and CSS adjustment ( I am only really interested in the last 20 )

Mozza14

Visit site
I spotted 1. myself and made comment but I think we need to wait until November 2nd to see if that is resolved anyway. I know there are scores in the system other than those shown in the list of scores.

The graph is immediately above the list so quick and easy to check through actual HI over a period using the list.
In the list of scores the 8 used are highlighted by a green dot and a line on the list shows where the last 20 starts
On the graph counting scores yellow dot and actual HI is the green line with green dots

Personally I only checked the last 20 and they are all accurate as modified by desloping and CSS adjustment ( I am only really interested in the last 20 )

The addition of the October scores or any other missing scores isn't the issue I am raising. The data table does not show the latest HI which is the most important figure. Equally the final HI is not shown on the graphs which seems bizarre to me.

I know the best eight are highlighted. I was suggesting a fairly simple improvement to be able to group them together as a sort facility. I have done this on a simple spreadsheet so I am sure proper boffins could do this in an IT system.

Whether you only check the last twenty on the graphs doesn't mean errors on the other are acceptable.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
The addition of the October scores or any other missing scores isn't the issue I am raising. The data table does not show the latest HI which is the most important figure. Equally the final HI is not shown on the graphs which seems bizarre to me.
To the best of my knowledge Dotgolf has always done it that way, certainly was when we moved to NZ in 2007,soon got used to it. The template is pretty much as it was then.

I know the best eight are highlighted. I was suggesting a fairly simple improvement to be able to group them together as a sort facility. I have done this on a simple spreadsheet so I am sure proper boffins could do this in an IT system.

Whether you only check the last twenty on the graphs doesn't mean errors on the other are acceptable.

Appreciate the hole scores will probably migrate on Nov2 but in the round breakdown the hole is shown in yards but the total is shown in Metres

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
These things aren't really bugs, but aspects of how they choose to present the data which are open to question. I'd personally like to see the gross differential shown in the list of scores - it would be more useful than a simple gross score.

One actual bug I've seen is when an individual's data is uploaded from IG, the date of birth ends up one day out. Doesn't happen with a bulk upload. Whether the bug is at the IG end or at England Golf's end I couldn't say.

Mozza14

Visit site
These things aren't really bugs, but aspects of how they choose to present the data which are open to question. I'd personally like to see the gross differential shown in the list of scores - it would be more useful than a simple gross score.

One actual bug I've seen is when an individual's data is uploaded from IG, the date of birth ends up one day out. Doesn't happen with a bulk upload. Whether the bug is at the IG end or at England Golf's end I couldn't say.

The graphs being misplaced are bugs and the other things are design issues hence the thread title. However, not showing the final Handicap Index in the data table or as the last data point on the graphs seems pretty remiss to me.

I agree with you about gross differential. I had built that in as well on my spreadsheets.

Mozza14

Visit site
Appreciate the hole scores will probably migrate on Nov2 but in the round breakdown the hole is shown in yards but the total is shown in Metres

Apologies but who are Dotgolf and where do they fit into the England Golf Portal? I am not seeing any hole by hole scores on the portal.

Are you talking about links to App providers? Our Club uses HDID and Club V1 but we haven't got anything from them re the new WGHS as yet.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Apologies but who are Dotgolf and where do they fit into the England Golf Portal? I am not seeing any hole by hole scores on the portal.

Are you talking about links to App providers? Our Club uses HDID and Club V1 but we haven't got anything from them re the new WGHS as yet.

Dotgolf are the company administrating the WHS for England Golf.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site

Dotgolf NZ based company who are administrating as Jim has said. If you click on any score in my score there is a drop down breakdown of the round, same as on HDID
We are also Club V1 and HDID and ClubV1 have said they won't be uploading anymore scores etc until Nov 1/2nd .
Sure I read somewhere there will be an app for WHS

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
In my experience over the last few years as HC Sec is that the vast majority of golfers won’t be looking at the system for anymore than their handicap index. From my point of view, as long as the bugs and data are sorted by 2 Nov I’m happy, how individuals want their data displayed is something they as individuals are free to contact EG.

Mozza14

Visit site
In my experience over the last few years as HC Sec is that the vast majority of golfers won’t be looking at the system for anymore than their handicap index. From my point of view, as long as the bugs and data are sorted by 2 Nov I’m happy, how individuals want their data displayed is something they as individuals are free to contact EG.

I disagree. After each round many of my partners can't wait to know or estimate what their handicap will be. Under the new system this will be more complex but nevertheless of great interest and they will be looking at the data to predict what will happen. Others will take your interpretation and leave it to the system.

The thread like most here are discussion points and Club Secs, Handicap Secs may take forward valid points to improve and develop systems and procedures through their networks. I will certainly forward my comments directly to England Golf when we see the final system. In the meantime, even though you seem to have little interest in the points raised, maybe others will.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Are we talking about the same thing here?

The England Golf application for players is called My England Golf.

The England Golf Platform being used by administrators is the DotGolf application which should be invisible to members.

I presume it's the former Mozza is referring to.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I disagree. After each round many of my partners can't wait to know or estimate what their handicap will be.
I would suggest that those who take this very close interest in potential HI changes will be well aware of where in the last 20 their counting 8 stand. Only those that are on the verge of 'losing' the best or worst of the 8 and have returned a brilliant or desperate score are likely to be affected. And they will know when they fall into that bracket.

Last edited:

Mozza14

Visit site
Are we talking about the same thing here?

The England Golf application for players is called My England Golf.

The England Golf Platform being used by administrators is the DotGolf application which should be invisible to members.

I presume it's the former Mozza is referring to.

Yes I am simply talking about the player's portal.

I really thought that this could be a constructive thread highlighting where simple errors have been spotted or with a few tweaks, the data might be better displayed and therefore more informative.

The comments back so far have not debated the merits of each of these small issues raised but largely tried to dismiss or ignore them as not being within the scope or interest to the ordinary Club Golfer.

Mozza14

Visit site
I would suggest that those who take this very close interest in potential HI changes will be well aware of where in the last 20 their counting 8 stand. Only those that are on the verge of 'losing' the best or worst of the 8 and have returned a brilliant or desperate score are likely to be affected. And they will know when they fall into that bracket.

So why not make it easier with a simple sort facility to group and see your best eight differentials and the remainder in ascending order? Sorting isn't difficult. For example , albeit totally different, a simple table of handicaps is displayed alphabetically or by Handicap Order or Category or other combinations. It is just providing a flexible and useful IT tool.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
So why not make it easier with a simple sort facility to group and see your best eight differentials and the remainder in ascending order? Sorting isn't difficult. For example , albeit totally different, a simple table of handicaps is displayed alphabetically or by Handicap Order or Category or other combinations. It is just providing a flexible and useful IT tool.

Nobody is dismissing your observation but the integrated software used by your ISV (like HDID) maybe the area that will give you the information or an easier option to get any changes as most golfers will be looking there for the information I suspect and once registered won’t even go to the EG portal.

Mozza14

Visit site
Nobody is dismissing your observation but the integrated software used by your ISV (like HDID) maybe the area that will give you the information or an easier option to get any changes as most golfers will be looking there for the information I suspect and once registered won’t even go to the EG portal.

Yes I think that may be a good place to do it. Or alternatively provide an excel download facility of the data so that it can be done offline.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Yes I am simply talking about the player's portal.

I really thought that this could be a constructive thread highlighting where simple errors have been spotted or with a few tweaks, the data might be better displayed and therefore more informative.

The comments back so far have not debated the merits of each of these small issues raised but largely tried to dismiss or ignore them as not being within the scope or interest to the ordinary Club Golfer.

Do you think the ordinary Club Golfer saw any need for, or had any interest in, a WHS? The number that will benefit from it, looking at its stated aims, appear to me to be minimal.

All most club golfers of my acquaintance wanted to do was to look up their handicap and play golf, not undertake an exercise in applied mathematics.

Mozza14

Visit site
Do you think the ordinary Club Golfer saw any need for, or had any interest in, a WHS? The number that will benefit from it, looking at its stated aims, appear to me to be minimal.

All most club golfers of my acquaintance wanted to do was to look up their handicap and play golf, not undertake an exercise in applied mathematics.

Your point is much wider about the need or otherwise to have changed to this system. I was with you on that, but the fact is that it has changed so why not make it as understandable as possible.

Therefore make whatever system is produced as simple as possible in terms of how the information is presented and that it is correct. I am not seeking to make it more difficult but have highlighted a few fundamentals.

The table and graphs of the last twenty scores and Handicap Indexes do not include the final and current value. Why is that? Their absence is confusing and very strange imho. That the graphs are not currently correct makes it even more confusing.