WGC Mexico

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Whydowedoit

Hacker
Visit site
Well I certainly don't agree with what went on there. In my opinion Johnson should be penalised one shot. That would be fair & maintain some integrity. Anything other & it pretty much brings the game into disrepute. Disappointed with the Sky commentators there. Cheating for me. Would you agree to that in a competition? Ridiculous & makes a mockery of the game.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
What club did johnson use?

It would be perfectly reasonable to use something less lofted than a wedge like a 6 or 5 iron. Ball middle so not back in stance. Zero shaft lean and just clip it out and ruńning back into play.

No need to get steep and crouched in over the ball.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
What club did johnson use?

It would be perfectly reasonable to use something less lofted than a wedge like a 6 or 5 iron. Ball middle so not back in stance. Zero shaft lean and just clip it out and ruńning back into play.

No need to get steep and crouched in over the ball.

apart from thats how hes pitched out from the trees when hes been in them previously this week

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Think McIlroy wont bridge the gap now. I don't blame him for taking risks now so I expect a few more mistakes, but that was a great save at the 8th. I think he gave DJ too much of a buffer with those missed putts last night

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
DJ for me manufactured it by taking a false stance for the shot he intended - only just seen the full thing and he claimed his stance for a chip out was as wide as his driver stance with the ball on his front foot just so his back foot touches the path ? He didn’t take that stance yesterday when he chipped out

Doesn’t really matter what you or anyone else thinks, DJ used the rules just like any other player has the right to do and on this occasion the rules helped him. Both decisions were correct.

oltimer

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Well I certainly don't agree with what went on there. In my opinion Johnson should be penalised one shot. That would be fair & maintain some integrity. Anything other & it pretty much brings the game into disrepute. Disappointed with the Sky commentators there. Cheating for me. Would you agree to that in a competition? Ridiculous & makes a mockery of the game.

Johnson took a "normal" stance for the way wanted to play the shot and entitled to relief, you can`t tell a player where he has to have the ball in his stance, clearly both decisions were correct as McIlroy would have hit the tree had he took the stance that put his foot on the path.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Johnson took a "normal" stance for the way wanted to play the shot and entitled to relief, you can`t tell a player where he has to have the ball in his stance, clearly both decisions were correct as McIlroy would have hit the tree had he took the stance that put his foot on the path.

Spot on

Easy for people to say oh you should do this.. but why should you? He feels he would play the shot that way.. free relief is irrelevant..

Everyone just like to make mountains out of molehills

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Spot on

Easy for people to say oh you should do this.. but why should you? He feels he would play the shot that way.. free relief is irrelevant..

I think the question isn't how he feels he would play the shot, but whether believe he would.

It's another ambiguous integrity ruling.
Imo if he had been told no, he would have had a narrower stance. Much like Rory demonstrated a wider stance for his intended shot, compared to the left handed one he eventually took.

D

Deleted member 15344

Spot on

Ironic From the person who throws his teddy out of the cot when someone gets penalised for a rule break you don’t agree with

D

Deleted member 1147

I agree with Radar, you should only get a drop when the ball is on the path

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I agree with Radar, you should only get a drop when the ball is on the path

Nope that’s crap 💩 how many players hit the ball from the path ? I have seen them do it loads of times, the rule is fine as it is so no need for change.