WGC Mexico

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Rory trying his best but suddenly the ref not having it. Can the referee dictate to Rory where and how he plays it. I don't think Rory is asking for anything DJ wasn't given
He can express a view on what's reasonable.
As such there's opinion involved, and the ref should permit the player to have a second one if he wishes...which he did.
Rory also correct not to ask for one - would have been the same from what I saw
Correct all round.

D

Deleted member 1147

Rory trying his best but suddenly the ref not having it. Can the referee dictate to Rory where and how he plays it. I don't think Rory is asking for anything DJ wasn't given
The ref was correct- he’d have hit the tree on his back swing

D

Deleted member 15344

Well think that’s Rory’s race run - really poor show all round for me in regards the integrity there - but that’s Johnson for you

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
Rory was clearly trying it on, and I don’t blame his after the drop DJ got, why didn’t the official in the DJ ruling not question the shot, like the official did to Rory? If DJ was chipping out he could have narrowed his stance and just bumped it back into play?

Maybe one for the next rules update, instead of worrying about knee high drops and leaving the pin in.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
He can express a view on what's reasonable.
As such there's opinion involved, and the ref should permit the player to have a second one if he wishes...which he did.
Rory also correct not to ask for one - would have been the same from what I saw
Correct all round.
I get that but surely at the end of the day McIlroy could have taken on the shot any way he sees reasonably fit to do so. I didn't think his original shot intention was overly unreasonable. Fair play to McIlroy for not wasting anymore time and a shame he's then gone into the lake. I'm actually trying to play devils advocate to a degree. To that end, surely the decision on how a shot is played still rests with the player and so had McIlroy insisted he wanted to risk hitting the trunk on the backswing is still his prerogative

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
DJ definitely trying it on with his stance. Rory tried it but not tall enough to carry it off. Can’t believe Rory went for it after. Should have laid up, chipped close and taken a par. Think that’s done him

D

Deleted member 15344

I know this will be an unpopular opinion on here but I think DJ was well within his rights for the drop there and every player wouldve got the same.

On the flip side, Rory was the one pushing a boundary with his claim. Not that I blame him.

DJ for me manufactured it by taking a false stance for the shot he intended - only just seen the full thing and he claimed his stance for a chip out was as wide as his driver stance with the ball on his front foot just so his back foot touches the path ? He didn’t take that stance yesterday when he chipped out

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Rory’s was worse and was rightly not given a drop, as he would have hit the tree if he’d actually played it the way he said he “had” to. Knew he pulling a fast one, that’s why he didn’t ask for a 2nd opinion. DJ’s was a much fairer ask for a drop and he at least could have played it the way he suggested even if he slightly exaggerated his stance but it was still a little questionable.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
DJ for me manufactured it by taking a false stance for the shot he intended - only just seen the full thing and he claimed his stance for a chip out was as wide as his driver stance with the ball on his front foot just so his back foot touches the path ? He didn’t take that stance yesterday when he chipped out

DJs shot yesterday isn't comparable - he didn't have a backswing at all but did today so it's reasonable to use a different stance. (if we're thinking of the same chip out) He didn't claim it as wide as his driver stance, he's just tall.

Either way pretty poor explicitly calling out his on course integrity. If the ref said no he would have played on, as Rory then did. All players would have asked the same question.