WGC - Fitzpatrick

El Diablo

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Interesting to see Matt Fitpatrick using cross hands to chip/pitch, was asked about it in his post round interview and he almost seemed embarrassed that it had been picked up.

Apparently it is one of his practice drills to prevent him driving the hands through.

I just admit to the yips and use this method when completely devoid of confidence .....

dronfield

Visit site
Somebody i used to play with putted left below right and then used the same grip when chipping round the edge of greens.
i remember Faldo used to promote using your putting grip/stroke on chips around the green, so i guess if you putt left hand low, thats how you might want to chip?
Must admit, i putt left below right, but it does not feel natural to chip/hold a normal club that way.

Rich

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
A county selector tells me he has always practised that way, both he and Alex can hit the ball equally well cross handed or normally with putts, chip or full shots.

El Diablo

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Interesting, as I have followed him at Wentworth and cannot recall this practicing - a few years ago I remember a duffed chip on the par 3 10th after he had hit his tee shot into the gallery and most interestingly a ruling on the 11th where his ball disappeared into the upper face of a bunker (never to be seen again) and he got free relief - think it was a failed attempt to exit the bunker.

I will clearly have to watch him more closely this year if he is playing there.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
My mate was paired with a guy in a County Match, who hit every shot cross handed. He thought, this will be easy, and lost 4&2 ;)

I also played with a guy recently who hit it miles off the tee. After 7 holes I noticed he too was playing cross handed. Doesnt make me want to try it though!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
My mate was paired with a guy in a County Match, who hit every shot cross handed. He thought, this will be easy, and lost 4&2 ;)

I also played with a guy recently who hit it miles off the tee. After 7 holes I noticed he too was playing cross handed. Doesnt make me want to try it though!
A bloke at my place plays off 2 that way. Hits with a lot of forearm power, drills the ball. Didn't get much height though which I wondered if that was down to the cross handed aspect. Did your guy keep it low or was he able to get loft this way still?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
decent flight, as I said, took me an hour to notice! :)
Must just have been how he played then. I played with this lad first time I played at the club as a member. He thrashed the backside off the ball 1st hole, you could hear it fizz, and it went for miles. That made you watch his next tee shot so I noticed something odd within a couple of holes. It took another hole to work out what was odd about his swing, my brain couldn't handle it. It seemed quite restrictive but it certainly worked for him.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
i started off playing right handed but with a left handed grip then I turned to the dark side and went full lefty

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
A slight angle away from Fitzpatrick but I can't help but notice Rory once again couldn't handle a final round.

Brooks really is the best in the world by some margin now.