WGC - Firestone

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I am not sure why so many people think Rory is playing poorly when he has been in and around the top so much this season. Obviously he has areas to improve on (as does anyone) but he is still playing very well and if he tightens up a few areas of his game he will win very soon.
I guess it's just because he set ridiculously high standards by winning multiple majors when he was still young. Last couple of years have been a bit of a lull by comparison.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If the strength of your game is driving and hitting it a mile and being aggresive it'd be pretty stupid to lose that advantage by hitting less club. Obviously it's better if you have a plan b to revert to (as Jack successfully used to) during the round if your driving's off

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
I thought DJ's interview was very interesting yesterday. Anyone catch the bit where he said he hit a knock down 9 iron into the green as a wedge just wasn't the right club. To me, Rory is hitting everything flat out, a modicum of error in a flat out wedge is going to look horrible when it misses the green. Thomas also appears to have also developed a more subtle approach to wedge play, that is paying dividends.

Sure Rory is electric when everything works perfectly, if he is happy playing that way, that's his choice, but it's frustrating for us when he's in contention and it just seems to slip away. To be honest, that is an alarm bell for me, going into the Ryder cup.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Rory, fantastic ball striker, seems like an absolutely brilliant very likeable guy but a short game to rival Westwood.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I thought DJ's interview was very interesting yesterday. Anyone catch the bit where he said he hit a knock down 9 iron into the green as a wedge just wasn't the right club. To me, Rory is hitting everything flat out, a modicum of error in a flat out wedge is going to look horrible when it misses the green. Thomas also appears to have also developed a more subtle approach to wedge play, that is paying dividends.

Sure Rory is electric when everything works perfectly, if he is happy playing that way, that's his choice, but it's frustrating for us when he's in contention and it just seems to slip away. To be honest, that is an alarm bell for me, going into the Ryder cup.
I did hear that, because I recall he said it was 130 and he took a 9 iron. It stuck in my mind because that was the first time a pro ever took the same club as I would for a particular yardage! :rofl: Although I'd be hitting it full obviously...

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
If the strength of your game is driving and hitting it a mile and being aggresive it'd be pretty stupid to lose that advantage by hitting less club. Obviously it's better if you have a plan b to revert to (as Jack successfully used to) during the round if your driving's off

It's not just this week though is it, this year alone Rory seems to get himself in contention only for the driver to fail him. He was seriously poor with the driver at Augusta and refused to change his game.

Not saying he shouldn't use his driver, as you say it's a major weapon when working. But maybe a little bit more thought process. Stand on the tee and think, if my driver goes slightly wrong will I shut myself out from the green or end up in worse trouble. If no, then crack on, if yes have a think, maybe a 3 wood may be a better choice.

He's obviously not going to read a forum and take this advice, but the whole point of a forum is to discuss things

D

Deleted member 15344

Rory, fantastic ball striker, seems like an absolutely brilliant very likeable guy but a short game to rival Westwood.

I’m guessing you didn’t watch most of the round yesterday because his short game and scrambling was actually saving him a lot of time - his struggles were off the tee and his second shots were either flying the green being short or left leaving him numerous treacherous chips which he actually executed very well

And comparisons to Westwood are a bit silly - Rory has four majors to his name , his game is good enough to get him those majors. Only two Europeans in my lifetime has beaten that number and a lot more have got nowhere near that.

There is also a lot of time left in his career to win more

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I guess it's just because he set ridiculously high standards by winning multiple majors when he was still young. Last couple of years have been a bit of a lull by comparison.

Yeah I agree, I think everyone is expecting him to chase and push for the win in that position. The way he played the last few years was poor so I think now he is competing on final days is great.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I’m guessing you didn’t watch most of the round yesterday because his short game and scrambling was actually saving him a lot of time - his struggles were off the tee and his second shots were either flying the green being short or left leaving him numerous treacherous chips which he actually executed very well

And comparisons to Westwood are a bit silly - Rory has four majors to his name , his game is good enough to get him those majors. Only two Europeans in my lifetime has beaten that number and a lot more have got nowhere near that.

There is also a lot of time left in his career to win more

That sharp he fell down the field like a stone to the bottom of a pond.

As I say look at his approach to the 72nd hole of The Open. Never an excuse just plain honking!

D

Deleted member 15344

That sharp he fell down the field like a stone to the bottom of a pond.

As I say look at his approach to the 72nd hole of The Open. Never an excuse just plain honking!

His short game wasn’t the reason he dropped down the leaderboard to end up still 6th - it was off the tee that’s were his struggles were

And yep he had a poor approach in one Open - remember seeing plenty of good approaches when winning his four majors

Rory’s game right now isn’t firing on all cylinders and there are issues that he will no doubt look to rectify but even when he is still not playing great it shows how good he is that he is still challenging for wins - I have seen Rory hit wedges better than anyone but it’s a sport of form and right now Rory’s is patchy but it won’t take much for it all to be tight again

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
His short game wasn’t the reason he dropped down the leaderboard to end up still 6th - it was off the tee that’s were his struggles were

And yep he had a poor approach in one Open - remember seeing plenty of good approaches when winning his four majors

Rory’s game right now isn’t firing on all cylinders and there are issues that he will no doubt look to rectify but even when he is still not playing great it shows how good he is that he is still challenging for wins - I have seen Rory hit wedges better than anyone but it’s a sport of form and right now Rory’s is patchy but it won’t take much for it all to be tight again

Yip as I said and you have just clarified yourself. Brilliant ball striker, short game like Westwood.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
On the plus side for Europe I think it's a positive that Rory will be the weakest link on team Europe.

Shows the quality and strength of the side.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Didn't manage to watch any of this over the weekend. Seems like Tiger and Rory had pretty good blow-ups which is a shame, and from the sound of it Tiger played awful over the weekend, especially back-nine on Sunday. Eugh, still think he'll win this season though.

Also, just checked the leaderboard and noticed that Rory only hit 21% of Fairways and 39% of greens on Sunday. Not good.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Yip as I said and you have just clarified yourself. Brilliant ball striker, short game like Westwood.

It depends what you class as short game. His wedge play around the green was really good yesterday. 50-100 yards was dreadful.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Sure Rory has had a quiet season, but he's actually 5th in world rankings this week.
19th in the Fed Ex Cup.
4th in the Race to Dubai.

As I've said previously, his putting has looked pretty solid this season. It was unbelievable at Bay Hill when he won by a few.
Remember he also had a very short season last year due to injuries at the start of the year and didn't really ever get going.

His wedges are letting him down, but it's likely to be a very minor issue that he can hopefully put his finger on. He could easily get on a tear and win 2 or 3 events before the end of the year.

He will likely play quite a lot of golf between now and the end of the year.
The PGA
at least 3 of the 4 Fed Ex Cup playoffs
Ryder Cup
WGC in China
then 3 final European Tour events in Turkey, S. Africa and Dubai.

That would still give him most of October off after the RC if he was going to work on anything - or he may play another ET event if he has eyes on winning the R2D.

I think Rory loves playing at this time of year when there is no free wheeling and every round matters and can put you in a good spot for the following weeks event.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just checked the stats - Rory actually ranks very highly this season in proximity to hole from inside 100 yards and from 100-150 yards. Just had a bad couple of weeks and made some poor swings at important times.

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
Rory had a bad Sunday, his driving wasn’t as good as normal, and his short irons are his biggest issue IMO, missing greens from 80yds is bad at our level, it’s criminal at his!

Tiger had a bad weekend, his driving is still an issue, but this weekend his short game let him down too, I thought I needed a new TV on Saturday when he had a different putter.

I hope both of them can go on and win more tournaments, hopefully Major’s.