WGC Dell Technologies Match Play - Slow Play

apj0524

Head Pro
Visit site
Why the hell did the PGA allow the Slow Play yesterday, it was painful to watch.

By all accounts they didn't just loose a hole to Kuchar and Perez they lost several, I just don't get it, it was a bloody two ball after all :mad:

D

Deleted member 3432

Why the hell did the PGA allow the Slow Play yesterday, it was painful to watch.

By all accounts they didn't just loose a hole to Kuchar and Perez they lost several, I just don't get it, it was a bloody two ball after all :mad:

They don't care is the simple answer (unless its a 14 year old Chinese amatuer).

Switch it off, I stopped watching years ago when I binned Sky Sports and don't miss it one bit.

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The trouble with televised match play is that there are so few active games on the course so the broadcasters can't hide how slow they are.

And as for the "they're playing for lots of money" - professional sportspeople are entertainers. Nothing else. If they want to play for big purses then start entertaining us. If people start switching off, then the sponsors and TV companies go. If they go then the big purses go.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm with sweaty sock, Matchplay is too hard work to watch, particularly when there are not enough people on the course for the director to cut around. The simple answer is to turn off. Viewing numbers are the only thing the PGA will listen to.

I went with a mystifying Midsommer Murder last night. Boy those plots are tricky to follow :LOL:

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
And as for the rule that someone in a hazard is closer to the hole no matter if they are dropping a mile away..... where did that come from?!

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
What did people do between shots when Tiger played Phil for ‘the match’? Or when Phil and Brady played against Manning and someone else? There is always time between shots with little action on the course.

DannyOT

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It certainly proved why matchplay would struggle to work as a format for a major tournament.

Too few groups out to flick between and if you end up with a final like yesterday, you've got little choice but to sit and watch it.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I guess when there's $1.8mil on the line they'll take their time? I don't know why it bothers people, it's not like you were stuck behind them.
Because it made my eyes bleed and so I was continually changing channels and in the end gave up on the Final after 12 holes. I am thinking that that is not what the USPGA, Sky and Dell would have wished for.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Because it made my eyes bleed and so I was continually changing channels and in the end gave up on the Final after 12 holes. I am thinking that that is not what the USPGA and Dell would have wished for.
There aren't exactly many matchplay events on the circuit so they're probably not too worried. You can't really predict or guarantee who will go through so Dell must know what they're sponsoring and that it's a bit of a risk in terms of spectacle.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
They don't care is the simple answer (unless its a 14 year old Chinese amatuer).

Switch it off, I stopped watching years ago when I binned Sky Sports and don't miss it one bit.
i canc my Sky, but i didn't watch much golf anyway, mostly down to the slow play on almost every Tournament. like watching paint dry most of the time.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
I had to watch the final in chunks and most of it at x30 in between shots, players just looked knackered. There's no guarantee with the top 64 players in the world to have a load of big names in the last few rounds so I'd just go back to the straight knock-out and move it around the place. If, for example, that was played at Royal Melbourne everyone would be raving about the place and forgetting to moan about the slow nature of the last couple of rounds.