Wet weather club championship

Are you going to play?

• Total voters

RichA

Visit site
You've qualified for the 18-hole final round of the club championship on Saturday morning and this is the weather forecast...
IMG_2909.jpeg

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah I'd always want to play the Club Champs - biggest comp of the year. If it's raining I'd just think great, that means the winning score will probably be more achievable as people struggle with the conditions.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Yes. It’s 36 holes over two days with a cut after Saturday. The club makes clear in the comp T of C that when we enter we commit to playing both days if we make the cut - in the past too many times players making the cut haven’t turned up and it’s caused problems with players occasionally left ‘stranded’ or making for very irregular pace of play.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I detest playing in heavy rain in the summer, too hot in waterproofs which stick to you and make me miserable! Don’t mind playing in any conditions in winter.

If it was a standard comp I’d probably knock it on the head as long as I wasn’t leaving others on their own. But I’d play if it was club champs, probably accept I was going to get wet, try to stay under my brolly as much as possible to avoid wearing waterproofs!

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I won my only Club Championship in driving rain...in fact I scored better in the afternoon during 3hrs of downpour than I did in the morning when it was blazing hot sunshine and the greens were like glass.

D

Deleted member 29109

That forecast doesn’t look too bad.

I’ve played 3 or 4 rounds of handicap knockout matches in rain this year. All bar one of my opponents has messaged having seen the forecast asking if I’d like to rearrange. One even called the captain asking for an extension without my knowledge and postponed the game which was a bit naughty.

I feel like I have the advantage before teeing off if it’s raining as the other person clearly doesn’t want to be there. I won all the matches the other player wanted to postpone and happened to lose the one we just got on and played (in disgusting weather).

As someone else pointed out, when it’s raining, half the field has given up before they even start. So take the mindset that you are going to battle the conditions, take appropriate measures to deal with them as best you can and crack on.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
The Club Champs don't really mean that much to me other than the fact its off the black tees which was a rare change/challenge. But even that has been negated this year by the captain holding his qualifiers off the blacks so I've had the chance to play off them in that (he even held some on a Wednesday so the midweek players could have a crack).

Ours is held over two Saturdays in July and blocking out two weekends in holiday season was just a no go really so not bothered this year.

If the weather was pants (as its forecast to be) then I'd rather just wait til the Sunday - which is exactly what I've done. Open at Clitheroe to look forward to.

Captain_Black.

Visit site
I'd wait until the night before as the forecast often changes & is only accurate the day before normally.
Light rain, I'd play.
Heavy rain where the greens are likely to hold lots of water & partially flood (they do at my course) I'd pull out.

full_throttle

Tour Winner
Visit site
Last group out in the morning, I was comfortably above the cut line, (top 24), worst weather was towards the end of the round, I declined the offer to play tomorrow as I'm hoping to take the good lady out for the day

stevieb15

Hacker
Visit site
Where weather is concerned I have been two kinds of golfer, when working I played no matter how bad, since retirement and i can play 365 days a year, why would I ever tee it up wearing Galvin Green?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Where weather is concerned I have been two kinds of golfer, when working I played no matter how bad, since retirement and i can play 365 days a year, why would I ever tee it up wearing Galvin Green?

A very valid point. If you have one day to play you play, if you can pick and choose why would you tee up when it's wet