Wet weather club championship

Are you going to play?

• Total voters

wjemather

Visit site
What is there to enjoy about playing in the rain? It's absolutely miserable & I hate it. I play with like minded folks &, if it's wet, we don't fancy it & nobody else is inconvenienced we call it off.
Golf is always enjoyable; weather is just part the challenge.

If you've entered a competition, or even just booked a tee time, and drop out (especially close to the time), you are more than likely inconveniencing someone, even if it's not your like-minded playing partners.

RichA

Visit site
Its only water and your skin is waterproof. :unsure:
It is and it is.
And if it was warm enough and socially acceptable in the UK, I would happily play golf as nature intended.
However, it isn't and it isn't so I'm required to wear clothes which, once wet, are quite unpleasant to wear for 4 hours of physical activity.

Captain_Black.

Visit site
Golf is always enjoyable; weather is just part the challenge.

If you've entered a competition, or even just booked a tee time, and drop out (especially close to the time), you are more than likely inconveniencing someone, even if it's not your like-minded playing partners.
Not really sure how you would that out.
If as a group, you think no not playing in that, how is that an inconvenience?
Golf is supposed to be fun at our level, nothing fun about playing in pouring rain for four & a bit hours.

wjemather

Visit site
Not really sure how you would that out.
If as a group, you think no not playing in that, how is that an inconvenience?
Golf is supposed to be fun at our level, nothing fun about playing in pouring rain for four & a bit hours.
This is a bigger problem. I hope you let everyone play through.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
It is and it is.
And if it was warm enough and socially acceptable in the UK, I would happily play golf as nature intended.
However, it isn't and it isn't so I'm required to wear clothes which, once wet, are quite unpleasant to wear for 4 hours of physical activity.
Then all you need to do is find some clothes that you find pleasant to wear when they are wet. :unsure:

D

Deleted member 29109

Then all you need to do is find some clothes that you find pleasant to wear when they are wet. :unsure:
I’ll play in almost any weather. I take the mindset that it adds to the challenge and take appropriate measures to deal with the weather as best I can.

Wear appropriate clothing. Take multiple gloves, a couple of towels, sometimes a change of rain jacket. Have a waterproof bag to keep stuff dry.

Accept that it’s going to be damp, embrace it and you’ve beaten most of the field before you start.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I don't mind a bit of rain, but if its absolutely tipping it down all the way round, that's no fun at all. Only a masochist would get any enjoyment from that.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Rain I view as something unfortunate that may happen when you are out on the course. But if its sure to be raining from the first, it isnt weather for golf. I will skip it.

Similarly, waterproofs I see as like a car seat belt - I have them in my bag like I always put the belt on, but if I had foresight that the belt was actually going to be used for real, I would stay at home.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
I always chirped on about how its the same for everyone and a challenge is a challenge, and weve all got waterproof etc etc

But I accept I was wrong. It's not enjoyable its just a trudge, and theres very little to enjoy or learn or take away. Its not even really spending time with friends as everyone is just hiding under umbrellas.

Next time its chucking down, I'm going to suggest going back to our junior days, and just hanging around the clubhouse playing darts and cards....

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
This topic specifically asked about Club Champs, which I would always want to attend. But generally speaking - Saturday just gone for example, the forecast was constant rain so there was no way I was putting myself through that. Opted to play Sunday instead. I don't mind the odd shower while I'm playing - get the umbrella up or jacket on and crack on with it - but if it's chucking it down before you even start it's usually best not to bother.