Westwood wants a bigger hole...

cleanstrike

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I don't agree with the idea of making the hole bigger. Instead, there should be four or five holes on each green, spaced out so that wherever the ball comes to rest it's no more than three feet from one of the holes. Then I could one putt everything.:rofl:

And I don't understand why he's babbling on about shorter formats 'cos we've already got one ... it's called 9 holes.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I don't agree with the idea of making the hole bigger. Instead, there should be four or five holes on each green, spaced out so that wherever the ball comes to rest it's no more than three feet from one of the holes. Then I could one putt everything.:rofl:

And I don't understand why he's babbling on about shorter formats 'cos we've already got one ... it's called 9 holes.

Not sure if I've ever had the opportunity to play in a 9 hole club comp unless its weather affected. Who's club runs these on a regular basis?

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Personally I think that the size of the "hole cup" is the least of golfing's problems so far as attracting golfers for the future is concerned, the antiquated image doesn't help and then there's the shear price of it and that's just getting warmed up really !...:rolleyes:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Although putting isn't easy, the difficult bit for newbies is getting the ball to the green in the first place....making the hole bigger isn't going to stop beginners taking 5 to the green.
Build beginners courses. Short, 9 holers with wide open, largely hazard free spaces.
Have larger holes, by all means, but the size of the hole isn't what makes golf difficult.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Personally I think that the size of the "hole cup" is the least of golfing's problems so far as attracting golfers for the future is concerned, the antiquated image doesn't help and then there's the shear price of it and that's just getting warmed up really !...:rolleyes:
Buying or leasing and maintaining the 150 acres that an average 18 hole golf course occupies, plus a clubhouse, is never going to be cheap! Shorter courses with fewer holes might be a good way of reducing costs and the time it takes to play a round of golf. Doesn't have to be 18 holes; could be 9 or 12.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
WE do hold 9 hole competitions when we have a medal, but it is intended only for those who are physically not able to play 18.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
WE do hold 9 hole competitions when we have a medal, but it is intended only for those who are physically not able to play 18.
Even at 9 hole courses, 18 holes seems to be the accepted norm for competitions. You then get the problem of feeding players starting their second nine back in at the 1st tee, so the whole round takes even longer than at an 18 hole course! :(

Last edited:

Paul77

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Everyone who plays golf knows why there's not a lot more players that play, but no onw will really come out and say why and just dance around the real issue on why the average joe doesn't take up golf. Too expensive for the average Joe and also socially a game that's been reserved for a certain tier of society (historically)

Golf has always sat next to a bigger sport in a country. In Scotland (where I am) It's played by nearly everybody I know in some form, yet there's still clubs in trouble financially. After they buy all their gear, not many have the money to play regularly on a course as a member. For them that's when they eother give up or just not play as much.