Bigger Hole Maybe Delc Was Right.................................

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
This is my 3rd annual visit, not sure why I go into a fight I can’t win only to get battered & beaten up 🤔

I’m level on balls, lost 1 on the Kernow on day 1 but found as many (better) balls than I lost yesterday in the lateral ditches on the Nicklaus so I’m not too bothered, but it’s brutal, although I’ve driven well, I’ve been greedy with 2nd shots that have cost me and with a 2 club wind with gusts more than that, it’s tough going.

I put 2 in the pond on the par3 😡

Into battle again at 10am 😳
Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more;
Or close the wall up with our English dead.
In peace there's nothing so becomes a man
As modest stillness and humility:
But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
Then imitate the action of the tiger;
Stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood,
Disguise fair nature with hard-favour'd rage;
Then lend the eye a terrible aspect;
Let pry through the portage of the head
Like the brass cannon; let the brow o'erwhelm it
As fearfully as doth a galled rock
O'erhang and jutty his confounded base,
Swill'd with the wild and wasteful ocean.
Now set the teeth and stretch the nostril wide,
Hold hard the breath and bend up every spirit
To his full height. On, on, you noblest English.
Whose blood is fet from fathers of war-proof!
Fathers that, like so many Alexanders,
Have in these parts from morn till even fought
And sheathed their swords for lack of argument:
Dishonour not your mothers; now attest
That those whom you call'd fathers did beget you.
Be copy now to men of grosser blood,
And teach them how to war. And you, good yeoman,
Whose limbs were made in England, show us here
The mettle of your pasture; let us swear
That you are worth your breeding; which I doubt not;
For there is none of you so mean and base,
That hath not noble lustre in your eyes.
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
Cry 'God for FISH, England, and Saint George!'

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
To me there is several flaws in this thread.

Golf being more popular if you only play 9 hole courses, why? I know some very good 9 hole courses but is the point of this to make our hobby only 2 hours? When you look at stronger sports such as fishing, the equipment is just as if not more expensive and people generally go for the whole day, so being out the house for 4/5 hours on a Sunday morning still makes golf an ideal option for those stresses with free time.
It's about having more options. I'll use my wife as an example as I've asked her a few times over the years if she wanted to try golf with me. She normally says 'only if it's a short one where I can see the hole' (which I took to mean par 3s), and she doesn't want it to take all day like it does when I go out to play (which I took to mean 9 holes). I'm sure there's a vast number of people who have no interest in trekking around a course for 4 hours but wouldn't mind 1.5-2 hours of short holes.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Interesting thread. Wasn't a bigger ball adopted by the R+A, I forget when, but then surely a bigger hole should have been made? Not much bigger, but bigger none the less to accomodate the bigger ball. Also, some courses have thick rough where balls just vanish. This should be mown much closer so balls can be found, yet you are still penalised coz the stuff is tough to get out of. This would speed up play. Also cutting grass between trees. One place I used to hate as they were too damn lazy to do this, but they do now. Making it a much better golfing experience, and, again, quicker to get round. As for pre-shot routine, those that freeze on the tee, for what seems liek an age, WHAT ARE THEY WAITING FOR???????, before swiping at the ball.