Bigger Hole Maybe Delc Was Right.................................

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Always find this one a bit daft.

I've no issue with the idea of changing the size of the hole to shift the balance between ball striking and holing out - which is exactly what it would do.

It would make no difference at all to the concept of making the game easier! The basic paradigms change, what was previously good putting will still be good putting - as will poor putting. It's just that instead of, say, a 30% probability from 10ft representing good it will become 80% (or maybe higher at a 6" hole).

So the player who has problems standing over the 3' putt he knows he should make will now have the same feelings at 10'.

The game changes, but it doesn't get easier to play or compete, only easier for most to score better than they currently do.

Whilst it would speed up the game a little there are far, far, better ways to do that for those who simply wish for a 2 hour game rather than whatever it currently takes where they play - most of my golf at this time of year is matches; which means around 8 hours plus any travel for my game of golf. My choice. I hate slow play but that's nothing to do with the time I'm out playing my golf.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
A few suggestions.
Play to the Foot golf holes.
Reduce the course length by playing off the ladies tees.
Bunkers are fine on seaside links but remove them elsewhere to help simplify the game.
Stop charging £25 for 9 holes at P&P's.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
...Lots of young'uns playing. I was right by the 2nd tee so stopped hitting as they played...

Overall.. crikey, the preshot routines took ages. a couple took 4 practice swings, most of them 3. Lots of faffing around. Are they getting taught that? Are they copying Tour players? No idea.
Practice swings take a couple of seconds each! Say 6 seconds 'wasted' per shot on 90-100 shots...that's 9-10 minutes in a round that last 4 mhours! And if they are all doing that, there's nothing really lost anyway! Golf is not about rushing around in the least possible time - it's about scoring least. Though there is an expectation that time won't be wasted, so some education might be valuable - for some!

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Is that really true ? I've been around the game on and off for around 40+ years and I don't think I have ever come across anyone who hasn't broke 100.
You have had a sheltered life....hanging around at the local muni and joining up with anyone who would let me go round with them showed me there are definitely such players. As to numbers, it's a US statistic from decades ago and I've no reason to dispute it. Even more so when you consider than many are unable to get a handicap of 54 on merit (which is actually more like a handicap of 70 in old handicapping calcs).

User20204

Visit site
How can they gather such a statistic if none of these players have handicaps and just play for fun as they wouldn't be registering such scores.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I don't think I have ever come across anyone who hasn't broke 100.
Really? There some regular posters on here that are still looking to break that milestone and they'll be over the moon when they do. As long as they are good company and pace of play isn't an issue then I'm happy to play with them irrespective of whether they can break 100 or not. Isn't golf supposed to be inclusive?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
How can they gather such a statistic if none of these players have handicaps and just play for fun as they wouldn't be registering such scores.
Easy - paper based surveys.
However, the statistical significance or accuracy would probably equate to the underlying usefulness of the statistic in the first place!
But, and arguable more relevant, it's no accident that most US public courses have appropriate tees for such players, and the handicapping system accomadate them....so someone believed, and acted on, the statistic.
Here we generally bleat about the future of the game and do nothing constructive (arguing why people who can't score well shouldn't be on the course and that no one with a handicap of more than 18/24/28/36 (pick your position it's all in people posts over the years on here, and elsewhere).

User20204

Visit site
Really? There some regular posters on here that are still looking to break that milestone and they'll be over the moon when they do. As long as they are good company and pace of play isn't an issue then I'm happy to play with them irrespective of whether they can break 100 or not. Isn't golf supposed to be inclusive?

Ye really, what's your point ?

User20204

Visit site
The point is simple but I'll spell it out so even you can understand. There are some golfers who have and probably never will break 100 so a) you must have been really sheltered in your golfing experiences and b) does it matter if they never do?

Hmmm....I'm not entirely sure if you are carry a full pallet load, your replies suggest otherwise but just in case, a) Clearly b) no, nobody said otherwise.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I wonder how many of those suggesting bigger holes hit at least 50% of fairways, 50% of greens or chip close? Putting takes some flak from those who score badly but no one says lets have fairways 30 yards wider.

If someone wants to make the game easier, book some lessons.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
No surprise but I am 100% behind Mr Westwood.

I love short courses, I think golf has a future with high quality 9 hole courses in and around 2000-3000 yards.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
To me there is several flaws in this thread.

Golf being more popular if you only play 9 hole courses, why? I know some very good 9 hole courses but is the point of this to make our hobby only 2 hours? When you look at stronger sports such as fishing, the equipment is just as if not more expensive and people generally go for the whole day, so being out the house for 4/5 hours on a Sunday morning still makes golf an ideal option for those stresses with free time.

The size of the whole in my opinion is total waffle! We’ve done bigger balls, bigger drivers, more forgiving clubs yet the average level of the game is pretty consistent. The problem getting new blood into the sport is the fact that the newer generation have a limited pool of people prepared to grind it out to improve.

The one thing I am fully behind is the slow play points raised in this thread, but I can’t help to think that this topic is doing more harm than good. I’m still witnessing people taking longer than 3 mins to look for a lost ball so this needs to be policed by others in the group, if people want to take a couple of swings who cares....!!!! If they take 3 swings at 20 seconds and then split the fairway it will still be quicker than a round with a tee it wack it player who constantly finds the rough.

The problem is slow players not letting groups through if they’ve lost pace.

Rant over!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
To me there is several flaws in this thread.

Golf being more popular if you only play 9 hole courses, why? I know some very good 9 hole courses but is the point of this to make our hobby only 2 hours? When you look at stronger sports such as fishing, the equipment is just as if not more expensive and people generally go for the whole day, so being out the house for 4/5 hours on a Sunday morning still makes golf an ideal option for those stresses with free time.

The size of the whole in my opinion is total waffle! We’ve done bigger balls, bigger drivers, more forgiving clubs yet the average level of the game is pretty consistent. The problem getting new blood into the sport is the fact that the newer generation have a limited pool of people prepared to grind it out to improve.

The one thing I am fully behind is the slow play points raised in this thread, but I can’t help to think that this topic is doing more harm than good. I’m still witnessing people taking longer than 3 mins to look for a lost ball so this needs to be policed by others in the group, if people want to take a couple of swings who cares....!!!! If they take 3 swings at 20 seconds and then split the fairway it will still be quicker than a round with a tee it wack it player who constantly finds the rough.

The problem is slow players not letting groups through if they’ve lost pace.

Rant over!
Don't apologise for the rant. I agree totally and don't feel shorter courses, different equipment etc are going to make a difference to growing the game or making golf more enjoyable as a hobby. Slow play is the cancer within the game and until PP's and clubs take the matter seriously at grass roots level this is only going to get worse.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
The only way it could be made easier here at StMellion is by bringing in a fleet of bulldozers to go down each side of the Nicklaus course fairways, fill in the ponds and put a hole on the green akin to what some of the scrubbers on Eastenders must have 😜

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The only way it could be made easier here at StMellion is by bringing in a fleet of bulldozers to go down each side of the Nicklaus course fairways, fill in the ponds and put a hole on the green akin to what some of the scrubbers on Eastenders must have 😜
Enjoying the Nicklaus course are we? Hard going isn't it? I assume you're off to the pro shop to stock up on balls

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Enjoying the Nicklaus course are we? Hard going isn't it? I assume you're off to the pro shop to stock up on balls

This is my 3rd annual visit, not sure why I go into a fight I can’t win only to get battered & beaten up 🤔

I’m level on balls, lost 1 on the Kernow on day 1 but found as many (better) balls than I lost yesterday in the lateral ditches on the Nicklaus so I’m not too bothered, but it’s brutal, although I’ve driven well, I’ve been greedy with 2nd shots that have cost me and with a 2 club wind with gusts more than that, it’s tough going.

I put 2 in the pond on the par3 😡

Into battle again at 10am 😳