West Hill (Surrey)

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Played it in the Help for Heroes GoKart Challenger Trophy Day which I was defending and had only heard excellent things so I was really looking forward to it, and I wasn't disappointed.

On your arrival through the private electric gates you walk up the steps to the front of the clubhouse from the car park and its their that you get an excellent view of the 18th green and approaching fairway which is tree lined all down one side and vibrant purple heather and grasses on the other with water ditches and a healthy amount of bunkers on its approach.

IMAG1003.jpg

The 1st tee is also nearby with the fairway running off into the distance with a couple of bunkers well placed on the right and a water ditch runs across the fairway which will catch any big hitters out as it starts to slope down to it at about 256yds so the ditch is possibly around 300yds so well in reach for the forum distances that can be gained! The green is then back on the upside well protected with 5 bunkers with a severe slope front to back. An excellent starting and well thought out hole.

IMAG1000-1.jpgIMAG0999.jpgIMAG1000.jpg

The 2nd hole is back towards the clubhouse and you have to carry a lot of cabbage to the start of the fairway over a lot of heather, perfectly placed bunkers at around 220yds and 248yds staggered on either side of the fairway make you stand on the tee and think about your drive. Quite a tight fairway and protected with more bunkers 60yds in from the green which is protected by grass banks.

The 3rd is an excellent hole as you stand on the tee and wonder what is around the right to left dogleg again having to carry at least 180yds possibly to get on some short stuff. Its a 475yd par 4 with OOB all down the left and well protected with bunkers down the right side of the fairway between 230yds and 265yds so a straight drive can catch you out and an over drawn drive can send you OOB!, You have to get off the tee well here.

The 4th is the first par 3 at 193yds, there is nothing but heather & grass between you and the green fringe so no duffed shots here, you could possibly get away with a 140yd slap but anything shorter or its a reload. Bunkers on both sides front & centre.

The first of the par 5's is the 5th, a big drive is required as the fairway narrows to nothing at around 305yds with cabbage across it for about 40yds so you need to get through and over that accurately by laying up to leave yourself a good approach shot into a well protected green with OOB to the rear and slightly left.

The 6th was one of my favourite holes, a blind tee shot up a steep hill to the marker, favouring the left of the fairway will open up the green otherwise you are negotiating some very large staggered bunkers, its tight all the way with huge pines and the green is surrounded by trees also, a stunning hole to look down to after your drive, if you've reached the top.

The 7th is a 170yd par 3, again its carry over spme heather, theirs a cluster of large bunkers short of 155yds to the raised green but accuracy is the key.

The 8th is a beautiful looking hole, again fairway bunkers perfectly placed at around 200yds on the right and then a trio of them angled across the fairway from the left at about 270yds to 320yds, its like a chicane on the approach you, really have to plot your landing positions well.

The 9th is another par 3 at 173yds, a little more open compared to the others but no room to be long, well protected with 2 large facing bunkers to the front of the green, heather all the way down the left approach so a draw is favourable as the tall trees on the left don't allow faders much room.

A good drive is required for the par 4 4th hole with OOB all down the left, well positioned bunkers again staggered down the sides of the fairway and in the middle of the fairway from 100yds out of the green. This is tight, narrow and is a no risk hole.

The 11th is a very intimidating tee box, you need to carry about 165yds to get on the short stuff and over the 2 large bunkers but anything longer than 230yds and you run out of fairway and into heather, its tight again with tree lining both sides. Its a decent 2nd shot in then for this 293yds short par 4 as you need to carry again only about 120yds to reach the long narrow fringe but its all about plotting your way forward, any miss hits on this hole and its a bogey at best.

The drivable par 4 12th is only 288yds but is surround by at least 9 bunkers either side from 191yds leading right to the sides of the 2-tiered green. Its a risk & reward hole for those that feel they can take it on.

The 13th is another nice 150yd par 3 which is well protected by trees and again very large bunkers, if you don't find the green then a 4 is probably the best you'll do with OOB all to the rear.

The par 4 14th is the index 1 and is a great looking hole. OOB all to the right. tree's down the left, sharp left to right dogleg, staggered bunkers and grass mounds to contend with all the way down the fairway. Its only 432yds but plays like a par 5! You can take on the corner but any fade will see your ball disappear not really knowing where it may have come down and a long draw can see you amongst the 16th tee box!

A long par 3 at 211yds, you need to carry almost all of this from the intimidating tee box through a very narrow tree lined approach which doesn't open up for about 170yds and then you'll find 5 large bunkers, anything right and your chipping out of dense trees.

A steep downward drive down the 16th favouring the right side of the fairway is needed as their is a ditch and scrub at only 270yds so bigger hitters will roll in, its then an uphill approach to a raised well protected green.

The 17th is another par 5 at 541yds, well placed bunkers litter the fairway at around 240yds & 260yds, its 296yds to a 60yd length of heather & grass across the fairway from the raised tee box but the fairway becomes quite narrow then with an offset green tucked well into the right tree line.

Its a very nice 18th 440yd par 4 finishing hole with the clubhouse on the horizon. Plenty of heather and grass to carry, bunker in the centre of the fairway at about 280yds, another 2 bunkers then straddle the rising fairway at around 350yds, heather and grass all up the right of the narrow fairway and a water ditch if you go too far left, OOB all the way up the left make this a testing hole, especially if you are chasing a score.

A superb heathland course, very true undulating and 2-tier greens which I thought would be faster but they received the ball very well. Tree lined throughout the course making wayward shots very penalising and grass and heather that will swallow your balls with any short duffed tee shots.

6386yds but plays and feels a little longer as you have to navigate your way around, especially if your off-line as it will penalise you very easily, a strategic and accurate approach is required.

There are some practice nets to warm up, a chipping area and practice putting green.

IMAG1002.jpg

The carvery meal was excellent and good hand pull beers (Youngs) :cheers:

Everyone I spoke to at the club was extremely friendly and accommodating

Having a strokesaver on the day also helped in addition to my GPS and was good quality, I mark mine as I go around so I can refer to my positions when I return, which I will do soon :thup:

Fully recommended.

More pictures

IMAG1014.jpgIMAG1004.jpgIMAG1005.jpgIMAG1006.jpgIMAG1007.jpgIMAG1008.jpgIMAG1009.jpgIMAG1011.jpgIMAG1012.jpgIMAG1013.jpg

S

Snelly

An excellent review! Good work.

West Hill is a delightful golf club and I would love to be a member there.

D

Deleted member 17920

Great review and some cracking pictures. That's got to be on the list for next year. Shame they don't have many opens.

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
Nice write up. I enjoyed West Hill immensely and I'm looking forward to going back there next year.

I thought it was a course that you either needed to walk or play at least once to help you score there.

Holes 1, 3, 5, 6, 11, 12 & 14 all require some local knowledge from the tee, either picking a side to hit it or hit to a length on each hole. Loads of good strategy holes, great bunkering, fairways like carpets - what's not to like!! :)

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Nice write up. I enjoyed West Hill immensely and I'm looking forward to going back there next year.

I thought it was a course that you either needed to walk or play at least once to help you score there.

Holes 1, 3, 5, 6, 11, 12 & 14 all require some local knowledge from the tee, either picking a side to hit it or hit to a length on each hole. Loads of good strategy holes, great bunkering, fairways like carpets - what's not to like!! :)

Indeed. Though I'd add 16 and maybe 15 to that list (and maybe drop 12). But definitely agree the benefit of 'local knowledge'!

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
Indeed. Though I'd add 16 and maybe 15 to that list (and maybe drop 12). But definitely agree the benefit of 'local knowledge'!

We all see courses differently but 15 is a par 3 straight in front of you and 16 is viewable walking off 15, you just have to decide if you have the minerals to launch one over the break in the fairway.

You can't see any landing area on 12. When in fact it's a pretty safe drive down the right with the bunkers on that side being a good bail out..............for me.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
We all see courses differently but 15 is a par 3 straight in front of you and 16 is viewable walking off 15, you just have to decide if you have the minerals to launch one over the break in the fairway.

You can't see any landing area on 12. When in fact it's a pretty safe drive down the right with the bunkers on that side being a good bail out..............for me.
Swinger put one over the ditch at 16 about 40 yards short, but for most it is a lay up. It is a difficult green to hit as it actually kicks to the left as well as the right. 15 is a cracking par 3, with a very tricky green.

Just a lovely course, and having chosen it, good to hear so many enjoyed it.:thup:

Fish

Banned
Visit site
As has been said, I think once you've gone round it a couple of times you can plan your drives and approaches much better, blind on the first occasion is tough which is why I was surprised at some low scores from those whom had played it a few times prior :whistle:

Looking forward to going back, I marked my strokesaver and fell foul to a few fairway bunkers off my drives so it owes me a few shots. No issues with the par 3's, I parred the longest and toughest ones and bogeyed the easier ones!

3, 6 & 17 I really liked off the tee and then the approaches in. I'd play the Si1 totally different after walking it as it doesn't suit my shot shape and I was very close to the 16th tee box with my drive, a 5w to the bend would be my choice now followed by a good 4 iron otherwise I'm punching one low or chipping out from somewhere, nice hole but it suits a fader not a drawer :(

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
As has been said, I think once you've gone round it a couple of times you can plan your drives and approaches much better, blind on the first occasion is tough which is why I was surprised at some low scores from those whom had played it a few times prior :whistle:

Looking forward to going back, I marked my strokesaver and fell foul to a few fairway bunkers off my drives so it owes me a few shots. No issues with the par 3's, I parred the longest and toughest ones and bogeyed the easier ones!

3, 6 & 17 I really liked off the tee and then the approaches in. I'd play the Si1 totally different after walking it as it doesn't suit my shot shape and I was very close to the 16th tee box with my drive, a 5w to the bend would be my choice now followed by a good 4 iron otherwise I'm punching one low or chipping out from somewhere, nice hole but it suits a fader not a drawer :(

The 14th plays better off the yellow tee box. Personally think it is too much of a dogleg too early in the hole off the whites. The straight line is over the tallest tree, but you need to get the ball up very quickly. In the foursomes Open I play there, the white tee is always on the yellow tee box. Mind you it was one of the few holes I played well on the H4H day, with a nice cut three wood, on in two and two putts.:whistle:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

Fair enough. Though I guess you came off the 11th on the left hand side. Coming from the right, you can see there's no danger. You have to sort of know to look - as you do coming off 15 (it's knowledge of the green that's important there) onto 16.

It's certainly not the worst for blind shots. For me, that 'award' goes to Whitekirk where there's a blind shot on every non Par 3 on the front - and several more on the back! I always warned opponents in the works Matchplay comp. if I was at home - and they usually opted for Craigielaw anyway.

Cheifi0

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Great review Fish. West Hill is certainly up there with the best courses I have played. Going through the holes again from memory the layout certainly gets stronger. I think on future visits I will begin to rate it more and more. There was one tiny little gripe I had, and that is that the quality of the bunkers (which I was frequently in) could have been better. I found them to be a little in consistent. Otherwise a superb course.

S

Snelly

Swinger put one over the ditch at 16 about 40 yards short, but for most it is a lay up. it.:thup:

That's a cracking shot. I have never even considered it. I have always hit a 4 iron then an 8 iron or something like that. I am playing West Hill again on the 25th October and will certainly get the driver out and belt one, just to see what the result is.

Nice work Swinger. Boom...!

Thinking about it, with that kind of drive, the ditch on the 1st can probably be cleared too if playing from the yellow tee and in favourable conditions. No benefit here at all though.

However, the 5th is an interesting one. I have reached the green there several times in two but always gone with a 3 wood off the tee. A really, really good drive could get you past the heather over the hill with significant advantage gained as you would then be playing to the green with a 6-8 iron!

Food for thought..

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Great write up Robin on a truly lovely course. Tall pines, heather and fairways like lush carpet with true and reasonably fast greens - memorable. A course that rewards accurate thoughtful golf . When I walked up the steps and saw the panoramic view I just said WOW.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
West Hill has gone to the top of my ratings of the 3Ws - played Worplesdon last month and while still very good, the road crossing and a couple of weaker holes place it a notch below West Hill. Similar story with Woking. West Hill is also certainly the toughest - that is a tough track and the scoring on h4h did surprise me - there are a lot of long par 4s!

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
West Hill has gone to the top of my ratings of the 3Ws - played Worplesdon last month and while still very good, the road crossing and a couple of weaker holes place it a notch below West Hill. Similar story with Woking. West Hill is also certainly the toughest - that is a tough track and the scoring on h4h did surprise me - there are a lot of long par 4s!

Interesting; a friend of mine who is a very good player reckoned that West Hill was the weakest of those 3. I'll have to play the other 2 and draw my own conclusions.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I haven't played Worplesdon but have knocked it around Woking. Nice course, and "playable" for an old duffer.
Westhill, certainly off the whites, was a tough test for me. Very tough. 19 points tough (and that was with a 4 pointer on one hole!).
As nice as it is, I certainly wouldn't rush back to play it off the whites again. Not unless I wanted something to convince me that fishing is where my future lies....:mad: