West Hill (Surrey)

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I haven't played Worplesdon but have knocked it around Woking. Nice course, and "playable" for an old duffer.
Westhill, certainly off the whites, was a tough test for me. Very tough. 19 points tough (and that was with a 4 pointer on one hole!).
As nice as it is, I certainly wouldn't rush back to play it off the whites again. Not unless I wanted something to convince me that fishing is where my future lies....:mad:

Pea shooter.:ears: Seem to remember you birdied the 3rd, the longest par four on the course.;)

rickg

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think this is a timely reminder for everyone that played the HFH day that Rich managed to secure this course PLUS a coffee and bacon roll PLUS a 2 course carvery.......PLUS the prizes on offer for the measly sum of just £45........I think that's just amazing and I'd like to acknowledge Rich's efforts in getting that deal......truly remarkable......well done mate... :thup:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think this is a timely reminder for everyone that played the HFH day that Rich managed to secure this course PLUS a coffee and bacon roll PLUS a 2 course carvery.......PLUS the prizes on offer for the measly sum of just £45........I think that's just amazing and I'd like to acknowledge Rich's efforts in getting that deal......truly remarkable......well done mate... :thup:

Well said but also a big thumbs up to West Hill for making it so cheap and affordable

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Well said but also a big thumbs up to West Hill for making it so cheap and affordable
Not often I agree with you Martin, but I do on this occasion regarding West Hill.:thup:

I hope if anyone is thinking of playing or even joining a Club around the Woking area, they put West Hill at the top of their list.

Fingers crossed for next year Rick.

D

Deleted Member 1156

West Hill is the best of the 3 W's.

Fact

End of

Jog on

:D

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
S

Snelly

West Hill is the best of the 3 W's.

Fact

:D

I think West Hill is the best too. Best course and best club.

Interested to read Smiffy's thoughts on playing off the whites. I completely understand where he is coming from although I much prefer it off the white tees and I think it really changes the course into a tough track, more so than at most courses I would say. I have played off the yellows several times and it isn't as good a test as an iron can be used off the tees of nearly all the par 4's comfortably.

Hankley is the same. Pretty simple off the front tees but off the championship blocks, very difficult. The 3rd hole is the best example with the purple tees being 100 yards behind the yellow!

And don't mention Bearwood Lakes. The extreme back tees there are for masochists only....

Last edited:
S

Snelly

It would appear that Mssrs Harris, Ellwood & Co disagree;

http://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/cours...lf-monthly-top-100-course-rankings-1-100.html

West Hill 80
Woking 85
Worplesdon 73

:eek: :ears: :D

That said, with Rye at a lowly 76 and below the Royal North Sheep Droppings, can we trust their judgement? :whistle:

I wish you hadn't posted that link! There are loads that I would move in that list but that is the thing, they are purely subjective even when a scoring model is used rigorously as it is someone's personal opinion.

I need to resist further comment....

Damn it! I can't! :) Sunningdale Old should be higher than Sunningdale New!!! :) RCD should be number 1! :) Must stop......

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
We didn't seem to play it at it's full length. There were a number of tees that were either up on the whites or even further forward on a yellow tee.
Perhaps 4 holes where driver is really needed.

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
I always remember that WH always fell behind the other 2 in many course rankings

WH went through a period circa 10 (maybe more?) years ago, when they did a LOT of work on the course, took a lot of trees out and did a lot of drainage work and during that period the course quality suffered a lot

I think in its current condition it is back to its best.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Group picture if anyone hasn't seen it yet in this months publication.

Thanks to Nick for sending it to me.

West Hill.jpg

JCW

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Good review mate , let me know when you going to play it again as I like to play it too , early this year there was a meet there but I choose to play your meet at Tadmarton , that was one cold day and I hit a good drive down the 1st , little pitch onto the green which was frozen , hope any meets we have early next year are dry but not freezing ......................................EYG