West Hill Golf Club

S

Snelly

Always excellent[apart from] that's a contradiction Gordon.

Last years HFH day was my 2nd worse day on a golf course ever they treated 80+ golfers with content treating the greens the morning of our big day.

The course was soaking wet as well and was not draining well,I know they were doing maintenance whilst we were there so hopefully it has improved.

IMO the best time to play this course is in the summer when the gorse and bracken is in bloom I for one would never play this course in the winter again.

I think you were unlucky and the club was guilty of miscommunication at best.

I have played West Hill many times, plenty of times in Winter too and it has always been first class.

D

Deleted member 15344

I have played West Hill many times, plenty of times in Winter too and it has always been first class.

It was in great nick a couple weeks after the H4H when the Mariners went there. Greens were imaculate. It was just poor communication in regards the green work for H4H - thought the course itself stood up well considering the amount of water and traffic on it.

D

Deleted member 15344

heard Woburn was pants!! I reckon any inland course would have struggled this year, it was OK in the snow in Jan, but that was after a dry ish winter a few years ago.

The Marquess was in poor nick - needs a good month rest and drainage looked at but that's been known for years there.

The Duchess was lovely and stood up well to the rain on Monday , the extra downpour on Tuesday didn't help.

The Dukes is in top condition right now

D

Deleted member 1147

The Marquess was in poor nick - needs a good month rest and drainage looked at but that's been known for years there.

The Duchess was lovely and stood up well to the rain on Monday , the extra downpour on Tuesday didn't help.

I would say that the fairways & greens were in decent nick on the Marquess, but there were a lot of bare patches in the rough, and, understandably, it was very boggy in patches (thought I may lose a shoe at times). I'm sure several balls were lost from burying into the ground on impact.

The Duchess was in great nick, again boggy in places due to the amount of rain, not just on Monday, but all winter. The greens held up well in the rain, until it started to settle and puddle up on the surfaces.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site

I've no issue with the place, never been. Fish told me it was rubbish ;)

D

Deleted member 15344

I've no issue with the place, never been. Fish told me it was rubbish ;)
It appears the course has spat him up a little

It was a very tough scoring day - especially the morningn

rickg

Money List Winner
Visit site

Agree Dave, HFH day was absolutely pelting it down non stop all day, but even so I didn't think it was that bad, apart from the greens they just tined that morning.....( still makes me angry that!)
All the other times I've played it, it's been an absolute joy, one of the best courses in the area.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I didn't think it was that bad, apart from the greens they just tined that morning.....( still makes me angry that!)

I would have been spitting blood Rick. Possibly one of the biggest days they had held there all year and they go and do that.
I've also played there a few times (other than H4H in 2013) and always found it to be in perfect condition.
I cannot believe that they got it so wrong.

The Marquess was tough on Tuesday. You had to pick the ball up so cleanly, and that isn't in my repertoire...:mad:
I was so concerned with hitting it fat, I ended up thinning nearly all of my iron shots.
Around the greens it was a bit of a lottery, I don't think I found one decent bit of grass to chip off of all day.
Always seemed to be in a muddy depression or on a wet bare lie which again is not conducive to picking the ball up cleanly and playing the shot that you wanted to play.
There is a reason why I hate winter golf.....

irip

Head Pro
Visit site
So after asking all you guys for your views on west hill i thought i should let you know how we got on.

We set off in the sunshine Sunday afternoon with all seven of us arriving at 14 30 for our 15 00 start.

Only to be told we was not playing West Hill, our captain checked his sheet and we was meant to be at Worplesdon Golf club:eek:.

So a short drive around the corner and all was good

We lost the match 4-3, with me losing my match on the last with my opponent holing a 12 foot par putt for the win on the last.

Thanks for all your replies even if they were for the wrong course. :(

D

Deleted member 1147

So after asking all you guys for your views on west hill i thought i should let you know how we got on.

We set off in the sunshine Sunday afternoon with all seven of us arriving at 14 30 for our 15 00 start.

Only to be told we was not playing West Hill, our captain checked his sheet and we was meant to be at Worplesdon Golf club:eek:.

We lost the match 4-3, with me losing my match on the last with my opponent holing a 12 foot par putt for the win on the last.

So how was Worplesdon?

irip

Head Pro
Visit site
So how was Worplesdon?

It is a really nice course, good mix of holes typical heathland style course in the main.

The fairways were a little wet which is only to be expected and winter rules were still on.

The greens were superb very quick with lots of subtle breaks

anyone thinking of playing it should go for it they wont regret it.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thats pretty funny Irip! 6 pages of debate on how good/bad, long/short, wet/dry the course is and you didnt even play it! LOL thats made my morning!

You should try and get a game at west hill, i for one love it there!

irip

Head Pro
Visit site
Thats pretty funny Irip! 6 pages of debate on how good/bad, long/short, wet/dry the course is and you didnt even play it! LOL thats made my morning!

You should try and get a game at west hill, i for one love it there!
As you would expect the captain did get a fair bit of stick, lucky it was round the corner
I did think of all you guys and all the wonderful advice.

We have a friendly there in 3 weeks so i will eventually get to play it so dont worry you advice is not wasted:thup:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

That's hilarious. Not a bad alternative by a long way but I prefer West Hill and you need to get a game booked there at some point