West Hill Golf Club

D

Deleted member 15344

Think it's a cracking course with no weak holes but very playable for all - lovely lunch after as well , a fav of mine

D

Deleted member 17920

It's a lovely course, apart from one hole. The par 5 5th hole has a band of heather which crosses the fairway on the far side of the hill. If you know it's there you can try to avoid it, but if it's your first time playing the course, then beware. When I played it for the first (and only) time at last year's H4H, I hit what I thought was a cracking second shot on this hole, but never found the ball. Really frustrating. There's really no need to have heather right across the fairway on a blind shot.

As I said, though, lovely course and I will definitely go back for another crack.
Lovely course apart from the one hole you didn't look at the course guide and ended up in trouble :whistle:

S

Snelly

Lovely course apart from the one hole you didn't look at the course guide and ended up in trouble :whistle:

Indeed.

In fact, that hole is an excellent one with a fantastic second shot chance to hit a small target, surrounded by bunkers. You just need a bit of local knowledge.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Indeed.

In fact, that hole is an excellent one with a fantastic second shot chance to hit a small target, surrounded by bunkers. You just need a bit of local knowledge.

Teeing off from the 6th on a shotgun start gives you a nice early walk through on the 5th. It's the thinking mans starting hole!

D

Deleted Member 1156

Thanks Guys

So basically the holes are long or short, the greens are excellent unless they are bumpy, aim for the green and not the trees on the par 3s, and try to miss the heather on my first or second shot.

Right got all that.:)

To be serious thanks for all your replies.

Did we mention the hidden streams you can't see on the 1st and 2nd holes? :whistle:

D

Deleted Member 1156

I think someone mentioned it on the first, but said its only in play for a good drive

So plan is to hit an awful drive on the first and ill be fine.;)

You really have got this game cracked :D

#topcoursemanagement :thup:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Dead doddle of a course!

Well, I absolutely love it - not when it's slashing down and the greens have been spiked though

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks Guys

So basically the holes are long or short, the greens are excellent unless they are bumpy, aim for the green and not the trees on the par 3s, and try to miss the heather on my first or second shot.

Right got all that.:)

To be serious thanks for all your replies.

Lol, yes that about sums it up!

Also beware of rooter firing shots at you from adjacent holes.... :D

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Lol, yes that about sums it up!

Also beware of rooter firing shots at you from adjacent holes.... :D

I did warn you i was playing my shot! We just didn't expect it to ricochet off of two trees and head toward you at 70mph! I thought trees were 90% Air? how come i always hit the solid bits?

It was a cracking 5 iron punch though, just half a foot off line.. Ask Mendie! I think he stopped laughing at me by the time you got to your next green.. And lets not mention me wrapping my own wedge around my shin on the next hole while trying to play out of heather 2ft above my feet on the side of a bank! (that hurt more than i let on!)

irip

Head Pro
Visit site
I am not sure whether you guys are talking about the h4h day or describing scenes from a carry on golfing film.

But you all make the course sound amazing. I cant wait:eek:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I am not sure whether you guys are talking about the h4h day or describing scenes from a carry on golfing film.

But you all make the course sound amazing. I cant wait:eek:

H4H and Carry On tend to sometimes be one in the same at times. Especially with my game. Of course the effects of the legendary curry night the evening before also takes it's toil, usually around the 11th or 12th

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
I did warn you i was playing my shot! We just didn't expect it to ricochet off of two trees and head toward you at 70mph! I thought trees were 90% Air? how come i always hit the solid bits?

It was a cracking 5 iron punch though, just half a foot off line.. Ask Mendie! I think he stopped laughing at me by the time you got to your next green.. And lets not mention me wrapping my own wedge around my shin on the next hole while trying to play out of heather 2ft above my feet on the side of a bank! (that hurt more than i let on!)

Mate, your ball speed is never 70mph! 50 maybe? 😂

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Slightly confused by this if I'm honest. I've played WH many times over the years, in fact it is one of my favourite courses. Greens have always been excellent when I've played at all times of the year. I know they were awful for the H4H day last year but that was down to required maintenence at the end of the season.

Typical heathland course, some open holes and some very tight ones. Not long, mixture of flattish and undulating greens. All in all, it is a fantastic place to play golf.

Always excellent[apart from] that's a contradiction Gordon.

Last years HFH day was my 2nd worse day on a golf course ever they treated 80+ golfers with content treating the greens the morning of our big day.

The course was soaking wet as well and was not draining well,I know they were doing maintenance whilst we were there so hopefully it has improved.

IMO the best time to play this course is in the summer when the gorse and bracken is in bloom I for one would never play this course in the winter again.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
it's a top notch, all year round course. we played it in the snow & it was in great nick.

Working on the greens, or otherwise on any given day, isn't a reflection on the course, it's more one of organization/communication

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
it's a top notch, all year round course. we played it in the snow & it was in great nick.

Working on the greens, or otherwise on any given day, isn't a reflection on the course, it's more one of organization/communication

I would have to disagree mate it was extremely wet when we played it regardless of the work on the greens hence the extensive drainage work that was being carried out.
Just because courses have a reputation for being top notch doesn't mean when the weather gets extreme they don't suffer.
Look at Woburn this week a top course suffering when the heavy rain hit and was far from being in good condition before it came.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would have to disagree mate it was extremely wet when we played it regardless of the work on the greens hence the extensive drainage work that was being carried out.
Just because courses have a reputation for being top notch doesn't mean when the weather gets extreme they don't suffer.
Look at Woburn this week a top course suffering when the heavy rain hit and was far from being in good condition before it came.

heard Woburn was pants!! I reckon any inland course would have struggled this year, it was OK in the snow in Jan, but that was after a dry ish winter a few years ago.