West Hill Golf Club

irip

Head Pro
Visit site
I have an inter club match (surrey sevens) against west hill away this weekend.

I have never played the course so looking for general advice.

Anyone played there recently or a member there with any inside tips.

Many thanks.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
There's a par 3, not sure which hole as we played a shotgun start, that has a big tree behind the green. Make sure your laser gives you the yardage to the pin and not the tree! :eek:

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Definately not a course for playing out of the rough. Don't need to be too long off the tee but must stay in play. First is a good example - too long and you are in the rough and either left or right and you are blocked out.

If it's been et the greens can get pretty bumpy.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
There's a par 3, not sure which hole as we played a shotgun start, that has a big tree behind the green. Make sure your laser gives you the yardage to the pin and not the tree! :eek:

Haha... If it's the one I think you mean, my ball landed just beyond tree high in the gardens.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Definately not a course for playing out of the rough. Don't need to be too long off the tee but must stay in play. First is a good example - too long and you are in the rough and either left or right and you are blocked out.

I played West Hill in a Surrey 5's match last year. As above, the rough there is pretty penal with the heather. On most holes just plot your way round. If you do end up in the heath don't be a hero, take a wedge and just try and get it back onto the short stuff!!

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Haha... If it's the one I think you mean, my ball landed just beyond tree high in the gardens.

Yes I had only just treated myself to a laser and it did seem a lot of club but I went with it anyway. Beautiful shot too, right over the pin, right over the green.....

Mike07

Head Pro
Visit site
beautiful heathland Surrey course. Real mix of holes and not chance to spray the ball around. Keep it in the short stuff.

First hole, there is a ditch which can't be seen from the tees. I went straight in!!

D

Deleted Member 1156

Slightly confused by this if I'm honest. I've played WH many times over the years, in fact it is one of my favourite courses. Greens have always been excellent when I've played at all times of the year. I know they were awful for the H4H day last year but that was down to required maintenence at the end of the season.

Typical heathland course, some open holes and some very tight ones. Not long, mixture of flattish and undulating greens. All in all, it is a fantastic place to play golf.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
lovely course

Not sure I agree with the "not long" comments. There are only 2 par 5s but several very demanding par 4s - such as 3, 6, 10, 11, 14 and 18 - I would bet there are not many people who get on those 6 in regulation in a round!

D

Deleted Member 1156

lovely course

Not sure I agree with the "not long" comments. There are only 2 par 5s but several very demanding par 4s - such as 3, 6, 10, 11, 14 and 18 - I would bet there are not many people who get on those 6 in regulation in a round!

Speak for yourself shortarse :rofl:

S

Snelly

Typical heathland course, some open holes and some very tight ones. Not long, mixture of flattish and undulating greens. All in all, it is a fantastic place to play golf.

A good summary that I agree with.

Greens have been superb ever time I have played West Hill....

One additional observation - if you play off the back tees, it makes a very big difference. Short off the yellows thought - I once won an event there and hit a three iron of nearly every par 4 tee. Not feasible off the tips though as it is a very different (and difficult) proposition.

Lastly, usually very good food and a decent wine list.

Some excellent pointers from the 1920's on slow play when you queue for your lunch too! :)

PuttPuttSteve

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It's a lovely course, apart from one hole. The par 5 5th hole has a band of heather which crosses the fairway on the far side of the hill. If you know it's there you can try to avoid it, but if it's your first time playing the course, then beware. When I played it for the first (and only) time at last year's H4H, I hit what I thought was a cracking second shot on this hole, but never found the ball. Really frustrating. There's really no need to have heather right across the fairway on a blind shot.

As I said, though, lovely course and I will definitely go back for another crack.

D

Deleted Member 1156

It's a lovely course, apart from one hole. The par 5 5th hole has a band of heather which crosses the fairway on the far side of the hill. If you know it's there you can try to avoid it, but if it's your first time playing the course, then beware. When I played it for the first (and only) time at last year's H4H, I hit what I thought was a cracking second shot on this hole, but never found the ball. Really frustrating. There's really no need to have heather right across the fairway on a blind shot.

As I said, though, lovely course and I will definitely go back for another crack.

You didn't clear it with your 2nd shot??? :rofl:

irip

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks Guys

So basically the holes are long or short, the greens are excellent unless they are bumpy, aim for the green and not the trees on the par 3s, and try to miss the heather on my first or second shot.

Right got all that.:)

To be serious thanks for all your replies.

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks Guys

So basically the holes are long or short, the greens are excellent unless they are bumpy, aim for the green and not the trees on the par 3s, and try to miss the heather on my first or second shot.

:rofl: That's brilliant.

Typical of here- everyone has an opinion, and will use it!

Enjoy your game.