Went for a fitting yesterday and the driver I now 'game' is.....

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
My existing Mizuno MX700.......

Turned up for the fitting and fitter said to hit my current driver to get a benchmark. Normally I need to warm up with irons before being able to hit a driver anywhere near properly, but first shot I hit, boom 230 yard carry and roll out to something like 265. I didn't want to tell him that this was possibly the furthest I'd ever hit a driver without assistance from strong tail winds/roll on hard ground.

Anyway hit 4 more which were all very decent for me, very uncharacteristically decent in fact. As I am a lefty there was not a huge choice, but first I tries the G30, which I had my heart set on as I've recently got G30 irons and they are great. But I don't know what it was but I just could not get it in the air for the 1st couple of shots. So then I suspect this started playing on my mind so I went back to my bad habits of duck hooking, too many swing thoughts etc etc. So then I tries the AeroBurner, same thing. R15, same, SLDR, same, G25, same Titliest 915 same. I've had bounces on the green on putts that have got further off the ground then some of the shots I hit with these new drivers. By this stage my swing had kind of collapsed on me so he said try my MX700 again, and of course I managed to hit it quite well and airborne.

So at the end it was pretty obvious that my current one was the best for me and the money would be better spent on lessons (who knew ;)), which to be fair to the fitter, he said straight away. I then booked some more lessons and he said that if we want he can do a fitting at any time when my swing has been sorted out a bit more.

No real logical explanation why I could hit the MX700 but not the others with all their modern tech, but I suspect confidence plays a bigger part for me than I realised.

SVB

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I had a similar situation with my putter a while back - put it on the 'naughty step' and had a test with some other possibles. Would you be surprised to know the old one started behaving again to keep it's place in the bag?!

A well timed and very visible threat every now and again seem necessary to keep the 'team' performing!!

Simon.

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
Quite surprised that out of all those choices he couldn't find a single head and shaft combo that you could hit. I assume it was just a selection of standard components rather optimising the head/shafts to suit you.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
also a leftie, and have a large range of drivers in the shed.....

I just take them all out from time to time to check I have the right one in the bag :)

there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that how I get on with a driver (or other club) from time to time is far more relevant than how 'good' it is.

it's probably also true to say that after 3 shots on a launch monitor my swing fundamentally falls apart as I try to get more clubhead speed/increase the launch angle/etc etc etc (same thing happens on the course when I start out well too....)

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Quite surprised that out of all those choices he couldn't find a single head and shaft combo that you could hit. I assume it was just a selection of standard components rather optimising the head/shafts to suit you.

My game is like the French rugby team, you have no idea what will turn up. When it's bad it's very bad and it then just messes with my head. Which it did when I was hitting the G30 etc. It was purely a technical issue for me I think in my head, nothing to do with the drivers.

The chap fitting me said he could give me some advice and sort of stop me being so bad. But he said he's wanted to fit me using the same swing and take his time, which is fair enough. Actually quite refreshing as I am sure there are plenty of other fitters or companies that would give me a quick tip, hey presto, the driver I try next goes in the air and they then try and sell it to me.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
My game is like the French rugby team, you have no idea what will turn up. When it's bad it's very bad and it then just messes with my head. Which it did when I was hitting the G30 etc. It was purely a technical issue for me I think in my head, nothing to do with the drivers.

The chap fitting me said he could give me some advice and sort of stop me being so bad. But he said he's wanted to fit me using the same swing and take his time, which is fair enough. Actually quite refreshing as I am sure there are plenty of other fitters or companies that would give me a quick tip, hey presto, the driver I try next goes in the air and they then try and sell it to me.

That's precisely the way a proper fitter should work!

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
whats the loft and shaft details of your MX700?

Did you try comparable with the new tech?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Try keeping your head behind the ball through impact. The duck hooks are probably due to you getting forward and spinning out.

This may help:

[video=youtube;1OTuoAdHIZ8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OTuoAdHIZ8[/video]

Last edited: