Well, If you can't beat 'em....

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Some seriously sexy irons but as home slice said , what makes them more desirable than main stream brands

Easy - they'e Awesome!!

Seriously though, it's the personal touch (Oo er)and knowledge of Alex, the no nonsense approach, the facilities they have, the quality of the products, value, service, no pressure to buy, products not constantly being updated - RS heads are unchanged for over 2 years with no change due etc etc

I was at my iron fitting for over an hour and a half and at no time did I fell pressured into buying, if I hadn't wanted to I could have walked away
To quote Alex - Tonight I want to you go away having learnt something. If you buy something - Great. But I want to to have been educated.

I was.

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
Which I get totally, but taking yourself as an example, was it solely this that made you choose this brand

Pretty much although I have listened to GB72 bleat on about them long enough ;) and always thought they looked fantastic on the website, spoke to Alex from orka got a great deal which suited me and away I went. I had never held or even seen one prior to this. The non mainstream aspect of appealed to me greatly and was certainly a huge factor in my descision.

jimbob.someroo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We are sworn to secrecy regarding pricing but I can tell you that there's no way on Earth I'd pay £1k for a set of Irons!!:thup:

Many thanks! Was looking around the website and they talk about trying to give 'normal' people that unique experience which you lot all have talked about at a reasonable price. Looks like a top company!

Imurg

Visit site
Looking at the direction many of the Mainstream brands are heading in makes a brand like Orka attractive for me.
I don't want to be told, 6 months after I've bought a set of clubs, that the new ones that have just come out will go 20 yards further.
I don't want a club to effectively be obselete before it's been used.
My old Razr X Tours are being listed on the Callaway site in the Classic Clubs section - a 2 year old club is already a Classic?
They were bought through an online shop and had been made 1 degree flat. Bearing in mind these are Callaways and are cast in possibly the strongest material known to the Universe, most of the lie angles were well out - some upright, some flatter. And the lofts weren't much better.

Imurg

Visit site
Everything's done by hand in a small workshop - one Guy puts the whole club together then checkslofts/lie etc.
I have small marks on the clubs where they've been put on the loft/lie machine.
The 9 iron came with a sticker on it saying 42.25 degrees loft....

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Everything's done by hand in a small workshop - one Guy puts the whole club together then checkslofts/lie etc.

Sensible lofts

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
A proper custom fitting session with no time constraints and no pressure to buy by an experienced ex pro who also has club building experience. A decent selection of components from clubhead through shafts and grips which are all then assembled to a high standard, an aftersales service to double check everything is correct and check that the gaps are all ok, a follow up further down the line to check the lies and lofts are still ok (theres a fair chance forged clubs move in the first season). All their spend goes into the components and the club build, not into marketing and advertising budgets, payments to pros etc ultimately ending in a great value product and a service level above anything I believe you will ever receive from one of the "well known" brands. Thats my experience anyhow and like all the others who have gone this route I couldn't be happier personally, if you feel you will get that or better from the "mainstream" brands then go for it

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site

This for me, is the bonus of buying non mainstream, or visiting an independent fitter
Better quality build, more attention to detail
And components (heads) are (often) of better quality

I can tell u this, the KZG irons I bought, and was fitted for, last summer, are the best irons I've ever owned, and I can tell u I've owned a quite a few sets in my short playing time, great feel, buttery soft forged heads

On a visit to see MGL a few weeks ago, was building a wedge, whilst waiting, I had bit mess about with some of his demo Wishon iron heads, and I can honestly say, was mightily impressed, top class irons they are, recommend anybody considering new irons to give these a hit

The Orka gear is in same group

The price u are paying isn't lining some PGA professionals pockets and their lucrative contracts

Imurg

Visit site
I tried their NH9 Pro - made by KBS I think - like a rifle shaft
Also tried TTDG and I think PX too.
Only in irons - could tell you about woods....

M

MetalMickie

Orka RS standard loft for the PW is 48 - when was the last time you saw one of those...?

My Srixon Z-TX 2.

Their lofts on the short irons are quite weak at 8 iron = 38, 9 iron = 43 & PW = 48. These are standard manufacturer's lofts not custom fit.

Reduces the need for too many wedges which would only confuse me!

scratch

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'll spill the beans....

My PS9 blades 3-PW with KBS shafts were £540 including the fitting session

Total VFM :thup: