weight distribution with wedges

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've been struggling with thinning my wedges now and again. I know I sometimes have a problem with swaying a bit and have been shown videos of this.

To combat it I have been putting a fair bit more weight on my left at address on full and half shots to keep me stable (I'd say 70/30) the upside is it does help stop the thinning... the downside I feel I lose a little bit of power with less weight transfer from trail to lead foot.

Is this something I just need to work on or do most people do this? I thin longer irons less but still the odd time- is it something I should maybe do with all my irons?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I would have thought having your weight more toward your lead side would cause more of a duff than a thin?

If your only using it for wedges, you don't really need to worry about hitting them hard. They are designed for accuracy as opposed to distance.

If the contact and accuracy is there, I wouldn't be too concerned about the power.

UlyssesSky

Head Pro
Visit site
If a slight loss of power is the only downside of pre-setting the weight on the lead side, I'd say keep doing it.

My pro also had my favor my left foot (I'm right handed) at adress to improve my strike with my wedges, and my problem was that my hole swing would become too 'armsy' at times which led to very unpleasent results... (fore right!)

Regarding the long irons - I wouldn't recommend fighting your thins by favoring your lead foot at adress. While this can be a valid solution with your wedges, especially on less than full shots, the full swing with your longer irons depends on the weight shift and hip turn in the downswing to generate power. You may not only use power but ruin the swing for your woods as well if you (involuntarily) train your body to rotate more around the lead leg instead of shifting your weight from the trail side to the lead side in the downswing...

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
If your only using it for wedges, you don't really need to worry about hitting them hard. They are designed for accuracy as opposed to distance.

If the contact and accuracy is there, I wouldn't be too concerned about the power.

Agree with this. Learning to hit a 9 iron 100 yards is an important skill. Whatever gets it on the green.