Wedges

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not really. I just take a bucket of balls to the practice ground and play about. No pressre on shooting at flags but learning how to play different shots and what I can and can't do. Its fun.

Of course it is good to have a stock shot and I agree you need to know your distances. What Im talking about is more akin to what I use to do as a kid and just play and see what happens. If I shank one, why did it happen? How quickly does a lower PW stop. How high can I get an open 52. It doesn't get technical and above all develops feel which even if you do opt for stock shots will only be beneficial. Like I say, bucket of balls, no wrong way of doing it and have fun

D

Deleted member 3432

I agree with that, it can only help develop your short game but not everyone has the time or inclination to put that practice time in.

Also a good way to help you recognise your limitations and help your course management of potential danger shots (ie, red or green light for going at a tight pin)

For the guys who don't put the time in or don't have a natural short game feel then they need to keep it simple and don't waste shots trying to be too clever playing a shot they saw Rory play on TV the other day!

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
surely its all about the type of shot being played as much if not more than the actual distance, its ok knowing you hit a club 60 yards but what if 60 yards puts it near the pin but at the top of a big downslope or the greens are bone hard. Surely its more about seeing the shot required and picking accordingly! Granted as handicap golfers we probably only pull it off 6 out of 10 maybe less/more ability allowing.

I dropped any after market wedges a while back and practised with my g10 gw and sw and actually done ok, occasionally I missed having a proper lob wedge but overall it was probably 1 or 2 shots a round.

Now I miss having a 3/4 hybrid more than a LW as the 2h is a bit more difficult to control.

Horses for courses though :)

oh then I had a few beers and changed my full set completely ;)

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
+
i agree. i have spent hours on my own around greens playing every kind of shot i can think of. i enjoy the freedom a load of wedges allows me.

my home course is very hilly so just having the club distance isnt going to work. i have had to develop a feel for the short game! each to his own.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I agree not everyone has the time but surely if you are going to get that 2nd bucket at the range or have 30 left in a 100 ball bucket then start playing. Yes its not ideal off a range mat in terms of impact but even if you just play with ball position it is cash in the bank in terms of understanding what you can do

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
i find chipping and short game practice in general absolutly pointless at the range under 100 yards. i feel its a waste of balls.

in the summer i like to find a nice quiet corner of the course to work on the short game.

since i have played most weekends on my own over winter i have stopped putting altogether as i dont trust the greens, i prefer to knock at least two approach irons. then if there is time i like to play a few chips rather than waste my time putting on frozen/soaked greens.

last year after some heavy rain, the owner of the course shouted over the fence to me on the 17th green, " what are you doing? "

i shouted back "practising my bump and runs" to which he shouts " the course is closed "

red face and 500 yard walk back to the car !

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I want to maintain 4 deg difference between my wedges. My PW is 48 so I have a 52, 56 and 60. I tend to take the 60 out in the winter when it's wet and mucky and put a 4 hybrid in the bag.

My Mizuno wedges have clever grinds that help to open the face and expose the bounce, this makes them very versatile tools. My home course has very long narrow greens with lots of bunkers along their sides, you need to use wedges well on this course.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I want to maintain 4 deg difference between my wedges. My PW is 48 so I have a 52, 56 and 60. I tend to take the 60 out in the winter when it's wet and mucky and put a 4 hybrid in the bag.

My Mizuno wedges have clever grinds that help to open the face and expose the bounce, this makes them very versatile tools. My home course has very long narrow greens with lots of bunkers along their sides, you need to use wedges well on this course.

Can I ask Brian.

When you drop the 60* over the softer months, how do you float one up in the way you usualy would with the 60*?

MGL

Challenge Tour Pro
www.mygolf.me
Can I ask Brian.

When you drop the 60* over the softer months, how do you float one up in the way you usualy would with the 60*?

If the Mizzies he's referring to are like my Wishons, they have whats known as a 'zero bounce heel' whereby when they are opened up and you play across the ball - like trying to slide it under - it just pops up in the air. Its one of the reasons I don't need to carry anything above a 56*.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
If the Mizzies he's referring to are like my Wishons, they have whats known as a 'zero bounce heel' whereby when they are opened up and you play across the ball - like trying to slide it under - it just pops up in the air. Its one of the reasons I don't need to carry anything above a 56*.

I think you may have just made my point :thup:

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Can I ask Brian.

Gareth.

My 60 deg lob wedge has little bounce so works best on more firmer surfaces, it digs in too easily in wet soft conditions. In these conditions I use my 56 deg wedge to make a high flying, soft landing lob shot. The face opens easily due to the type of grind on the sole, this produces as much loft as you need. I can then use the bounce to slide the club under the ball and get that nice high flying shot.

I think most golfers fail to understand how the bounce on the club should be used correctly.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Gareth.

My 60 deg lob wedge has little bounce so works best on more firmer surfaces, it digs in too easily in wet soft conditions. In these conditions I use my 56 deg wedge to make a high flying, soft landing lob shot. The face opens easily due to the type of grind on the sole, this produces as much loft as you need. I can then use the bounce to slide the club under the ball and get that nice high flying shot.

I think most golfers fail to understand how the bounce on the club should be used correctly.

I figured as much Brian when you said you took it out for the winter.

I used to carry a 60 (10* bounce) all year round until I figured I could hit a 58* with more consistency and to play something a little higher all I have to do is open my stance and the face.

As I say I have no issue people carrying a bag load of wedges, as you say, if they use them effectively good for them.