Wedges

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Guys, need some advice. Want to make some room in the bag, so have decided to sell my 3 burner 2.0 wedges (A,S,L) which are 50,55 and 60 degree. I want to replace with just 2 wedges... I was thinking a 52 and a 56. My pw is 45.. Do you guys think that's suitable gaps? Play mostly inland golf, I do like the lob wedge, so I keep toying with 54 and 58... But is the gap from pw too much?

Ps. Probably going to go for the TM ATV wedges..

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My tm cb to wedge is 47*, both my scoring wedges are 52 & 58.

Never felt like I'm missing anything with this set up, on a day where I bring a swing to the first tee my stock PW is good for 100-110, 52* about 90-105, and 58*to 85yards

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Another advocate of a 52/58 set-up.

I said on another thread yesterday, personally, I can't see the need for more wedges from inside my PW distance.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
I certainly would want to be going 45 to 54. That us a big gap, the extra wedges are needed because of the strong lofts as you stated 45 PW is almost a 9 iron back in the day.
Mine is 47 and I went to a lot of trouble tracking a 51 AW.

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
www.ecclestonparkgolf.co.uk
+1 on the 52/58 combination. However maybe look at getting fitted so the distances can be properly gapped for you and give you proper spacings. If you get properly fitted they can even tweak the loft lie etc to give you the best chance of good consistent results

Better to get assurance that you can confidently hit your clubs 130, 115, 100 (example). Then use which ever method to fill the gaps and reduce the distances depending on need. Also some of the other folk have said about 3/4 swing with scoring clubs to give more consistency, if you lose 5 yards but keep your dispersion tighter you'll save shots.

Whatever way you go measure the distances before spending your cash, you dont want big gaps within your set.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
47, 53 and 58 here though increasingly I find myself using the 53 more and more often as it is such a great wee club. It is a mizuno 53 Raw Haze wedge, love it!

El Bandito

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
2 wedges? I'm at the opposite end of the scale, trying to find room for FIVE. I find that gaps are important to me at the short end, but less so at the long end. Just taken ATVs out of my bag, although they are good wedges....

D

deanobillquay

2 wedges? I'm at the opposite end of the scale, trying to find room for FIVE. I find that gaps are important to me at the short end, but less so at the long end. Just taken ATVs out of my bag, although they are good wedges....

Thought I was bad with 4 wedges :)

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I just can't see why you would want or need 5 wedges, I've played with people as low as +3 who had been on tour in europe and even he only had 9i then 48/53/58 , 5 would just add to much confusion and options

Last time I saw that many wedges I was at nando's

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I just can't see why you would want or need 5 wedges, I've played with people as low as +3 who had been on tour in europe and even he only had 9i then 48/53/58 , 5 would just add to much confusion and options

Last time I saw that many wedges I was at nando's

Agree with this.

The way I see it is this. Say you carry 4 wedges as you hit them

1. 120
3. 95
4. 80

What club do you take when you're 115, 106 or 88 yards out?

And on that point. If you have your partial distances measured (1/2, 3/4 etc) it's just more numbers to remember and, as Oddsocks says, only adds to the confusion of the above.

I have no problem with people using 4+ wedges. It's there choice. If they feel it works for them great :thup: