NEWQUAYTR7

Hacker
Visit site
Just been working out the loft's on my wedges,
Ping G5 pw 46
Ping i wedge 52
titleist vokey 54
cheapo 60
My question do i need a 56 & if i do please enlighten me as to.
cheers

Up_Point_1

Head Pro
Visit site
NEWQUAYTR7 - Having a 52 and a 54 degree wedge together in your bag seems a little bit pointless to me.

Personally if I were you i’d ditch the 54 and get a 56 instead. You’d then have a good selection of wedges from 46 right through to 60 degrees at regular degree intervals.

DHM.

B

birdieman

It's not so much the loft as the bounce. If you have decent sand (light and soft) in your bunkers then you need a SW with plenty bounce to avoid digging in too deep. If the bunker sand is hard and packed however then a lower bounce is fine as you'll need to club to dig more.
Similarly if your fairways are very hard i.e. links, then you need other wedges with low bounce, if your fairways are mossy and soft then high bounce is perhaps better.
That aside an even spread of lofts is best so as not to waste clubs, I go 47,52,56 and 60.
If you need lots of woods and hybrids then you might have only 53 and 58 wedges. Gotta remember that short game is where the scoring happens so you want to be well armed with wedges.

B

birdieman

It's not so much the loft as the bounce. If you have decent sand (light and soft) in your bunkers then you need a SW with plenty bounce to avoid digging in too deep. If the bunker sand is hard and packed however then a lower bounce is fine as you'll need to club to dig more.
Similarly if your fairways are very hard i.e. links, then you need other wedges with low bounce, if your fairways are mossy and soft then high bounce is perhaps better.
That aside an even spread of lofts is best so as not to waste clubs, I go 47,52,56 and 60.
If you need lots of woods and hybrids then you might have only 53 and 58 wedges. Gotta remember that short game is where the scoring happens so you want to be well armed with wedges.

B

birdieman

Golfer2112

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Birdieman: apart from your "triple post stutter", that's some good advice.

I am struggling along with just a std wedge (48 deg) and a Sand Wedge (56deg) and will, when funds permit, get a 52 gap wedge and 60 deg lobber. I only carry 12 clubs at the moment to can accommodate an extra 2 wedges.

As for original poster's question, I would imagine that a regular 3 or 4 degree spacing between the wedges is sensible. A 2 degree gap doesn't seem enough.

DCB

Visit site
Read Dave Pelz book on the short game and it will make you think about matching your wedges to suit the type of course you play. Some good solid info in that book, well worth a read.

I favour a 56° with lots of bounce, good for sand or rough. I vary between a Titleist Vokey of 56° with 14° bounce and a TM 56° with 10° bounce. I also carry a 60° with 8°bounce. I'm on the look out for a 52° gap wedge. Last one passed on!

Good scoring clubs if you can use them consistently.

DB

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
I used to carry 4 wedges (47,52,56 & 60 degrees) but have found I now play better with 3 (47,54 & 60). Too much choice can lead to confusion and if you practice with 3 then you can judge distances with each better, I find.

The bounce is vital though. I play on tight Links turf and only have 4 degrees of bounce on my lob wedge. Anything more and I'm likely to skull everything through the green.

oasis90

Hacker
Visit site
As an experienced golfer, I was always taught that whether you have three or four wedges in your bag, to keep the same difference between each loft equal. For example... I play with a 48 degree PW, a 53 degree SW and a 58 degree LW.. a gap of 5 degress between each club.. In my opinion this is the safest way to ensure consistency in the distancing of your wedges...