Wedges

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
The key is to make sure the distances between your wedges are correct so you havnt got a big distance gap in between.Also the bounce is important and has to be right for the conditions you play,ie lower bounce for tight lies.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
52 gap, 56 sw and 60 lob, seems popular (what I have)
50 gap, 54 sw and 58 sw/lob also quite common.

As pokerjoke says it's best not to have big distance gaps between your wedges.

Might also depend on what your PW is. Can vary from 43 to 48 degrees depending on make and model. If you aren't sure you should be able to check the specs on the manufacturer's website. Once you know that you can work from there to decide what other lofts you need.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Also depends on how much room you have in the bag. If you carry 4wedges then you've got to lose a longer club. Depending on your ability you may opt for a pw then a 52, 58 wedge set-up. Then you jave room for a longer club.
Personally : I have 47 degree pw, 50,54 and 58 wedges. I find it gives me a good choice of club for every situation.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's not an easy choice, unless you go with 4.

I had my PW de-lofted and carry PW, 52/GW and 56/SW.

I'd love to carry a 60, but it's rarely needed.

I think the point (if I may be patronising) is to have a selection based on BOTH yardage and usefulness.

Personally, I use all 3 for a variety of shots but tend to use the mainly the Gap Wedge for just about everything 40-100 yards and save the sand for high shots.

The GW I have is only 8 degrees bounce and seems to work off most lies. I wouldn't try a 50 yarder off a tight lie with my SW for example (unless I had to!)

EaseNgrace

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I recently changed back from 4 wedges to 3, I had 47-52-56-60. I changed to 47-54-60 so that I could put my 3 iron back in the bag. I prefer it like this as it makes club selection easier and there still isn't a yardage i'm not comfortable with.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I usually carry PW (46 degree) 52 and 58 so that the gap is consistant. I dod drop a wood in the summer when it was running and went PW, 52, 56 and 60 but the 60 was costing more shots than it saved so ditched it. Depending on how wet the bunkers get this winter I might opt to go back the 56 and drop the 58

percy_layer

Challenge Tour Pro
www.davidord.com
I have a PW (bent to 48), 52, 56 and 60.
I have a 2 and 4 Mizuno Fli Hi and then 5 to PW MP68s.
I carry 4 wedges as they are a key strength to my game while my long irons are weak part of my game in comparison. I'm very comfortable playing any of my wedges from anywhere depending on the flight and spin i want from the shot.

It's interesting how wedges have changed over the years. 20 years ago it would usually be a 50 degree PW and a 56 degree SW. Now wedges are available is all lofts from 47 to 64 with different options on bounce angle, sole width, sole grind...etc

Split_Fairway

Assistant Pro
Visit site
i have the standard group of PW, 52, 56, 60. i usually only use the 60 for short chips or chips where a lot of loft is required. when pitching i like to keep the ball a bit lower so would normally use the PW for that. the 52 and 56 are only ever used for those medium-to-long chips (20-40 feet)

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I have P/W 52 and 58. My 52 and 58 both have 8 degree of bounce so can use from bunkers, and for chipping off our tight fairways. We have quite a few deep pot bunkers, which is main reason i got a 58 sandwedge.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Also depends on how much room you have in the bag. If you carry 4wedges then you've got to lose a longer club. Depending on your ability you may opt for a pw then a 52, 58 wedge set-up. Then you jave room for a longer club.
Personally : I have 47 degree pw, 50,54 and 58 wedges. I find it gives me a good choice of club for every situation.

As above I have my set wedge which is around 48* - used from 75 yards to 110, 52* vokey which is my life saver up to 75 yards and a tm 60* which is a 50 yard max but I also use this out of bunkers. Did carry a 56* for a while but didn't see the point as the 52 vokey is awesome, don't carry a stock set sand wedge as the 60 works in deep bunkers and opening or closing the 52 works well too. This why I get a hybrid option on the bag ;)

steve7

Head Pro
Visit site
thanks for all replies,much appreciated,found out pw is 45 degree and sand wedge 54 degrees.Thinking of 60 degree to complment these does this seem right ?Golf clubs are John Letters t9 +hybrid set from Direct Golf.Does any one recommend for a fairly new starter any other clubs/makes ?Ping /Nike have been mentioned.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
a 60 is a weird club, its a club you use only once of twice at most in a round, sometimes i can go 3/4 rounds without even using it. Your always more prone to thinning a 60* and launching it through the green, so for me its eityher greenside deep bunkers, big lop recoveries or off very precise lies were there is just enough grass under the ball for thinning not to be an issue. Unfortunately ive formed a bond with my 52* that is unbreakable. but in hindsight id probally have Stock PW, 54* & 58*.

As someone else mentioned try and really look at bounce angles, i brought a brand new vokey 58* as i was going to drop the 60* for something i would use more, but the vokey had a 14* bounce angle and it made it so easy to thin it was scary. i like all my wedges with bounce angles of 4/8*

This link explains about bounce angles:

http://www.learnaboutgolf.com/equipment/wedge.html

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would echo what Oddsocks says. I too find the 60 only gets used occasionally but when I need it I'm glad I've got it. Useful for shots of 50-60 yds when I need to get to a flag and there isn't a lot of green. I prefer hitting my 60 degree full than trying to baby or open the face of my SW as that is less predicatable. Also useful for little shots just to flop over a bunker. Mine has quite a low bounce so I don't worry too much about thinning it. Have gone under a few when the ball is sitting up in the rough - equally embarrasing. No harm in getting one (plenty of good second hand ones on ebay)and seeing how you get on. In winter it usually comes out the bag so I can fit in a hybrid.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
fwiw, my PW is 45 deg, I picked up a pair of Hogan wedges, 49 & 54, which are nominally gap and sand but more often use the latest addition, a 60 bent to 58, from bunkers. around greens, it's evolving and latterly I'm more frequently using the PW.