wedges........

S

Snelly

Well it's typical. Just purchased a 56* vokey to match my 52* then this week I go out and use my 60* for two green side lob shots and put it within 6 foot now I'm posed with the question

Is standard pw, 52, 56, 60 wedges too much for the bag

Help

In my view, yes it is too much and I am surprised that any golfers carry 4 wedges. I appreciate that if you know your yardages then you can hit the right club but I would argue that 4 wedges gives you too much choice and leads to uncertainty. Which one to take?!

A pitching wedge, sand wedge and lob wedge give you everything you need at this end of the bag and practising with them so you can play a variety of shots is much better than having an extra one for a specific distance.

Another wedge just makes a simple game a little bit more complicated in my opinion.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Snelly, a valid point i agree.

My iron set is 4-PW (no sand iron), and from what people have said most standard s/irons are around 56*, (so thats the new wedge covered)

I too think that its gonna be a bit confusing carrying 3 specific wedges, i think some course and range time is gonna be needed to work out whats best to carry.

As I posted on one of the other threads, in my last round i had 2 shots where the 60 come into its own league, and i know i couldnt have played that shot with a 56, it was basically 15ft from the green over a bunker onto a hard fast green. the 60 has a low bounce angle so sites nice and just up and over and stop. sorted.

The 52* i have is an older vokey (i reckon 5-8 years although mint) the new 56* is a spin milled one, so im hoping with some time and practice, i can use the 56* more and drop the 52*, then some winter drop the 56* inplace of the 52 where the greens will stop up a bit quicker and not require as much loft. The only thing im unsure of is the 56* is a bounce angle 14, which is a bit high as i normally like mine with slightly less so the leading blade edge is tighter to the cut grass. ;)

I suppose realistically a 54/8 would be better and then drop the 52 & 56... ill see how i get on.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Talking of bounce, I was watching something with Mickelson in trying to show how to play flop shots.

His 60 deg lob wedge has 10 degrees of bounce, which is probably as much as a lot of amateurs sand wedges!

S

Snelly

If it helps, quite a few years ago I took a tip from John Daley's first golf instruction book when he said that he recommends using the same club for every shot around the green. He uses a 60 degree wedge for this. I have adopted this approach too.

You can flop it into the air, chop down on it to create a low shot with loads of spin or even hit a running shot. The thing is, if you use the same club all the time, you get very familiar with it and understand how the ball is going to react off the face in a broad range of situations. This rapidly builds confidence and your short game should improve.

This has worked for me anyway and I would (modestly!) say that I have a good short game.

I know that this is slightly off topic but I thought you may find it useful.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Region, if im honest i think the 56/14 may have to much bounce angle, ill see how i get on with itl.

Snelly, i can understand the process of this, although i thing for a club player mid capper a 60* for everything could well be too much, i see loads of people try play and range of shots with 58/60 wedges and the screw them up most of the time. Like you said with daley, i tend to use my 52 for pretty much everything for 50 yards in, with the 60* only being used for up and down 10 yard lob shots. so i totally agree with he's process