wedges........

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
In my current bag i have the below:

TM Burner Wedge (use this for 110-about 70 yards)
Vokey 52 (use this for about 65-70 down to fringe chips / Bunker Play)
TM Z TP 60* ( use this for hitting the wife as its pointless for anything else)

ok with the exception of the last bit im finding the TM 60* wedge is only any good for lobbing greenside bunkers if i miss a green other than that its pretty pointless. No matter how hard its used it does 50 yards top, i get no more spin compared with the vokey 52*, only bunkers i can use it in is rock hard sandless bunkers otherwise i just go underneath.
looking to replace this wedge which ius a shame because its been used about 10 times from new, any idea's on a good 2nd wedge for a 12/14 hc (i know it says 16 in my sig but im just about to be cut again)

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
56 sandwedge. That is what you are missing. Or, you could go 58 sandwedge. Personally, if you find the 60 hat bad (and they can be) I would get a standard 56 sandwedge, mid bounce. You can still open the face if you need to chuck it up more.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'd make sure the bounce angle on the 58 is at least 10 degrees.

Some people would class a 58 as a lob wedge, which would typically only have 4 to 6 degrees of bounce.

Only my opinion mind, but then I can't play bunker shots with a low bounce wedge, and a lot of people can.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
cheers region.

The 58* vokey i had my eye on went, so got to geep my eyes peeled for another. Im leaning towards a 56* if anything im wondering if a 58* is too close to the 60* which im struggling with.

it just seems a total waste to have a "once a round" club in the bag, and if im honest some times its not even that.

T

thecraw

It all depends how confident you are with your short game. A 56 can easily become a 58 or a 60 by opening up the face of the club.

Seve himself never used anything more lofted than a 56 degree sand iron. Rhys Davis who has been on fire this season doesn't carry anything above a 56 degree sand iron.

Find what your comfortable with and go from there. I'm sure that a couple of your playing partners or even your local professional will be able to give you a standard 56 degree wedge to try.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
my short game with my vokey 52* and putter is pretty bang on, my last 2 rounds playing off 16 have been 9 over and 13 over, so my game is pretty solid.

One of my mates has a TM 56* so i might have a few with that, i know whats going to happen though, ill take me 60* out and that will be the one game that i need it where not having it there costs me big time.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If leaving it out will cost you shots, even if it's only once per round then I'd say leave it in if you can't play those shots with another club.

I have a 60, and <u>only</u> use it when I need to get the ball up and down quickly around the green. I might only use it once every 2 rounds.

To me it's worth it because I lose confidence opening my SW up because it increases the bounce angle and makes thinning the ball 3 times as far as you want it to go more likely.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
see i dont have a sandwedge in my standard irons, but my 52* vokey just gives me that smile that i know gets it close, the only real shot i need the 60* for is up and over green side bunkers and mounds.

I think the key is maybe not taking it for the fancy shots, but just the practicals.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
see i dont have a sandwedge in my standard irons, but my 52* vokey just gives me that smile that i know gets it close, the only real shot i need the 60* for is up and over green side bunkers and mounds.

I think the key is maybe not taking it for the fancy shots, but just the practicals.

Bingo! :)

imo

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Well it's typical. Just purchased a 56* vokey to match my 52* then this week I go out and use my 60* for two green side lob shots and put it within 6 foot now I'm posed with the question

Is standard pw, 52, 56, 60 wedges too much for the bag

Help

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Whether it's too much or not is debatable, but that's what I have in the bag at the moment.

As long as it doesn't leave you short at the other end of the bag then why not.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Is standard pw, 52, 56, 60 wedges too much for the bag

I tend to go with this line up in the summer and drop either the 3 or 5 wood. As long as you can use the wedges well enough to justify their place (some people find the 60 a bit hit and miss) then I'd rather have more scoring options.

Nikki

Head Pro
Visit site
I don't think so, but you don't have to have the 60...

My pro says I'm an idiot and should just hit the ball straight and then I won't need lob shots... I said I don't need three wood... Still have got a three wood...

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I suppose it's bag management. This time of year I feel 3 ( 52, 56, 60) may be justified. I noticed the 52 was struggling for stoppage from certain distances where a 56 would have been better but the 60 definitely come into it's own league fir three or four shots which ended up pars, maybe in the winter I can drop one when greens are softer but this time of year I could probably look at my hybrid 3 and 7 wood and make a decision between the two in order to carry the other wedge