Wedges with lighter stock shafts?

slicer79

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Does anyone know what wedges have lighter stock shafts?

I use lightweight modus 105 shafts in irons so want to stick with consistent weight if possible, maybe 115 gram or less. Definitely not going up to around the 130 gram options that seem to come in most
Buying stock would eliminate having to wait for a custom order

I've searched a bit. Callaway jaws and ping glide are only ones I can see
Any other?

Last edited:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
The trend is for wedge shafts to be heavier than iron shafts, or similar at least.
So most wedges will have 115-130g shafts.
I think the 2 you mention may be the only lightish stock shafts.
Would have thought you could get others with the 105 fitted though...

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site

I use lightweight modus 105 shafts in irons so want to stick with consistent weight if possible, maybe 115 gram or less. Definitely not going up to around the 130 gram options that seem to come in most

Any other?

I’ve got the Ping Glide 3s. I’ve got them with the Ping graphite shafts which are much lighter than steel.

I used to like heavy stuff shafts in my wedges, but the lighter regular shafts have been a revelation. I can feel the club head much better.

MACM85

Visit site
When I was fitted at the Titleist perfomance centre for my wedges and irons they advised for me to have Stiff KBS Tour in the irons but standard Wedge flex in the wedges as the swing isn't as quick and you want to manipulate the wedges more than the irons.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have tried matching the wedge shaft to my irons (True Temper Dynamic Gold Lite) and changed the shaft back to regular Dynamic Gold as it did not work

Worth remembering that wedges are normally built to one or two more swingweights than the other irons as you are looking for control rather than distance.

Fabia999

Visit site
I have 3 SM7 with Tensei CK Series AMC IR Flex-A graphite shafts. I prefer this lighter shaft. I can swing it faster than a steel shaft therefore it goes further with better control, It's harder to buy a graphite shaft wedge, but I am a big fan.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
When I was fitted at the Titleist perfomance centre for my wedges and irons they advised for me to have Stiff KBS Tour in the irons but standard Wedge flex in the wedges as the swing isn't as quick and you want to manipulate the wedges more than the irons.

Can understand that, although this is all about flex, whereas the original post was asking about weight, which can be different irrespective of shaft flex.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I’ve got the Ping Glide 3s. I’ve got them with the Ping graphite shafts which are much lighter than steel.

I used to like heavy stuff shafts in my wedges, but the lighter regular shafts have been a revelation. I can feel the club head much better.

Can I ask where you got Ping glide 3s with the graphite shaft as I’ve been looking and can’t find any.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Can I ask where you got Ping glide 3s with the graphite shaft as I’ve been looking and can’t find any.

I was lucky and saw them on eBay. I bought them as a bit of an experiment. They were 3/4 inch short so needed lengthening.

I’m sure Ping could build something for you.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Any other?

Think I've got a glide forged 60* with a modus 105, if you're interested I'll have a look later.

evemccc

Visit site

Any other?

I could be mistaken but I have a feeling my 60 has a lightish shaft - it’s a Mizzy S5

For whatever reason I find it easier than my 54 and 50 to hit cleanly - the only thing I can think of is that I can ‘feel’ where the club head is…which surely is better than a more boardy/stouter heavier wedge shaft

This is counter to the industry prevailing norms, but it’s the only thing I can attribute to me being significantly better with the 60 > SW

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I've noticed that most wedges come with heavier shafts of late, all the vokey, mizuno and callaway wedges in my mates shop are all S400. They all used to be s200.