Stick with Graphite or...

jpjeffery

Assistant Pro
learnergolfer.wordpress.com
I tried out some clubs (well, the 8 irons) at my local American Golf store t'other week. All three were steel shafts. I also brought my graphite shaft Prosimmons 8 iron so I could compare the distance and direction dispersions.

The test clubs were Ping G20s, Callaway xHots and TaylorMade (I didn't note the model, but probably the RocketBallz)

I have to say all I noticed was that the distances and direction of the three test clubs had a tighter dispersion (i.e. more consistent and/or tolerant) but they weren't really travelling much further than my club nor were they offering THAT much greater accuracy.

The staff member who was helping me was not pushy, good on him, but did suggest (based on his observation of my "easy" swing) that I stick with graphite shafts because I would have to generate more speed with the heavier steel shafts in order to generate any extra distance those clubs should be capable of producing.

Is that a load of bolleaux? Based on the fact that graphite shafts are significantly more expensive I'd like to believe so (rather than any desire to prove the guy wrong!) Am I really going to have to use steel shafts for evermore?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
too many generalisations and I don't understand your conclusions?

graphite shafts can be made to do just about anything ie any weight, stiffness you want, so steel is heavier isn't anything other than a generalisation.

however, I'll also end with 2 generalisations! you should play the shafts that suit you, and you should play the softest lightest shafts that you can control

jpjeffery

Assistant Pro
I'm not sure I'd really reached any conclusions, and the generalisation about steel shafts being heavier than graphite was by the staff member rather than me. :)

Having said that, I bought graphite shafted clubs back in the day because, as I understood it at the time, they're lighter and my back is injury prone so wanted the lighter version of the clubs I was buying. Whether they're right for my swing I can't say, and I use a trolley rather than carry my bag anyway.

Since, in my test session, I was hitting the graphite shaft and the steel shafts about the same distance I'm none the wiser as to which shaft is better for me.

As if golf wasn't already hard enough!
:rolleyes:

apj0524

Head Pro
Visit site
If I can offer some advise, consider going to another place to be fit, other than AG. I am looking at changing my irons and I currently play TM R7 Regular Graphite shafts, the pro how is giving me lessons feels that even though I have a relatively slow swing speed 75 mph for a 7i I would benefit from regular steel shafted irons.

So i arranged a fitting at a Range where they had a Launch Monitor and use real balls for the fitting, firstly I hit about 20 balls with my 7i then the same with Callaway X2 Hot, Callaway Apex, Mizuno EZ Forged, TM SLDR, TM Tour Preferred CB and TM Rocketbladz. In all cases the distances were similar but the dispersion was half my Graphites, I was amazed, the only issue we worked on was trying different shafts to bring the flight down, not that I had noticed because the flight was very similar to my graphites, but in the end I said I preferred the CBs with the stock KBS Tour shaft.

I then went to an AG store to try some TM Rocketballz as they still sell them, the LM was inside and after using the one at the range I just could not get on with just hitting into curtain and trusting what I saw on the screen.

So my experience has been that even though I have slow Swing Speed and graphites would seem to be the best for me the fitting showed the dispersion to be anything but ideal, so my advise would be to try and get a proper fitting where you can see the flight of the ball and the data, it was the best £30 I have spent in while.

However, just to make 100% sure the CBs are right for me my pro has loaned me a 7i & 6i to put in the bag for a few weeks to see how I get on with them on the course

Hope this helps

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Graphite is lighter and also offers more impact absorption so they are popular with players who need to maximise their swing speed and/or have dodgy wrists.

Graphite nowadays is pretty well made and consistent but I am guessing your Prosimmons probably have a relatively inexpensive and probably not very cutting edge shaft.

If you need lightness there are some excellent lightweights shafts around, in the 90 gram range. If you have the dodgy wrist probably better to stick with graphite. Naturally I would echo the advice to look somewhere other than AG.

MarkA

Head Pro
Visit site
How old are you, how long have you been playing, whats your handicap why are you playing with graphite shafts at the moment?

jpjeffery

Assistant Pro
How old are you, how long have you been playing, whats your handicap why are you playing with graphite shafts at the moment?
I'm 49 years old.

First round was 7/2/10 with lessons staying two years prior to that.

Official handicap is 24 but since I've not broken 100 since first contact with my club who gave me that handicap figure on a par 69 course it's really 28!

I'm playing with graphite because I wanted lighter clubs and I thought that graphite was intrinsically better.

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Personally I don't trust any AG data after several poor fittings but that's my decision. I would advocate looking at getting a second opinion and different monitors. I think with the plethora of shaft options in steel and graphite there will be a lot to consider but I really love the process of trying new gear so go in with an open mind and have fun

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
The staff member who was helping me was not pushy, good on him, but did suggest (based on his observation of my "easy" swing) that I stick with graphite shafts because I would have to generate more speed with the heavier steel shafts in order to generate any extra distance those clubs should be capable of producing.

Is that a load of bolleaux? Based on the fact that graphite shafts are significantly more expensive I'd like to believe so (rather than any desire to prove the guy wrong!) Am I really going to have to use steel shafts for evermore?

I'm not sure I'd really reached any conclusions, and the generalisation about steel shafts being heavier than graphite was by the staff member rather than me. :)

firstly, I took the comment relative to your existing graphite shafts - in which case it's probably accurate. As a generalisation it has no relevance.

the generalisation that most people will get a faster clubhead speed with a lighter shaft is also valid.

"Am I really going to have to use steel shafts for evermore? " was the bit that confused me!