The effects of a lighter shaft..

Fish

Banned
Visit site
The 130g being quoted is for standard DG S300

I'm sure the XP in the 52's is about 115-117g
Softer, higher launching than the DG S300

Still heavier than the 106 I now have so the issue is still relevant.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Due to "butt" size.....??
Or
Tip size.....??

Neither makes sense, especially as there was a demo shaft for you to try

These are what I used in the fitting and really liked them, they are 110g, came to ordering and phoning the order through and was told that due to butt size they weren't an option.

http://kbsgolfshafts.com/shafts/kbs-ctaper-lite

When questioned that they had them in the fitting bay, I've been informed this is due to shafts & heads being demo :confused:

I think coming down to 106g has become a step too far, but I'll see how I get on with them for a bit longer.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
The "butt" size , is the grip end
So , I'm confused

Here is the exact reply from AG on my twitter account "Alex recommend you need a Stiff but light version so DG SL but the CTaper lite isn't a option due to butt size of the clubs"

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Has anyone ever tested or looked deeply into the effects of lighter weighted iron shafts? What I mean is, beside swingweight, do you or have you noticed anything obvious when changing to a lighter shaft either at first or eventually just couldn't get away from?

Here's what I am initially seeing with my new clubs which have 24 gram lighter shafts,
which doesn't sound much, but it feels loads compared to what were in my MP-52's.

New TM's S300 SL = 106 grammes
MP-52's S300 XP = 130 grammes

I'm starting to see more of a slight fade with my light weight steel shafts with everything else being equal, so, what I'm trying to determine is, if I have a new set of irons I really like but have noticed more of a tendency to fade shots and the shafts are much lighter than I'm used to, would replacing them with a heavier version of the same shaft make a difference, on the DG fitting site it matches me to the new XP 95 S300 which are even lighter at 95 grammes :confused:

I'm also just catching the ground very slightly before striking the ball, something I haven't done for a long time, it's not excessive (no divots) but in the softer conditions has a bigger [slappy] effect and obvious loss of distance.

Has this change to a lighter shaft possibly made me get a little more quicker and as such I've lost what tempo I had prior with my heavier shafts and systematically the club head isn't get back on plain?

Is there anything I should or could try to do first before thinking about changing back to a heavier shaft.

From what I have searched and understand, I think, the shaft weight controls the total weight of the club more than any other element in a golf club, but matching the weight of the club to my natural sense of swing timing, tempo and strength isn't just a matter of total weight, it's also a matter of the headweight feel, ie the swingweight, so, is it possible to test for swingweight before you make a decision about the shaft weight needed, and if so, how
:mmm:

The shafts I tried initially in AG in my new irons were KBS Tour C-Taper [stiff] and felt great, unfortunately I couldn't get them fitted when the order was being telephoned through to TM, not even as an upgrade and was told these I have now are the closest or so similar I wouldn't notice the difference to the stats I produced, but I am, as they were 120 grammes, unless they were the taper lite at 110 grammes, but both still heavier!

Is it just too early (3 rounds) for me to be looking for results with such a big change and it's just a case of practice, practice, practice rather than a quick fix, or.......

It probably is too early. I would attempt to get rid of the slightly fat shot.

If this problem persists, liverbirdie is the man you may want to talk to. He has these in kbs stiff and has talked about wanting to try them in lighter shafts. I will mention this to him when we play later if he doesn't see this thread. A swop could be in order.

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Has anyone ever tested or looked deeply into the effects of lighter weighted iron shafts? What I mean is, beside swingweight, do you or have you noticed anything obvious when changing to a lighter shaft either at first or eventually just couldn't get away from?

Here's what I am initially seeing with my new clubs which have 24 gram lighter shafts,
which doesn't sound much, but it feels loads compared to what were in my MP-52's.

I'm starting to see more of a slight fade with my light weight steel shafts with everything else being equal, so, what I'm trying to determine is, if I have a new set of irons I really like but have noticed more of a tendency to fade shots and the shafts are much lighter than I'm used to, would replacing them with a heavier version of the same shaft make a difference, on the DG fitting site it matches me to the new XP 95 S300 which are even lighter at 95 grammes :confused:

I'm also just catching the ground very slightly before striking the ball, something I haven't done for a long time, it's not excessive (no divots) but in the softer conditions has a bigger [slappy] effect and obvious loss of distance.

Has this change to a lighter shaft possibly made me get a little more quicker and as such I've lost what tempo I had prior with my heavier shafts and systematically the club head isn't get back on plain?

Is there anything I should or could try to do first before thinking about changing back to a heavier shaft.

From what I have searched and understand, I think, the shaft weight controls the total weight of the club more than any other element in a golf club, but matching the weight of the club to my natural sense of swing timing, tempo and strength isn't just a matter of total weight, it's also a matter of the headweight feel, ie the swingweight, so, is it possible to test for swingweight before you make a decision about the shaft weight needed, and if so, how

The shafts I tried initially in AG in my new irons were KBS Tour C-Taper [stiff] and felt great, unfortunately I couldn't get them fitted when the order was being telephoned through to TM, not even as an upgrade and was told these I have now are the closest or so similar I wouldn't notice the difference to the stats I produced, but I am, as they were 120 grammes, unless they were the taper lite at 110 grammes, but both still heavier!

Is it just too early (3 rounds) for me to be looking for results with such a big change and it's just a case of practice, practice, practice rather than a quick fix, or.......
e

ive just been on a club fitting course and it's a mine field when dealing with changes in club specs. I have the Nippon modus 3 120's stiff in my irons which are 114g and are a great shaft, but I've tried and bought the new Nippon modus3 105's stiff at 106.5g after testing and found I swung 6mph faster which equates to 10-12yards further and no different in ball flight in height or shape. But I tried an Orka GS5 head on a 95g regular shaft with a 25g grip and swung at D4 the same as mine and it felt great and again not much difference in flight. But shaft bend/droop could be different from the 2 different shafts.

Im a little confused why they can't put the KBS shaft into your TM's.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

hope the following makes some sense bit jet-lagged in Seoul (around 20.45)

from the description of shot outcome issues

currently with the new lighter club set-up this problem is goin back to transition (previously with the heavier shafts the transition must have been more 'active' from the top)

so now with a similar transition move the lighter club from the top is goin a little ways out over the plane plus the 'active' move from the top is also losing the 'angle' between arms/hands & shaft a little ways too soon in the downswing so then the "low point" of the swing arc is at the back of the ball
along with very possibly now leaving too much weight coming into impact on the trailside.

so lost 'angle' leading to slight fats plus little ways out to in swing path with the face little ways open so the fades

ways forwards with the new club set-up would be to make sure you have weight into the leadside leading transition plus 'calming' down some the start of transition arms/hands/club so the 'angles' are not lost too early

the explanation from the company(AG) must be a typo - as it's tip diameter that must be the difference here so either in the UK they don't have the shafts in parallel tip, or taper tip (depending on the 'diameter needed to fit the hosel in the particular iron model) this must be due to the cost of carrying different shaft options (or maybes it's just down to the staff & the particular outlet of AG visited, but probably not am guessing if you tried a different company trying for the original spec they'd say the same - not available)

the shaft you wanted originally is an option back home - so maybes folks looking at the custom options & seeing that's it's 'available' are on the US TM site - guess that's because given the numbers of folks buying back home - TM perhaps think it's economically viable back home to carry more shaft options - where there company policy through cost won't allow as many options in the UK perhaps?

Last edited:

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Having spoken to someone in the trade. If TM & AG haven't got it in stock with the shaft you want they won't do an upgrade. The Rsi 2's are a discontinued product. TM & AG are selling off the old stock.

Yes you used to be able to get the Rsi 2's in whatever shaft was on TM's website, whilst it was a current product.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Info gained from a TM employee, "We didn't run C-Taper lite in RSi TP as it is a parallel tipped shaft, RSi TP need taper tip."

Just a shame AG had the set-up in their store though which I liked only then to be told I couldn't have them but..... :(

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Having spoken to someone in the trade. If TM & AG haven't got it in stock with the shaft you want they won't do an upgrade. The Rsi 2's are a discontinued product. TM & AG are selling off the old stock.

Yes you used to be able to get the Rsi 2's in whatever shaft was on TM's website, whilst it was a current product.

There not RSi 2's, they are Tour Preferred and not discontinued.

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
hope the following makes some sense bit jet-lagged in Seoul (around 20.45)

from the description of shot outcome issues

currently with the new lighter club set-up this problem is goin back to transition (previously with the heavier shafts the transition must have been more 'active' from the top)

so now with a similar transition move the lighter club from the top is goin a little ways out over the plane plus the 'active' move from the top is also losing the 'angle' between arms/hands & shaft a little ways too soon in the downswing so then the "low point" of the swing arc is at the back of the ball
along with very possibly now leaving too much weight coming into impact on the trailside.

so lost 'angle' leading to slight fats plus little ways out to in swing path with the face little ways open so the fades

ways forwards with the new club set-up would be to make sure you have weight into the leadside leading transition plus 'calming' down some the start of transition arms/hands/club so the 'angles' are not lost too early

the explanation from the company(AG) must be a typo - as it's tip diameter that must be the difference here so either in the UK they don't have the shafts in parallel tip, or taper tip (depending on the 'diameter needed to fit the hosel in the particular iron model) this must be due to the cost of carrying different shaft options (or maybes it's just down to the staff & the particular outlet of AG visited, but probably not am guessing if you tried a different company trying for the original spec they'd say the same - not available)

the shaft you wanted originally is an option back home - so maybes folks looking at the custom options & seeing that's it's 'available' are on the US TM site - guess that's because given the numbers of folks buying back home - TM perhaps think it's economically viable back home to carry more shaft options - where there company policy through cost won't allow as many options in the UK perhaps?

Agree.

The fact that a heavier shaft may have caused a more aggressive transition to be able to make the shaft load and work more and now with a 24g difference the same aggressive transition maybe causing this inconsistent ball striking. Go practise at the range, try backing off the pace you swing at say to about 80% and try with a narrower stance (6" gap between feet) and then assess how your swinging and ball contact goes.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
5g is a big change in weight let alone 25g. 25g is huge, it's like removing the weight of 7 X 1p coins from your shaft.

In the past I have been fitted for DG XP and DG SL and in both cases went back to mid weight PX 5.5 with better results. I'll just be sticking to the PX now.

A computer program cannot tel you what shaft weight is best for you. I actually swing a heavier shaft faster as I know where the club is so have confidence to give it a rip.

I think unless someone is a really slow swinger, super light shafts are a bit of a dangerous path to go down. Potentially pick up SS and lose angle of attack, face, path, face to path.... Bad trade off, good sales tool.

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Info gained from a TM employee, "We didn't run C-Taper lite in RSi TP as it is a parallel tipped shaft, RSi TP need taper tip."

Just a shame AG had the set-up in their store though which I liked only then to be told I couldn't have them but.....

You can get C Taper lite in taper tip?!!!!

Golfstorepro sell them so I can't see why you didn't get what you want? I'd dig deeper if I was you?

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
5g is a big change in weight let alone 25g. 25g is huge, it's like removing the weight of 7 X 1p coins from your shaft.

In the past I have been fitted for DG XP and DG SL and in both cases went back to mid weight PX 5.5 with better results. I'll just be sticking to the PX now.

A computer program cannot tel you what shaft weight is best for you. I actually swing a heavier shaft faster as I know where the club is so have confidence to give it a rip.

I think unless someone is a really slow swinger, super light shafts are a bit of a dangerous path to go down. Potentially pick up SS and lose angle of attack, face, path, face to path.... Bad trade off, good sales tool.

not really, it depends how you get the club set up? I tried a Orka GS5 head with 95g reg shaft with a 25g grip and swung at D4 same as mine yet saw no difference in traj, distance, feel-if anything it felt better then mine. The only issue I had was the size of the grip was a lot thinner then I'm used to and saw a draw more pronounced then my own. But it felt as tho I could be as aggressive with the 95g shaft as I do with my own 114g shaft.

daverollo

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Sounds like another good reason to avoid AG when it comes to club fitting. Only interested in making a sale!

The whole concept of a lighter shaft is to increase club head speed, up to a point. A lot will also depend on when a player releases the club, early or late. For me personally I had 3 different fittings (different companies) to see what the service and results were like before I pulled the trigger on making a purchase.

All showed to me I didn't return the club head back to the ball consistently square when using a heavier shaft. Nippon NS pro 105 works a treat though.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Sounds like another good reason to avoid AG when it comes to club fitting. Only interested in making a sale!

The whole concept of a lighter shaft is to increase club head speed, up to a point. A lot will also depend on when a player releases the club, early or late. For me personally I had 3 different fittings (different companies) to see what the service and results were like before I pulled the trigger on making a purchase.

All showed to me I didn't return the club head back to the ball consistently square when using a heavier shaft. Nippon NS pro 105 works a treat though.

Your first paragraph is unfounded and wrong, more so if you took the time to read my posts stating that I was present when they telephoned TM and also later quoting a TM employee as to availability, as such, no blame per se can be put at AG's door, my issue if any is with TM.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Intersting read as always with this type of thread. I've always been on the cusp of stiff with swing speed but always found them a little heavy/harder to control. Went with the option of hard stepping the CFC (Ping stock shaft - R flex) as a way of firming up. So many options out there these, with a decent fitter, there are no excuses for finding the optimum one for your game if you want to go down the CF route. Still a valid argument for off the shelf and I know many, far lower than me, that walked in, hit a few balls and walked out with the clubs