The effects of a lighter shaft..

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Has anyone ever tested or looked deeply into the effects of lighter weighted iron shafts? What I mean is, beside swingweight, do you or have you noticed anything obvious when changing to a lighter shaft either at first or eventually just couldn't get away from?

Here's what I am initially seeing with my new clubs which have 24 gram lighter shafts,
which doesn't sound much, but it feels loads compared to what were in my MP-52's.

New TM's S300 SL = 106 grammes
MP-52's S300 XP = 130 grammes

I'm starting to see more of a slight fade with my light weight steel shafts with everything else being equal, so, what I'm trying to determine is, if I have a new set of irons I really like but have noticed more of a tendency to fade shots and the shafts are much lighter than I'm used to, would replacing them with a heavier version of the same shaft make a difference, on the DG fitting site it matches me to the new XP 95 S300 which are even lighter at 95 grammes :confused:

I'm also just catching the ground very slightly before striking the ball, something I haven't done for a long time, it's not excessive (no divots) but in the softer conditions has a bigger [slappy] effect and obvious loss of distance.

Has this change to a lighter shaft possibly made me get a little more quicker and as such I've lost what tempo I had prior with my heavier shafts and systematically the club head isn't get back on plain?

Is there anything I should or could try to do first before thinking about changing back to a heavier shaft.

From what I have searched and understand, I think, the shaft weight controls the total weight of the club more than any other element in a golf club, but matching the weight of the club to my natural sense of swing timing, tempo and strength isn't just a matter of total weight, it's also a matter of the headweight feel, ie the swingweight, so, is it possible to test for swingweight before you make a decision about the shaft weight needed, and if so, how
:mmm:

The shafts I tried initially in AG in my new irons were KBS Tour C-Taper [stiff] and felt great, unfortunately I couldn't get them fitted when the order was being telephoned through to TM, not even as an upgrade and was told these I have now are the closest or so similar I wouldn't notice the difference to the stats I produced, but I am, as they were 120 grammes, unless they were the taper lite at 110 grammes, but both still heavier!

Is it just too early (3 rounds) for me to be looking for results with such a big change and it's just a case of practice, practice, practice rather than a quick fix, or.......

Last edited:

Tiger

Money List Winner
rub-of-the-green.blogspot.com
Hi

Ethan is your shaft man but I have seen this article about the various different weights in the Nippon family http://www.golfshaftreviews.info/index.php/nippon-shaft-n-s-pro-steel/

What I dont get is why you aren't getting back in plane with lighter shafts??? I'd have thought the opposite would happen. Maybe you are just being a little tentative? Based on my limited knowledge I don't know if the KBS C Taper is a different beast to the DG XP 95... but I'm stunned AG said it wasn't available as an upgrade... :eek:

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Hi

Ethan is your shaft man but I have seen this article about the various different weights in the Nippon family http://www.golfshaftreviews.info/index.php/nippon-shaft-n-s-pro-steel/

What I dont get is why you aren't getting back in plane with lighter shafts??? I'd have thought the opposite would happen. Maybe you are just being a little tentative? Based on my limited knowledge I don't know if the KBS C Taper is a different beast to the DG XP 95... but I'm stunned AG said it wasn't available as an upgrade... :eek:

I was in the store after my fitting when they rang Taylormade asking for the KBS Tour C-Tapers to be fitted but he was told they couldn't put them in, it was then that the alternative was offered and I went with it :confused:

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not sure after three rounds with new clubs and different shafts on very different ground conditions that I'd be wanting to swap out shafts just yet.

I always find I get a bit more slappy during winter just simply because anything less than a great strike takes a clump of mud too. For me, I'd be practising on the course much more (rather than the range that doesn't give you the same impact). Confidence will come back when you start getting used to the new setup

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
We are all different, but being a bit of a light weight myself with a moderate swing speed but quite a quick tempo, lighter weight shafts certainly have been a real benefit to me. I would say the main change for me is feeling I can swing the club more easily and get much better feel, distance and flight from a lighter shaft. No trackman numbers but just on using the various different demo clubs I have collected over the years, this seems to make more difference in some cases than shaft flex, e.g whereas I didn't really notice much difference between DG SL R300 and S300, I hit both much better than standard TT DG R300.

I am currently using MP53s with Dynalite Gold XP R300 (Mizuno DNA recommendation) and I wouldn't want to have anything heavier than that.

People talk about being able to feel where the head is in the swing and if the clubs are too light overall of if the swingweight is too light you may lose that, as I understand it though, most people won't notice a swingweight difference of a couple of points or so.

I don't think the TT fitting site is particularly fine tuned. I have used it a few times and I think it is only likely to give a rough guide. Only hitting the clubs will really tell you (you know that anyway).

One problem of course is that there is now so much choice that it is really easy (and tempting) to think when we don't hit the ball perfectly that somehow it is because the clubs aren't exactly right for us. Once that thought gets in you head then it is difficult to dislodge.

Are you sure about the weights you have put in your post.

According to the TT trimming guide Standard DG S300s weigh 130 but Dynalite XP S300 weigh 117.

http://www.truetemper.com/wp-content/uploads/2013-Product-Spec-Trimming-Guide_v2.pdf

Last edited:

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have XP 95 s300's Robin. What I noticed was that I cant get too quick with them, otherwise i lose the feel of where the club head is, end up flicking at the ball and firing it left.

When my tempo is good, they do feel superb though.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I've just changed from S300s ( 130g) to GS95s (100ish).
Swing weight very similar so they don't really feel very different. Clubs are about 15g lighter overall with the GS95 - heavier head?
Either way I'm hitting them sweet, maybe picked up a little swing speed but they seem to be working well.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm getting the complete opposite to the OP. I had xp95s300 that where very smooth and easy to hit, maybe more like a firm then a stiff.

I've tried standard sl300, kbs tour 120g and also px6.0 all of which run around the 120g-130g and all of which completely throw my tempo. Whether it's a physiological effect I don't know , but I get the feeling that my swing changes and forces me to try and force every shot with these. If I don't the I get big high fades.

I'm 99% sure my standard kbs120's are going to be leaving the bag shortly in favour of xp105/95 or kbs 90/105

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I'm getting the complete opposite to the OP. I had xp95s300 that where very smooth and easy to hit, maybe more like a firm then a stiff.

I've tried standard sl300, kbs tour 120g and also px6.0 all of which run around the 120g-130g and all of which completely throw my tempo. Whether it's a physiological effect I don't know , but I get the feeling that my swing changes and forces me to try and force every shot with these. If I don't the I get big high fades.

I'm 99% sure my standard kbs120's are going to be leaving the bag shortly in favour of xp105/95 or kbs 90/105

Sounds very similar to my experiences of the s300's and kbs tour. If you are thinking of changing, consider Nippon's lighter shafts too. I had them in my Titliest 712cb's... miss them, and thinking of putting them in my TM Rsi-tp's.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Had a look around and it seems used rsi2's are most common with kbs105's :thup:

Just means my almost new tp mc's will have to go. It was only the other day i noticed a similar patten to that of when I was trying to play px6

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have XP 95 s300's Robin. What I noticed was that I cant get too quick with them, otherwise i lose the feel of where the club head is, end up flicking at the ball and firing it left.

When my tempo is good, they do feel superb though.

Im the same Robin, used them for years in my MP53s.
As Andy says.. you can't get too quick, its easy for the body to get a ahead of the hands/arms.

I seem to struggle If I try out anything with a heavier shaft nowadays.
I reckon they'll come good mate :thup:

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Has anyone ever tested or looked deeply into the effects of lighter weighted iron shafts? What I mean is, beside swingweight, do you or have you noticed anything obvious when changing to a lighter shaft either at first or eventually just couldn't get away from?

Here's what I am initially seeing with my new clubs which have 24 gram lighter shafts,
which doesn't sound much, but it feels loads compared to what were in my MP-52's.

New TM's S300 SL = 106 grammes
MP-52's S300 XP = 130 grammes

I'm starting to see more of a slight fade with my light weight steel shafts with everything else being equal, so, what I'm trying to determine is, if I have a new set of irons I really like but have noticed more of a tendency to fade shots and the shafts are much lighter than I'm used to, would replacing them with a heavier version of the same shaft make a difference, on the DG fitting site it matches me to the new XP 95 S300 which are even lighter at 95 grammes :confused:

I'm also just catching the ground very slightly before striking the ball, something I haven't done for a long time, it's not excessive (no divots) but in the softer conditions has a bigger [slappy] effect and obvious loss of distance.

Has this change to a lighter shaft possibly made me get a little more quicker and as such I've lost what tempo I had prior with my heavier shafts and systematically the club head isn't get back on plain?

Is there anything I should or could try to do first before thinking about changing back to a heavier shaft.

Robin, are you sure you have this info right?

From previous fittings and someone who has played xps300 I think you have the info arse about face.

Dynalite xp's are know as a lighter version of the dynamic gold range not heavier, hence the LITE in the name.

I played xp95-s300 which were a 95g stiff, these are also available in xp105 (105g) and xp115 (105g) , from here you then venture into the dynamic gold range which starts at 120g

When fitted I was either a xp105 stiff which plays more like a light weight firm or a standard r300

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Robin, are you sure you have this info right?

From previous fittings and someone who has played xps300 I think you have the info arse about face.

Dynalite xp's are know as a lighter version of the dynamic gold range not heavier, hence the LITE in the name.

I think he's just got the weight for XP S300 wrong (see above). S300 SL = Superlite and are indeed 106 grammes.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Just had a reply from AG relating to this, it was recommend by AG I needed a Stiff but a lighter version so DG SL but the CTaper lite isn't a option due to butt size of the clubs, although that was what I was testing with in their bay!!!

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just had a reply from AG relating to this, it was recommend by AG I needed a Stiff but a lighter version so DG SL but the CTaper lite isn't a option due to butt size of the clubs, although that was what I was testing with in their bay!!!

Due to "butt" size.....??
Or
Tip size.....??

Neither makes sense, especially as there was a demo shaft for you to try