Wedges and bounce

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
I've got a set of RTX 2.0's in standard bounce but apart from little bump and runs I'm struggling with my 50* by hitting it fat despite weight over leading foot etc etc. It just seems to dig very easily.

So, I'm looking into high bounce 50* wedges but can only find SM6's. Do any other manufacturers do a variety as wide as the vokeys? I'm really liking the look of the PM grind mack daddy's but can't find them in high bounce :/ .....

any suggestions appreciated!

Soft hands

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Do you use the bounce when using the 50 degree?

Just sounds like you might be digging the leading edge, a higher bounced wedge might not necessarily override this.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Cleveland do high bounce wedges, if I remember right it's the number of dots on the sole. 1 is low, 2 medium and 3 high.

Alternatively, keep your weight only slightly favouring your left side, don't lean the shaft forwards and play the ball from the middle of your stance.

Having your weight forward, shaft leaning and ball back and no amount of bounce will let you hit the ground behind the ball.

[video=youtube_share;ua1A-xo7yLQ]https://youtu.be/ua1A-xo7yLQ[/video]

Soft hands

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It does save you from digging as badly on full shots. huge difference.

Yeah I've never thought of digging in on a full shot really just play them like any other iron I can catch them all heavy! Saying that I've never had a high bounce wedge.

When pitching and chipping I'm usually trying to slide the bounce under the ball.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
To a digger using a low bounce wedge on full shots can be a killer. Especially in winter.

As a digger I only use medium and high. I was glad to change my low bounce gap. It was costing me more shots.

Soft hands

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Yeah I'm the opposite I tend to pick the ball up cleanly if anything i'd like to take more of a divot.

So what do you do when pitching off tight lies?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yeah I'm the opposite I tend to pick the ball up cleanly if anything i'd like to take more of a divot.

So what do you do when pitching off tight lies?

Chip off a Tight lie is fine. slightly open the wedge and hit a touch fat to let the club slip in under the ball. Use the bounce as that's what it is there for.

If it a full shot I will just strike down as normal.

Doesn't get much tighter than this little chip at Bolton old links greens keepers revenge day.

[video=youtube;pBW0r5IvxiI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBW0r5IvxiI[/video]

I wouldn't fancy hitting this with a low bounce wedge. If I had a gun to my head and was forced to id have to lay the club well open.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Cleveland do high bounce wedges, if I remember right it's the number of dots on the sole. 1 is low, 2 medium and 3 high.

Alternatively, keep your weight only slightly favouring your left side, don't lean the shaft forwards and play the ball from the middle of your stance.

Having your weight forward, shaft leaning and ball back and no amount of bounce will let you hit the ground behind the ball.

[video=youtube_share;ua1A-xo7yLQ]https://youtu.be/ua1A-xo7yLQ[/video]
That's great, thanks for sharing.

Youre right, 3 dots is high bounce but I can't find anywhere that sells them in that option.