Wedge Fitting - your experiences

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
True tale....

Long time ago I won a comp in a magazine for a Cleveland Wedge fitting. I've never liked their irons and in fact been known to shank the doodahs out of them! Anyway, youve guess it, the fitting was a right disaster and Lucy Lockett was a prominent attendee. The fitter after a while pretty much gave up, muttering something like, "it's you mate!" So, I returned to my car for my Ping Wedge and showed him that it probably wasnt!

Part of the win was 18 holes on the course ...... there were 3 other winner all playing.... I played in the same 4 ball as the fitter and it got it up and down from all over the place using my old wedge and took the money of him!

10 days later the "new wedge" arrived in the post...it was on EBay within the hour! :)

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
True tale....

Long time ago I won a comp in a magazine for a Cleveland Wedge fitting. I've never liked their irons and in fact been known to shank the doodahs out of them! Anyway, youve guess it, the fitting was a right disaster and Lucy Lockett was a prominent attendee. The fitter after a while pretty much gave up, muttering something like, "it's you mate!" So, I returned to my car for my Ping Wedge and showed him that it probably wasnt!

Part of the win was 18 holes on the course ...... there were 3 other winner all playing.... I played in the same 4 ball as the fitter and it got it up and down from all over the place using my old wedge and took the money of him!

10 days later the "new wedge" arrived in the post...it was on EBay within the hour! :)
Fitting is only part of the process, you have to like what your playing with.

Joeadams92

Visit site
I got Sm7 fitted a few months ago and had 50,56,60 and its the best thing i had done , we tried every single grind in every shot that i would use them for, looked at numbers, feel , spin, divots etc.
Made a huge difference in what grind worked for me.

Highly recommended

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Craigelaw Golf Club is the Fitting Centre to go to in Scotland....it's like the national fitting centre in St. Ives.

Had a Titleist wedge fitting back in May/June and had some SM7s out of it. Excellent experience, and well worth it

Smasher

Medal Winner
Visit site
Fitted for SM7 hitting from grass to a green.
If you'd told me prior what the differences would be i wouldn't have believed you. Everything the same except the bounce, 2 ran out but 1 repeatedly bounced and checked. Swapped clubs every shot so i didn't get into a rhythm and one always checked, the others didn't.
Definitely recommend it regardless of handicap.

Wolf

Visit site
Fitting is only part of the process, you have to like what your playing with.
That for me is key with Wedges, my Vokey Wedges were both custom fit tried alsorts with lofts, lies and bounce. Got them fitted to exact specs and I absolutely hate them and have done since day 1. Only reason I never replaced them was I stopped playing for a good number of years and they were basically brand new when I started again in October time so once I've figured out what I want they'll be evicted permanently from my bag.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
The best wedge fitting I ever had was with Iain Clark of ICYGolf. He's a bit of a trek from Scotland (Leicester), but he's well worth the visit. Here's a link to the old thread I raised when I went to see him

https://forums.golf-monthly.co.uk/threads/icygolf-wedges.64169/

and the update on getting hold of them

https://forums.golf-monthly.co.uk/threads/icygolf-wedges.64169/page-4

Wow, can't believe that was over 5 years ago.... Also worth noting that I went to see Iain multiple times each year for about three years. Each time he refaced and refinished my wedges to look sparkling new again.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
i have only done one wedge fitting. it was at a callaway fitting center here in orlando that has since been shut down. we spent most of our time hitting full swings to figure out which grind worked best, then we went to the chipping/sand area for a little bit of short game work. i think the fitter and i had a bit of a breakdown in communication, because that was the opposite of what i wanted. i bought what he recommended, but then went to a different grind and had more success.

i think this is such an underserved area of fitting. my wedges are only a year old and i have no reason to switch them out, but i am interested in going to a couple fitters here in town to test out sm7 vs md4.
Just out of interest do you play in UK.
I play a lot in Orlando area and find the grass so different .
My wedges don’t work as well there.,I think the grinds on them are useless over there .
I bought some low bounce wedges and they worked better.

I am there in April for Golf hol.
If you find a good fitter will you let me know
Billy.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That for me is key with Wedges, my Vokey Wedges were both custom fit tried alsorts with lofts, lies and bounce. Got them fitted to exact specs and I absolutely hate them and have done since day 1. Only reason I never replaced them was I stopped playing for a good number of years and they were basically brand new when I started again in October time so once I've figured out what I want they'll be evicted permanently from my bag.
If you don’t like Vokeys try the Callaway PM grind.
Phil Mick designed them they look strange at first but they are fantastic wedges and look great imo.
Going to get some new ones in the US when I go in April.