Wedges - advice?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Winner - it's like you did my fitting! Fitter spent a lot of time with me, recommended off the bat 48, 54 and 60 (my PW is 43) and dispensing with my 55 and 64. Also felt, for value for money and the fact I had an issue at the other end of the bag that we focus more initially on the 'older' models, leaving options to have a look at distance clubs as well, and once things had been narrowed down look at the newer models to see if there was any significant difference to justify going the extra cost. For some reason the numbers with the MD4s and the Glides just didn't work as well for me as the RTX3 and SM7, although in fairness I did love the look of the MD4s. Ultimately, there wasn't much between the Clevelands and the Vokeys performance wise so tried the RTX4 and the SM8. The RTX4 had the most spin out of all the clubs I tried, but the fitter thought in terms of the additional cost it might not be worth it. Hit a snag with the RTX3 though in that all weren't available in the same finish, so one would have been in the black - I have to admit vanity played a role here (and the fitter advised it would look worn more quickly but performance would be fine) so have ended up going with the SM7! The fitter recommended adjusting the 48 (10 bounce, F grind) 1degree upright (also thought this would benefit my irons) but leaving the 54 and 60 as standard. Have also ended up with a 2nd hand RBZ stage 4 wood (same as my 3 wood) so that gap has been potentially addressed. Hopefully picking them up tomorrow and playing Wednesday.

The fitter did recommend I potentially consider a change of irons in due course (my game improving cobra s3s were bought 2nd hand, but were originally released 2011).... must admit I'm less sure of this, certainly not this year due to cost, and I'm playing as consistent as ever to be honest and would be hopeful that my hc should lower in the next couple of months. The wedges and 4 wood are probably enough equipment changes for this year.
Sounds good.
If you are going to change irons there will be bargins at the end of the year with all the stock they never sold during lockdown.
New models next year will bring the prices down.
Enjoy your wedges.

sunshine

Visit site
Thanks Dan. Not sure why I didn't look at Mizuno first. Maybe because I started with a 'Top 10 wedges of 2020' review list. The Mizuno T20's look very clean and classic. I see that they they come with a quite heavy shaft as standard (Dyn Gold Tour Issue S400 - 134 grams) which would be quite a bit heavier than the XP105 shafts in my other irons. However, this could be sorted by doing a "custom fit" with some online supplies. One offers the Nippon Modus Tour 105 shaft (at no extra cost), which would probably be closest. The only problem is that online custom fitting apparently adds another week or so to the existing 8-10 working day delivery times. In contrast, the Cleveland and Callaway wedges seem to come with Dyn Gold Tour 115g shafts as standard, which would probably be Ok. Incidentally, in case anyone else is searching, the best price I have found for the Cleveland RTX4 is £95, with £129 for both the Callaway MD5 and the Mizuno T20.

How long do you think you will keep these wedges? 2 years, 5 years, 10 years? In that context, waiting an extra week to get your Mizuno's custom fit shouldn't really be a consideration! And you will be able to find a matching shaft, you won't need to compromise on Nippon Modus, golfsupport has a full range of dynamic gold shafts, so do other retailers. If you get custom fit you will also be able to choose the same grips as your irons. It's not essential, but I like my wedges to feel like my irons, and grip and shaft have a big impact on that.

When I bought wedges, I wanted a classic shape: Vokey, Mizuno, etc, the club heads all look and feel very similar. If you then add the same loft/bounce spec, shaft, grip, they look and feel very very similar. So it was an obvious decision for me to match my Mizuno irons. If you're going to buy now in summer at full price with full stock, I don't see the point in compromising. Get the clubs that feel best to you (whatever the brand), with the spec you want.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
Just a quick comment 2 weeks in and a few rounds (5 rounds) played with the new wedges.

The 48 degree is my best friend, using it for 100 yards or so and chips and pitches when the green is above me / uphill. Just really consistent, and I find myself laying up to around the 100 marker just to use it rather than trying to get as close as I can to the green.

The 54 degree is going well, using it alot around the green (find I can be more aggressive with it) and although not quite consistent yet on pitches - I thinned one, immediately went uh-oh thinking that's through the green but it pitched on the green and pulled up; similarly, have thinned one through the green so still working on it a bit.

The 60 degree, not been used as much, however still needs a lot of work although I did chip in like a pro last Tuesday (ball in rough above the green, flag about 10ft on, ball beautifully popped up, just landed on green and rolled into the hole). I've used it in bunkers as well, such as they are at the minute, it's getting out fine, but just not travelling as far as I feel it should for the power of the swing - but that's on me and my technique, need a bunker lesson.

All in all, really pleased, thanks to all who provided advice.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I've used it in bunkers as well, such as they are at the minute, it's getting out fine, but just not travelling as far as I feel it should for the power of the swing - but that's on me and my technique, need a bunker lesson.

All in all, really pleased, thanks to all who provided advice.

If you need more distance from the bunker, try your 54 or 48.
If you hit your 60 harder, it will just go higher

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My first post, so please go easy. Sounds like my issue is similar to the OP's. I am looking for a gap wedge (probably 52 degree) and have narrowed my search down to two within my budget: the Callaway Jaws MD5 and the Cleveland RTX4. Popping along to a pro shop that stocks them and trying them on the range seems to be out of the question at the moment, so it looks like I will have to buy on spec.

If it’s relevant, my irons (down to PW) are Mizuno JPX EZ forged. My sand wedge is a fairly old Titleist Vokey SM4 58-09, which I love, but am only really comfortable hitting it 50-60 yds max. I hit my PW 100-110 yds with a full swing, so have to “manufacturer” 60-90 yd shots with it, which I don’t find easy when the green is protected front and back. I am therefore thinking modern 52/54-degree wedge with grooves to generate plenty of spin. Any thoughts appreciated.

Phil
(hcp 14)

I have the RTX 3. Great club, love the V shaped sole for high/low shot shaping.

You can still pick up the 54 (I would recommend the 11 2dot)
https://www.gamolagolf.co.uk/acatal...MIoprVwZKx6gIVi7HtCh0HeA_7EAYYASABEgLphfD_BwE

https://www.tonyvalentine.com/cleveland-rtx-3-wedge-copy