Wedge setup, anyone play with just one wedge plus PW?

MartynB

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Had my Ping G25s for 6 years or so and bought 5 to LW including UW (gap) as fairly new to golf at the time.

I don’t carry the LW much, barely use the UW so only really use the SW for round the green stuff. Fancy getting something new with a bit more bite to try and stop the ball better on these slick summer greens.

I will keep the PW in play as it’s all good for full shots, tell me why I shouldn’t buy a 56 Ping glide 2.0 as my only short game wedge, although goodness knows which grind I would go for 🤔

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Spot on.
My PW is 50 deg I believe and the SW is around 56.
So you could say my 9 is a modern PW and my PW is a modern gap wedge
Here are all my wedges

CIMG0759.jpg

MartynB

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Spot on.
My PW is 50 deg I believe and the SW is around 56.
So you could say my 9 is a modern PW and my PW is a modern gap wedge
Here are all my wedges

View attachment 27681
Which of course was the way before lofts were strengthened, my PW is 45 but I can use it well from 100yds down to 40 and a bump and run. 56 would do 60 yds with height plus the close stuff I reckon.

Kaizer_Soze

Head Pro
Visit site
My PW is a Lynx #BB Tour - 42*, I also carry a Cleveland RTX CB 50* and a Benross Zip-It 56. I know there is a big gap between my 42 and 50 but I prefer to carry a 16 Cleveland hybrid plus my 17 Lynx #BB Tour 3 iron, there is 10-15 yard difference at the top end of my bag, I'm comforatable with the bottom end.

Last edited:

Wolf

Visit site
Be very rare to find a single wedge set up these days due to the lofts on clubs in search of distance. Most PW nowadays must me around 45° maybe stronger in some cases. When really the clubs actually a 9iron with a P printed on it.

Mine sits at 46° so as a result I have a GW (50°) then a 54 & 58°. Ends up meaning have a set of 4 Wedges.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There’s almost two questions in here:

1) does anyone actually have a single wedge setup; and

2) of those (including me) that carry 3 or 4 wedges, how many do you use?

I have the PW that came with my set, a 52, 56 and 60. Use the PW and the 52 a lot, 56 only in bunkers, 60 only if I need to get over something with a tight ish pin.

I could probably cope with just my 52, but there aren’t other clubs I’d rather have in my bag than the 56 and 60

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Think my PW is about 45 and other than that I only have the SW at 56

PW for almost everything not in a bunker and sandwedge..... Well it's for when I'm in sand

I say PW for 'almost' everything because I'm often use 9 or 8 for bump and run

So I guess I don't use any wedges 🤔

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
I have a PW, 56 and 60 but I could probably play with just PW. Find it to be the most versatile club in the bag for me

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When the loft of a 9 iron was around 46 degree I carried only one wedge for over 10 years . A 52 with a broad sole but medium bounce. Then they changed the type of sand in our bunkers and had to add in a high bounce SW.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
There’s almost two questions in here:

1) does anyone actually have a single wedge setup; and

2) of those (including me) that carry 3 or 4 wedges, how many do you use?

I have the PW that came with my set, a 52, 56 and 60. Use the PW and the 52 a lot, 56 only in bunkers, 60 only if I need to get over something with a tight ish pin.

I could probably cope with just my 52, but there aren’t other clubs I’d rather have in my bag than the 56 and 60
I could have written that word for word for myself 👍

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
IMO the PW is really just part of the iron set for my bag, it looks like my 9 iron, plays like my 9 iron.. its an iron. I see me as have two wedges, a 52 and a a 56.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I'd guess most are more proficient with a wedge (>50°) than I am. I'd rather do half, quarter & dink shots with 45PW than risk thinning a 50/52/54 etc

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have four wedges technically. But I don't really consider the PW a wedge, it's more like a 10 iron really. And the 60° I only use in greenside bunkers, never anything else. The 50° gets used a lot - 100 yards full shot and 50-60 yard half shots. 56° gets used less frequently - 80-85 full shot (although sometimes I'll use a half 9 iron instead from there), or any chip where I need to go higher over a bunker or something.

I don't think I could get by with only one wedge other than PW, since my PW is a very strong 44°. I could stand to lose the 60° though if I needed another slot in the bag.