Wedge setup, anyone play with just one wedge plus PW?

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I have 4;
PW, 50, 54 and 60.

I would love to justify fewer clubs in total and just carry 10 or 11 clubs. However as it is, I feel I would be handicapping myself too much at that end of the bag.

I have my distances for these clubs from 115 yards and in. I also use the 54 for most chips around the green where I need to carry it any distance. The 60 is used out of almost all greenside bunkers (very effectively) as well as any lob shots or shots out of thick rough that I'd play like a bunker shot.

While I could possibly learn to play more shots with the 54 I use the 60 so well in the bunkers that I'd now see it as an essential part of my bag.

Would much rather sacrifice clubs at other end of the bag than mess with my wedge set up. Wedges are the scoring clubs. The chance of you getting a shot much closer with a 4 iron, than you would with a hybrid or a 5 iron seem pretty remote for me - compared with having the right clubs to use from 10 to 100 yards where you have a much better chance of hitting it close.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Had my Ping G25s for 6 years or so and bought 5 to LW including UW (gap) as fairly new to golf at the time.

I don’t carry the LW much, barely use the UW so only really use the SW for round the green stuff. Fancy getting something new with a bit more bite to try and stop the ball better on these slick summer greens.

I will keep the PW in play as it’s all good for full shots, tell me why I shouldn’t buy a 56 Ping glide 2.0 as my only short game wedge, although goodness knows which grind I would go for 🤔

the grind is the factor.

I got my vokey 54 (can't remember the letter) but it is cut away a bit on the sole to make it much easier to slide the club under the ball.

Have had very good results with this. But it is rubbish for bunkers, so have gone to the 60 with 12 degrees of bounce for all greenside bunkers. This has transformed me from a poor to mediocre bunker player, to a very decent bunker player.

Hence why i think it would be tough for you just to carry a 56. What will be good for bunkers will possibly make it much harder to play short chips or lobs from bare lies.

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
i could easily play Pw plu one wedge. My Pw at 45deg does me from 120 to 60 yards, and the 52 does 60yards and in, if loft is needed. The 58 only comes out for (like on sunday) where i need alot of height, i.e. 80 yards over trees to a green after shanking it... I must swing quite differently to some here as I find the 52 very playable in bunkers with the face open, and off tight lies. Theextra wedge is only there because I had the space.

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
I really only have 2 speciality wedges. 56 and 60. The 56 is pretty much used all around the green and from around 90 yards in. The 60 only gets used for hard greenside bunkers and thick greenside rough where you need it up and out quickly. To be honest I don't have enough time to practice with the wedges I have, so having anymore than 2 would seem overkill.

Bxm Foxy

Visit site
I think it's nice to have a good balanced gap of wedges. Can carry 14 clubs, so may as well get 'em in the bag.